Uwharrie Trail Work Day #3, June 19th

Will you be attending Trail Work Day #3?

• Total voters
This is exciting,it seems enthusiasm is really starting to grow,as I said before ,count on my crew!!

again saying i will be leaving greensboro at 630 that saturday morning to get there with a little extra time. i have one free seat if anyone is under construction with their rig.

soo if anyone near greensboro wants a ride just pm me

name is nick

It's only a couple days out from Xenia's next surgery so we will be getting ready for that. Hopefully once she is past this crap we'll be able to get out there more often until then the future is uncertain.

Any body want to ride down with me is welcome, West side of W-S towards Clemmons.

Thanks to those offering rides down, the more that can make it the better. Also sorry to hear you can't make Len, hope all goes well with the wife's surgery.

Small but important update on the Breakfast! Chris (Outpost Owner) has agreed to help with it. The details haven't been hammered out, but at least we know the Outpost Breakfast at 8AM is green lit. Thanks to Chris for getting back to me on this.

I made a list of phone calls over the past few days, and most of the ended up with voice mail's being left. Also have a number of e-mails sent that I haven't gotten replies to. The goal is to get the final word from Terry Savery on the heavy work list, plus get an idea on what is general knowledge and what isn't concerning future trail plans etc. We want to keep everyone informed, but also we don't want information that isn't ready for public release getting out either.

So the goal is by this weekend to have all details hammered out so everyone has a weeks advance notice. :beer:

Any body want to ride down with me is welcome, West side of W-S towards Clemmons.

I'm in yadkinville and would like to follow/meet up with someone who knows where they are going. I've not been in over ten years.

I just marked off work to be able to make it. I've never been before so I'm not real sure where to go. Anyone know the best route from Lincolnton? If anyone wants to ride with me or caravan down PM me.

I just marked off work to be able to make it. I've never been before so I'm not real sure where to go. Anyone know the best route from Lincolnton? If anyone wants to ride with me or caravan down PM me.

If you look at mapquest it will take you the northern route, which is actually longer. During peak traffic time this route may take less time, but considering you will be driving in the early morning on a Saturday this won't be the case.

The shortest mileage wise route, and what I would take is this:

Interstate 85 ->
Highway 16 (Exit 36 on 85) ->
Highway 16 turns into Highway 16/Interstate 277 ->
Highway 74 /Highway 24/27 (Exit 2B from 16/277) - >
Stay left on Highway 24/27 / Albemarle Rd. ->
Merge right and stay on 24/27 ->
River Rd (Left from 24/27) ->
Highway 109 (Left from River Rd) ->
Left into the Eldorado Outpost

It may sound complicated but its not. Essentially after you turn on to Highway 16 you don't make any stop & turns till River Road. You are just constantly merging into other roads.

Google Maps Link

And if you are planning on being up there for Breakfast at 8AM we could convoy from the Hess Gas Station on 24/27 out. Essentially the last hour of the trip. Just let me know. :beer:

im def down to jump in and help out with keeping our trails clean and open!
me and a buddy will be there in an 88 Ford Ranger

im def down to jump in and help out with keeping our trails clean and open!
me and a buddy will be there in an 88 Ford Ranger

The more the better! :beer:

A slight update in news about the work day. As many of you know the Shooting Range has been shutdown after an incident with a stray bullet. Well you may be thinking what does the Shooting Range have to do with the trails? Well since that incident Forest Service personnel from the head office in Asheville have been making trips out here. This is of course for meetings/discussions about what to do about the Shooting Range.

As you know Terry Savery is involved with more than just the OHV Trails, so she has been attending these meetings and has had her plate full dealing with this. Some of you may not know this is the second time there have been issues with stray bullets/ricochets, so this is being taken very seriously. So right now there is a lot of focus on the Shooting Range situation, so no word yet from Terry on work day specifics. More than likely I am getting the feeling that details will be given out last minute.

I also found out this was why things were a little off/delayed for the last work day. They were actually having meetings etc that week/weekend with Asheville personnel. So understanding all of the above, we will work with what we know now until she is able to get the trail work day information out.

I know some people have tools they can bring so here is a good list of basic tools needed/stuff to pack:

Hammers*
Shovels*
Gloves*
Trash bags*
Post Hole Diggers
Tamps
Rock Bar
Wrenches/Sockets/Ratchets
Chainsaws
Permanent Markers*
Aluminum Nails*

Now keep in mind I can't guarantee all of the above will be used. The ones with * next to them are the most likely/just about guaranteed to be used. And keep in mind if you bring tools and we don't use them, there is still a chance the Forest Service can get credit for you bringing them. So don't let the possibility of them not being used deter you from bringing them.

