Uwharrie 4x4Cross Questions & Answers - Old Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
WHat is the plan to minimize environmental impact?

How do you propose to combat those that will complain about excess erosion caused by tire spin in an attempt to go fast.

Has there been any consideration given to the potential to damage vegetation along the trails? What about trees should a vehicle go off trail

What spill containment measures will be taken? Are the appropriate EPA permits in place for an "autmotive competition containing contaminant fluids"?

What participant insurance is being offered?
What about spectator?
What license or qualifications will be placed on the drivers.

Q) Where do I park my truck and trailer ? If for the day or over nite ? (ties in with below )

Q) Camping ? You mentioned trail side camping. I'd prefer to stay with my truck and trailer. Or if I drive my jeep down, I'd like a 'spot' other than trail side to put my doors, and camping supplies, other than setting out in the woods somewhere.

Q) You mentioned the camp sites. Typically on any given weekend they are 1/2 booked by boaters and other folks using UNF. Will there be fields or other 'open' camping areas available ?

Q) Day parking - If lodging is left to us, where do I park/unload for the day ? Will there be room for big trucks/trailers ? (Semi trucks/RVs/Campers etc.)

Q) On the phone you mentioned a shuttle bus type service for remote parking ? Can you elaborate on that ?

Q) You mentioned food - More details please ? Just during the event or for the entire weekend, morning-> evening

Q) You mentioned entertainment as part of the spectator fee. Details ? Also you mentioned it be at the staging area (Kings something or other)

Working on it as we speak. There will be a bunch of these answers on the website tonight. Vendors will play a large part in your answers too. As they sign up, I'll have their logos posted and advertise how they will be part of the event. All that is going to pan out here shortly. We literally just got the website up 2 days ago. Give us a chance to add all the content.

Along the lines of register/pay now, participate 4 months later...

I would sign up today IF I did not have to be concerned with paying the whole registration fee now. I *think* the mass concern is with paying now, then finding out later that either (a) I cannot participate, or (b) for some reason it falls through, and now I'm out $175.

Now clearly you want to force a real commitment w/ registration, so all 160 slots don't get filled, only to have 100 show up.

Would it be feasible to have registation require, say, $50 now, understood non-refundable if the regsistrant bails, and the rest due prior to participation? E.g. pay up to receive your racer ID #?

Also - are you aiming for even #'s in all four classes? If so... how do you anticipate dealing w/ folks who register for one class (e.g., modified stock), but show up fitting another catagory (e.g., full modified)?

What about traveling on the trails, say I camp on daniel and want to go over to Kodak, can I jump in my rig and drive over? If not, will there be bathrooms on the trail? Those are some long ass walks to have to take a shite:)

I only have one response for this. HAVE YOU SEEN HOW MANY HITS THIS THREAD HAS GOTTEN? Would YOU want that many people calling you? Realize, this is a small business, running out of my home for now. If you are a business with a valid liscence, I would be glad to show you the vendor link with all that information. There is an email on the about us page for marketing information.
BTW You are a class A sales person.....

If you would put the info out there and not hide it maybe you would not get that many hits..... Yes I'm looking for info on it for a vendor, but I would like to know first what other types of vendors are in now and how many you are taking and what the cost is. Can I not get that info about what it takes to be a vendor? Your web site has nothing on it and this Q@A was made for it was it not?

Roundtable meeting

We are going to answer the regulations questions on friday at the meeting. We will post them on the website after the meeting.If you would like to come let us know. Thanks for all your support.
Sean-D.

Just a suggestion

You may consider contacting Lance on Pirate4x4.com. If you don't know what it is, its the larges 4x4 site in the world dedicated to rock crawling. IF you can get them behind you, maybe even to come out and compete, you would find a shiton of following coming out of the woodwork.

In all honestly, I think this is a great idea, I may even beat the shit of my rig out there with everybody else. BUT!!! As with anything, right now this is new and shiny and everybody is interested. As time goes on, there is always the chance that you won't get the attention and responce you once thought you would. Getting pirate involved, could make a HUGE impact on the success of this event as far as publicity is concerned. If, buy some strange reason you were able to get lance or camo to come out. I would almost garrenttee that you'll also get people that are top of the industry in competeing.

I wouldn't open a tread about it without contacting lance directly first, support from him will garrentee acceptance on pirate, there not that nice to new guys sometimes.:rolleyes:

CJ

Here are my questions:

-How are you going to handle the crowds? The trails at uwharrie aren't exactly easily accessible by foot. I could easily see Kodak rock or daniel get clogged with a bunch of rigs driven by people who just want to watch. More rigs on the trail, just sitting there isn't a good thing.

-Will it be easy for spectators to move around at URE or are they just *stuck* at one spot all day?

I am actually impressed with the details already taken care of but there are always more details. However, you are getting on this early and the big stuff (i.e. permission to use the land) is already taken care of. I will be interested to see who is all sponsoring this event.

I would have all the ducks in a row before going to Pirate. If not, you'll be flooded with questions, calls, posts, e-mails, etc 10X what you are getting here on NC4x4. At that point, everyone would be too skeptical to participate

my only real question is where is the promotion!? April isn't that far off, and I frequent pirate, nc4x4, and about 3 other forums, I read about 4 different offroad magazines and yet this is the first I have heard about this. I don't even know the name of the website.

