Uwharrie Trail Work Day #3, June 19th

Will you be attending Trail Work Day #3?

• Total voters

DRaider90

Uwharrie Off-Road Volunteering
We are trying something new, monthly work days instead of bi-monthly. So we will still have the July 17th work day, but we will be also be doing a work day this month.

As usual the meet up will be 9AM at the Hunt Camp. Normal trail work including trash pick up, silt trap cleaning, putting up diamond markers, etc will be on the to do list. Plus I am working with Terry on a list of heavier work, which will probably include working on blocking illegal bypasses etc.

Something new for this work day is going to be a Work Day Breakfast. The details haven't been hammered out yet, but I am going to talk with Cris (Outpost Owner) about setting up an 8AM Work Day Breakfast. I will post more details as they are worked out.

Lunch will be held between 1PM-2PM again, it seemed to work nicely last time. We will be meeting at the Double Parking Lot for lunch. You can bring your own lunch or stop by and support our local HotDog Terry. If you are running late for lunch, don't sweat it just look for the group hanging out at Terry's HotDog Stand.

So here is the tentative schedule:

8AM : Work Day Breakfast
9AM : Meet up at the Hunt Camp
9:30AM-1PM: Trail Work
1PM-2PM : Lunch at the Double Parking Lot
2PM - : Trail Riding/Any Left Over Trail Work

If you have any tools/supplies please bring them if possible. The Forest Service has only a limited supply of tools, so the more the merrier!

I am going to try my best to be there. I don't have a rig right now, so if anyone has a spare seat I can occupy, I would greatly appreciate it.

Has Terry Savery provided any details on what work will need to be done on this next work day? I realize it's a bit far away, but if we can get an idea then we can better organize and make sure everything gets done. Also it would help us to determine what tools are needed.

I'm supposed to be out of town this weekend so I'm putting myself on the tentative list. I'll do my best to rearrange my schedule to make this work day.

Durn same day as the ECORS RACE :(

Cant make both

me and my friend might be there. i'll be driven an '81 toyota

Every body is more than welcome to come and hang at the cart after the work. Good Ideas came up last time. Bring your drinks and sandwiches, it doesn't bother me at all. Conservation is more important. Might want to bring chairs.

Also Eli, you may want to add an "Are you attending?" poll so you can keep track of the participants.

Good idea Chris, taken care of. Keep in mind everyone this is a public poll so we can also see who will be going. Sort of killing two birds with one stone.

My goal with the breakfast is to make it a big/regular part of the future work days. Right now there isn't a lot of incentive for people to show up and sign in at the Hunt Camp during the 9AM meet up time. A lot of people figure, well hey I can just come back and and sign in/meet up with everyone later. With the breakfast people will have something to shoot for, and hopefully something they won't want to miss. I haven't heard back from Cris yet but I will post in depth details as soon as I do.

And Terry Savery hasn't gotten back to me yet with a list of work planned for this work day. I did send her a fairly lengthy e-mail yesterday, and will be talking to her on the phone this coming Friday. If I find out anything I will make sure to post it. But keep in mind the official trail work e-mail with the work list may not be out for a while. Consider the one for the May 22nd work day didn't arrive till May 18th.

Also those of you that want to know what is going on with the trails, and the trail re-routes, new trail(s), and the re-opening of old trail(s)/road(s) keep this in mind. An easy way to stay informed is by attending the work days. Terry is more than happy to share what knowledge she can with us while we are out there, and answer your questions. I won't get into too much detail but the "new trail" that is in the works that JC mentioned before the May 22nd work day was addressed.

We were planning a big trip up that weekend anyways,we got a couple camp sites reserved and at least 4 rigs coming.We will be glad to Help!!

CNC 4x4 is planning to turn out for work on our adopted trail Slabpile that weekend.

We should have at least 10 attendees.

We also are waiting for the inventory of work from Terry, to see what we need - guardrail, water-crossing work, etc.

*Not* that we're trying to do our own thing vs. the usual work weekends. We just wanted to have a couple "focus" workdays for our club to ensure higher turnout for getting some heavier work done. I wanted it to be a different weekend than a scheduled work weekend, so that we wouldn't divide the Rangers' attention, but Terry asked that we schedule it for 19-June.

We did one off-season work-day in Feb 2009 for water crossing repair on SlabPile, and then did it again in Mar 2010 of this year. There were a couple other clubs at the Mar 2010 day working on their adopted trails.

The breakfast is a great idea!

I really want to chip in on some of these workdays, but I should have a 1-week-old around the 19th. I'm a no-go.

I really want to chip in on some of these workdays, but I should have a 1-week-old around the 19th. I'm a no-go.

Well hell, congrats man:beer: Cant make it, ECORS. But if anyone wants to work during the week I am readily available.

Hate to be taking away from a great cause, but such is life only so many weekends a year...maybe we can do a joint effort later in the year?

Hate to be taking away from a great cause, but such is life only so many weekends a year...maybe we can do a joint effort later in the year?

The Forest Service has set it up for the 3rd Saturday of every month, so there will always be next month, and the month after that, all the way up until November (December is TBD). So we will definitely have a chance to work on something later in the year.

I'm leaving for a week of vacation on the 19'th. Sorry man...
July looks good though.

Speaking of July.... A group of us all ready will be out there for that weekend/work day (July 17th). So we will definitely have some kind of turn out in July. We are actually renting a cabin because people complained about the heat/humidity of camping at Arrowhead with no A/C etc. So for those that are looking at the July workday on the 17th you have the option of staying in a cabin if you like. Its $37 per person (for both Fri and Sat), and there are 2 spots left. Shoot me a PM if you are interested.

So what happens on a work day? Run the trails picking up trash or what. Just wondering normally what was involved.

So what happens on a work day? Run the trails picking up trash or what. Just wondering normally what was involved.

The jobs tackled on a work day can vary from work day to work day, but you can be guaranteed there will be:

Trash Pick up
Orange Blaze Diamonds to mark/put up
Silt Traps to clean out

While we are at the hunt camp different people volunteer to take on the different tasks at hand. This also includes some heavier work that involves:

Putting up guard rail
Taking down hog wire fence
Draining mud holes
Filling in ruts

So plan on there being trash to pick up, orange blaze diamonds to put up, and silt traps to clean out. And keep an eye out for a list of the heavier work that will be up when Terry gets the work day email out. :beer:

Count the wife and I in. See you guys at the Hunt Camp at 9am.

The wife and I will be there.

Back