Uwharrie Trail Map - 2010 Update, Need your Input!

DRaid, love the idea of posting it up in the truck! That does happen a lot on the trail. I think Driver's side rear window would be a good spot that won't block the driver's view. Heck just tape the dang thing to your door and roll!

I want the one with the automatically updating "You Are Here" feature. I realize the electronics will make it a little thicker and will add to the cost but I'm a gadget guy anyway :)

I want the one with the automatically updating "You Are Here" feature. I realize the electronics will make it a little thicker and will add to the cost but I'm a gadget guy anyway :)

For $1000 I'll gut the internals in this device and attach it to the laminated maps for you. :p Do you want that in grey, black, or orange duct tape?

Would be awesome to have this as a downloadable GPS map. One can dream I guess.

Well so far I have only heard good things about the maps reception/accuracy on the trails. Again if anyone has any issues or feels revisions need to be made please just let me know/post up here.

Speaking of revisions another one has been made. I sent over a slightly revised copy to Deborah Walker. Hopefully I will get some feed back from her on how to make the map better etc. :beer:

Would be awesome to have this as a downloadable GPS map. One can dream I guess.
Do you have a smart phone? I recently downloaded "My Tracks" and have been using it to record my biking trips. Awesome App and free.
It records your track and data (how long you were moving, max speed, avg speed, elevation change, etc) and displays it on a google map.
Said google map is transferrable to any smart phone and then you can lay your current GPS location over that map.
I just can't believe we've got all the "Star Trek" crap these days :lol:.
Garmin Mapsource is a great program for modifying tracks after collecting RAW data. That is what I did when I made the map for Gulches ORV park. Either drove or walked everything, then deleted all the unnessecary points from the track. Then I took the tracks and turned them into routes.
If you can get me raw Garmin GPS data, I can clean it up for ya. I might have some data laying around but its incomplete at best.

Very nice map! I have been considering the idea of "retiring" the old map that my wife and I put together years ago, and your map would be a perfect replacement for it.

How 'bout it folks... does anyone still use our old map?

http://home.windstream.net/ezduzit/uwharrie.gif

I'm gonna be honest, its going to take A LOT of effort to switch over to the new map from this one. This has been the standard for....well, evar! You did a good job.

I agree, it's gonna be hard to switch, in fact I'm not even going to try :)

My copy of "old school" map is laminated and in the rig already.

PLEASE don't retire it Don.

I'm gonna be honest, its going to take A LOT of effort to switch over to the new map from this one. This has been the standard for....well, evar! You did a good job.

That's a very nice compliment... I don't know what else to say other than thank you. :)

I agree, it's gonna be hard to switch, in fact I'm not even going to try :)

My copy of "old school" map is laminated and in the rig already.

PLEASE don't retire it Don.

To you JC, and others, I also extend a thank you. I/we will most likely keep up the old map as we have done for a good number of years. I really don't remember when we first started it, but I will guess somewhere around '96 or '97. I know people still use it as I see printed copies of it frequently when out and about. Personally, I don't see any logical reason why there can't be two or more maps so folks can have a choice as to which one they prefer to use. :)

I think Don and JC's maps are chiseled in stone! this one will level your ride! LOL DRaider90 gave me permission to hand these "new fangled" maps out to the lost and confused at the forest! Thanks again. The map has already helped several new people last weekend! DRaider90, stop by and have a Dog and a cold drink on me!

When I designed this map its purpose was to replace a great but outdated map made by Smiley for the Isuzu group that I wheel with and organize trips for. I actually used his map as the base/idea for mine:

abombasticfx.com_UNF_Map.gif

After I finished the map I decided to cross post it here to get feed back, and for it to possibly help a broader range of people. I never expected it to take off like it has, or to replace the map made by Don, the Forest Service, or any other map. I am flattered for Don/Darlene even briefly considered retiring their map in lieu of mine. But there is plenty of room for there to be multiple maps, each map has its own pros and cons that suit different people.

And it was great talking to you on the phone Terry, I can't wait till this weekend when will be able to talk more/brainstorm etc. :beer:

And again if anyone wants to print these out and hand em out feel free. The more people these maps are able to help the better. :driver:

Did u see the laminated copy at terrys?

I saw it sitting there on the table, but I didn't get to take a look at it. It should have a nifty little "You are here Arrow" on it also so people know where they are at.

I am all ready working on the Summer revision of the map to be released June 1st:

badinlaketrailmaprevise.jpg

I am also working on a Mini Poster that I will be carrying around with me, it will be 11"x17". If there is an interest in these I will work out a way for them to be available, but I don't see a lot of people wanting to pay for a trail map even if its bigger/clearer.

http://img190.imageshack.us/img190/9528/badinlaketrailmapposter.jpg

So far revisions for the Summer map update include:

OBSTACLES:
Put "The Rut" back on Saw Mill.
Added "Mini Hill" to Saw Mill.
Added "Descent" to Rocky Mnt.
Added "Diff Rocks" to Rocky Mnt.
Added "Hump" to Dickey Bell.
Added Detail and Adjusted Difficulty of the "Rocky Climb" on Dickey Bell.
Added "Rut Hill" to Daniel
Added "The Z Turn" to Daniel
Added "3 Path Descent to Daniel", including detail/line difficulty.
Updated "3 Path Hill" on Daniel including line difficulty.