Also I will be posting more details on the 8AM breakfast as they are hammered out. You won't want to miss it! :beer:

TSM88YJ, you can follow or ride down with me. I'll be leaving about 7 from my house, PM me and we can work it out. I'll be leaving URE around 3 or so. You are more than welcome to ride with me.

Let me know a good place to meet up. I'd be coming from Y-ville on 421 so any place you choose will be fine.

If anyone is around yadkin county, I can give a ride. (one seat)

I don't have a WORKING CB yet, will this be an issue?

I know some people have tools they can bring so here is a good list of basic tools needed/stuff to pack:

Chainsaws

You have to have a Forest Service Sawyers Certificate to use a chainsaw on federal land. Might want to leave those at home.

"In order to use a chainsaw or crosscut saw on National Forest lands, in addition to the volunteer agreement, you must be certified as a USFS "Sawyer" by attending a certification class and have attended a CPR/First Aid Class conducted by a nationally recognized organization. (Red Cross, Hospital, Paramedic, etc.) A USFS Volunteer is considered a FS employee while performing trail work when they have met these requirements.

Chainsaw and crosscut saw require different certifications."

You have to have a Forest Service Sawyers Certificate to use a chainsaw on federal land. Might want to leave those at home.

I guess this is a good reminder to people, but all those that have attended any of the past work days should know this. She has mentioned the fallowing at both work days:

Additionally, if your club has one or two people interested in getting chainsaw certified please let me know (only 2 people max per club) by July 1st and give me their contact information. We'll be coordinating training sessions and certification through the summer and fall.

All that aside tools can still be accounted for/credited for even if they aren't used by the person that brings them. Even if your not certified you can still bring a chainsaw and have it counted/credited.

My fault for not making that clearer. :beer:

What do you mean about tools being credited/accounted?

What do you mean about tools being credited/accounted?

The way it used to work during work days if you brought tools (even if they weren't used) the Forest Service would get credit for your bringing them. AFAIK this is the way it still works. Take the March work day. The Forest Service got credit for the tools brought including the Bobcat rental. And when I say credit I am referring to it counts toward their volunteer hours etc.

Besides the fact you never know like in the chainsaw situation they may end up short a chainsaw for what ever reason. Lets say your not certified but brought a chainsaw anyway, they would still be able to put it to use. You never know what kind of situation may come up.

The only downside of bringing a tool that may not be used is the wasted storage space in your truck hauling it, and the time it took you to pack it. And I don't know about most people, but that is no biggie to me at least. In the end its up to you.

I don't have a WORKING CB yet, will this be an issue?

This shouldn't be an issue, not everyone had CBs during the last work day. It will just be like a trail ride without a CB, as long as there is communication between the front and the rear of the group everything should be fine. Also consider the pace of a work day ride is a lot slower, stopping to pick up trash etc. So it will be easier to communicate more often etc.

The way it used to work during work days if you brought tools (even if they weren't used) the Forest Service would get credit for your bringing them. AFAIK this is the way it still works. Take the March work day. The Forest Service got credit for the tools brought including the Bobcat rental. And when I say credit I am referring to it counts toward their volunteer hours etc.

Besides the fact you never know like in the chainsaw situation they may end up short a chainsaw for what ever reason. Lets say your not certified but brought a chainsaw anyway, they would still be able to put it to use. You never know what kind of situation may come up.

The only downside of bringing a tool that may not be used is the wasted storage space in your truck hauling it, and the time it took you to pack it. And I don't know about most people, but that is no biggie to me at least. In the end its up to you.

This shouldn't be an issue, not everyone had CBs during the last work day. It will just be like a trail ride without a CB, as long as there is communication between the front and the rear of the group everything should be fine. Also consider the pace of a work day ride is a lot slower, stopping to pick up trash etc. So it will be easier to communicate more often etc.

Excellent!

When you say gloves do you mean leather gloves or the jersey gloves?

I did an adopt a stream clean up in Winston a few weeks ago and have a few sets of jersey gloves from it, I also have trash bags, thin but huge.

Which trails will we do? One big group or split up groups?