Just to clarify, I am def on board, I think the event sounds great.

I have some questions about A class-

1. Rear traction control is ok.
--you mean like a limited slip?

2. Must have AGGRESSIVE OFFROAD TIRES 33" OR LESS.
--self explanitory

3. 2” Lift and less.
--suspension or body lift?

4. No Large cut-outs.
--very vague...can fenders be trimmed up at all?

5. No Suspension Modifications.
--what about a two inch lift, a la the 2" lift maximum?? what about disconnecting the sway bar? Johnny-joint type shackle mounts? different leaf springs than stock? give us a little more clarity here...

6. No lockers.
--self explanitory

7.Stock Drive train.
--does this mean no gear changes in the differential or transfer case? what about normal engine upgrades like intake, carb/EFI, spark, camshaft, and exhaust mods? fuel injection on a vehicle that came from the factory w/ a carb? i'd assume unless it's stock, no forced induction. what about an engine that is sold as a replacement for the stocker but is of a larger displacement?

One more thing, does this class need to run all it's doors or can they be removed? how about half-doors or tube doors?

thanks for helping me clear this up.

Q) How is the prize $$ amount or value determined ?

Site says - " Note: Award proceeds will be 50% Cash and 50% Prizes."

So using the top $10,000 prize/award. That would be $5,000 cash and $5000 in prizes..

How is the prizes $$ amount is determined ?

MSRP ?
Vendor ?
You?
Averaged retail price using several sources.

I guess my concern would be...

Someone wins, and they get $5,000 cash, and a $5,000 Lift kit for a TJ.. ?

Are the prizes earmarked for a particular win/slot ?
Or are the prizes pooled up to be selected by the winers in some order ?

Q) Is this a one shot run? or do we get best of 3 ? or average time of 3?

I'm SURE it's going to have to be a 1-shot run, at least for the primary competition.
160 participants, starting every 7 minutes = 18+ hrs of time.. and taht's only going ONCE per rig.

IN the A class how can you have a 2" lift but also no suspension mods? Also do factory Posi units count as a locker or can you still run it in the A class with a posi?

How can a Rubicon run in the B Class when they come with two lockers and your rules say that B class can only have one locker?

body lifts are not suspension lifts.
Then it should say Up to 2" body lift and no Suspension lift.... That would be a little easier to follow. but when most people talk about having a 2" or 3" lift most of the time it is suspension.
It would make it real easy if the classes had the info and had definitions for it.

like max 2" lift ( no more the 2" of spring lift over stock)
no suspension mods ( you must run the same type of springs and axle system as stock)

No Lockers ( no lockers of any type, no e lock, no e lock/posi or air lock, factory type posi is ok)

You got to remember that people are going to pay and sign up now then may be find out that they will be playing with the big boys and not like it. If I thought I was going to be in A class and going to have fun then got bumped to B or something and had a rig say that was bone stock other then a 2" spring lift and found that I'm in B I would not have signed up. But if the 2" lift is springs then all is good and fun.
Thats what I'm talking about.
If you get bumped to a bigger class will it cost more money?
If they sign up in the wrong class then yes it should but if you change the classes how can you?
That is why I think you need to define the classes better now before people sign up.

According to the vehicle class regulations as they stand right now -- just because I have a set of lower ratio aftermarket T-case gears (which are still only about 75% as low as a Rubicon’s), I would have to compete in the C Class, directly against rigs running up to 38” tires and darn-near unlimited modifications… with my otherwise B Class-equipped (mostly harmless) Isuzu Rodeo on 32 inch M/Ts ?????

These regulations are not set in stone.
Good!

What do you think about redefining the B Class regs to read something a bit more like this:

B CLASS – MODIFIED STOCK
…Lovingly referred to as the “Rubicon Class”

1: Must have AGGRESSIVE OFF-ROAD TIRES – 35” MAXIMUM
2: Up to 6” of Total Lift – Body and/or Suspension combined
3: 1 or 2 Lockers
(so a Rubicon can actually be in the ‘Rubicon Class’ with its 2 factory lockers)
4: NO LONG-ARM SUSPENSIONS!
5: Original Axles and R&Ps ONLY – NO SOLID AXLE SWAPS!
6: 1 Transfer Case – with NO ratios lower than 4.7:1
7: Engine mods allowed, but NO ENGINE SWAPS!
8: Cut-outs and/or trimmed fenders allowed

Doing so would allow, for example…
-- a Detroit-lock’d Toyota Pickup, with Marlin gears, on 35” Trxus M/Ts
-- an Isuzu Rodeo, with 3.07:1 Tera Low T-Case Gears, 2 ARB lockers, and 34” LTBs
-- a Jeep Rubicon, with Rocktrac & Trulok, running 33” MT/Rs
…to all compete with one anther in the SAME CLASS, exactly as they should.

Just a thought.

Cheers!
Smiley

I don't think 2 lockers, crawlers, and lower gearing would be "modified stock" Those are only gonna be on a pretty serious wheeler. Definately "C" class. I also think that stock should mean stock..... no lift (body or susp), stock everything. The regs seem pretty good as they are.

gotta problem with the Tcase gear ratio. I'm 5.44 in an otherwise Rubicon built TJ.
I suggested to Sean he limit total crawl ratio to 100:1

Ratio

Why would crawl ratio be an issue in a speed event?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back