OTHER:
New Custom Tread Lightly logo, with the 5 basic "TREAD" rules.

Can a 11" X 17" map be laminated?

Something was brought to my attention, which I have known but I never asked the opinion of others on.

Some of you may notice that the trail rating system on our map is different than the Forest Service map. And due to the fact I am able to include the difficulty ratings of the bypasses and other lines I don't exactly follow the Forest Service difficulty ratings.

What came up was how Dickey Bell has been upgraded to a "Difficult" trail on the Forest Service map, but on ours it is a "Moderate" trail. In my personal opinion the entire trail does not warrant a "Difficult" rating because of the Hill Climb. The Hill Climb has a bypass on the right, and for a stock vehicle Dickey Bell is a Moderate trail.

So this is the perk of having updates to the map during the trail season as the trails change. Does anyone think Dickey Bell has increased enough in difficulty overall to warrant a "Difficult" rating for our map?

No comments on the Dickey Bell issue? No other input/feed back on the map? Half the benefit of having a Summer update for the map is people to get to comment as the trails change etc. As most of you know all comments/ideas are considered and most make it into the map. :beer:

I do not agree that the right side little trail is a bypass.
I rmbr when there was a fence at the top of that little thing and you could go around in a bike or perhaps an ATV.

Honestly that trail doesn't need a bypass and I agree with Chris - its moderate. That trench hole didn't used to be there, open-open vehicles are digging it out but its not difficult.
maybe in the rain.

And there is nothing else on that trail that warrants a moderate scale. Thats the only section. Hell the boulder at the bottom used to be 'hard' now its wider and you don't even touch it on either side.

this new map is awesome, nice update to an old classic!

Have not been on DB this year yet, but can't imagine that has progressed to difficult. It is tight in places but moderate at best.

BTW- I wonder if you'd consider a version of the map that was from Mocasen Creek south. Since all the OHV trails are south of 576 it seems like if you focused on just that 1/2 of the park then you could rotate the orientation, expand the trails and have more room for your notes on obstacles and such.

Having some cartography under my belt, I took a Topo map and did my own a few years ago. I'll see If I can dig it up if you're interested.

Also, it would help to thin out your lines, loose the bold text and decrease the size of the font a few points. There's so much going on with that map it gets confusing to read.

definitely the most informative map I've seen yet. :beer:

I do not agree that the right side little trail is a bypass.
I rmbr when there was a fence at the top of that little thing and you could go around in a bike or perhaps an ATV.

I know the path on the left that is blocked off isn't a bypass. But unless something has changed (considering I only saw Dickey Bell at night during the night run) if you go right near the bottom you bypass the hill climb. I don't think it was an illegal bypass, but a replacement for the one that had been blocked off. You never know I guess. Either way Dickey Bell is not more than a moderate trail, and by what has been said it seems most agree.

BTW- I wonder if you'd consider a version of the map that was from Mocasen Creek south. Since all the OHV trails are south of 576 it seems like if you focused on just that 1/2 of the park then you could rotate the orientation, expand the trails and have more room for your notes on obstacles and such.

I have actually considered this, and even worked on the idea a little. It would be a good idea as a secondary map, but there would have to be the current version also. Because its not only for the Trails but how to get to and from the trails etc. We will see what I can get done on it.

Having some cartography under my belt, I took a Topo map and did my own a few years ago. I'll see If I can dig it up if you're interested.

Also, it would help to thin out your lines, loose the bold text and decrease the size of the font a few points. There's so much going on with that map it gets confusing to read.

definitely the most informative map I've seen yet. :beer:

badinlaketrailmaprevise.jpg

That may be more to your liking. It is the "de-cluttered version", and will be updated (as you can tell its the April edition) in June also.

Very nice map! I have been considering the idea of "retiring" the old map that my wife and I put together years ago, and your map would be a perfect replacement for it.
How 'bout it folks... does anyone still use our old map?
http://home.windstream.net/ezduzit/uwharrie.gif
I had (have if I can find it) an even older version of your map that is even less cluttered than the one in the link. I really like it for the purposes of discussing/deciding what trails to run with a group, especially if for those who know the trails fairly well anyway. It was also handy if you had to show someone how to get somewhere. Eli's map is very informative but for me it is too much information and optically challenging, even the uncluttered version, to be of easy use on the trail. Your older version was straight and to the point and easy to read and figure out where you were when you come intersection without having to digest a lot of non important info.
Imho, the best option would be to have Eli's map on one side and a very stripped down trail only map on the other. Once your at/on the trails all you need to know is how to get out and difficulity ratings in a easy to glance at while driving version. Maybe it's just me but Eli's map is optically hard to read, it could just be the color schemes but my very old map is easier on the eyes.

Back