Allrigthy then, I got the work day e-mail from Terry Savery Today. Here are the important parts:

For NC 4x4 there are two options on trails where I have several things flagged but it depends on if the adoptees come up or not or if only a few folks are able to make it from the clubs. The options both include installing guardrail where riders have opened up old roads that aren't on the designated trail system on Dutch John Trail or finishing up the guardrail on Falls Dam Trail.

For doing guardrail work if you have equipment with an auger a 9" auger is best. Also, the ratchet size for the nuts is 1-1/4" and the bolts are 15/16. We have ratchets for you to use but it's good to have extras so if you have those sizes please bring them with you. Additionally, if you bring shovels and rakes some folks can clean out the outflow ditches while others are putting up guardrail or moving the tree slash. We'll also have trash bags for trash clean up.

Thanks a lot everyone for volunteering. Pete & Jeff will get you to sign in at Uwharrie Hunt Camp. I won't be able to make it this work day because of things scheduled with my kids.

So it looks like we will be putting up guard rail again. I think we have learned that the easiest/quickest way to do this is with a skidsteer loader (Bobcat/Newholland/Similar) equipped with an auger attachment. But as you may know it isn't a cheap option by any means. The Bobcat rental for the March work day was $377.13. Which I don't know about some but this isn't a small chunk of change. And beyond that we have to have a way of transporting it up there.

The cheaper/more difficult way to do it is to rent a 2-man auger, and the still fairly costly way/less difficult way is a tow behind auger. Maybe someone has a skidloader they could bring, or maybe someone has contacts in the rental industry that would cut us a deal because its for a National Forest Work Day. We have less than a week to work this out so lets see what we can do!

Lastly as a side note:

For Daniel Trail the plan is to take down some hazard trees, buck them up and stack the slash off the trail. Also, you will be reinstalling some of the guardrail that has fallen down at the ledge on the side toward the trailhead. Pete Powell will be working with you to cut down the hazard trees.

We probably won't be doing work (pending on the turn out from Carolina Jeepsters) on Daniel but the NC4X4 group is responsible for the above actions. This was the trail inventory that Terry rode with me to do on Daniel the last work day. So next time you ride Daniel and see the dead tree that everyone leans into after the Z-Turn (15 point turn) is gone you will know you had something to do with it. :beer:

@TSM: Most people wear leather work gloves to my knowledge, but the jersey gloves are still better than nothing. Hope this answers your question.

Let me post to reiterate that we need to work something out on getting an Auger rented to dig the post holes for the guard rail. If anyone has any ideas/resources just send me a PM.

Also I need to know who all is planning on attending the 8AM Breakfast at the Outpost? I am working with Chris the owner of the Outpost on this and he needs a headcount.

If anyone has any other questions/comments/ideas please feel free to post them or drop me a PM. :beer:

Me and 2 other club members will be attending the breakfast. Also I have a 2 man auger it's a bit old but it works I am going to measure the bit tomorrow I think it's an 8" but not sure. But if we can't locate any thing better it's a lot better than hole diggers. This is my first cleanup day, I just want to make sure I read everything correctly the breakfast will be at the outpost at 8a.m. correct?

Also I think I read somewhere that we will have lunch to is that correct? And how much is the breakfast and lunch or is it complimentary due to volunteering?

Me and 2 other club members will be attending the breakfast. Also I have a 2 man auger it's a bit old but it works I am going to measure the bit tomorrow I think it's an 8" but not sure. But if we can't locate any thing better it's a lot better than hole diggers. This is my first cleanup day, I just want to make sure I read everything correctly the breakfast will be at the outpost at 8a.m. correct?

Anything is better than post hole diggers. And you are correct the breakfast at the Outpost is at 8AM.

Also I think I read somewhere that we will have lunch to is that correct? And how much is the breakfast and lunch or is it complimentary due to volunteering?

Lunch will be at 1PM at Terry's Hotdog Stand located in the Double Parking lot. Currently this workday will be up to the volunteers to pay for their breakfast/lunch. Or you can always bring a lunch, that is another option. We do work on deals and other little incentives, but it varies work day to work day. A perfect example is the free hotdogs that Terry and NC4X4 worked out last work day.

This reminds me, people that bought the $3.49 "Sticker on Stickers" Volunteer Bumper Sticker don't forget about your free hotdog. Just show me the sticker or point it out on your rig at lunch! And for those not aware if you are one of the first 10 to buy one of those stickers you get one free hotdog at a workday lunch. 5 stickers have been purchased, leaving 5 more free hotdogs to give away! :beer:

Also don't forget, "Best hot dogs in the parking lot!" LOL

Back