Uwharrie Trail Work Day #3, June 19th

Will you be attending Trail Work Day #3?

• Total voters
:bounce2:Those are called URE Dust Bunnies! Again, had a blast and we appreciate everybody stopping by. Yes it was HOT, and it takes the strength out of ya. Any body get a head count? Seemed like a good crowd, hope we made a few new friends! Thanks to Cris at the Outpost, Eli for giving us a cause and thanks to all the vollenteers that gave us a reason why! Happy fathers day!

A big thanks goes out to everyone that showed up for the work day! Also a big thanks to Chris for the 1/2 off breakfast and Terry for the .50 off hotdogs!

I really didn't do much, so again thanks to everyone for putting in the hard work. Everyone was self motivated and it took very little to get the ball rolling. We had a great turn out to boot.

The only problem ended up being the Forest Service Augers are old and beaten to death. So in the end we got up 4 pieces of guard rail, which was a huge feat with the FS Augers. I am going to send an email to Terry Savery about this. Because if we had working Auger(s) we could have gotten up more guard rail. So we all agreed at the end of the work day, a working Auger is an ESSENTIAL piece of equipment.

I am going to look deeper into Auger alternatives to the 2-man/1-man manual auger set ups. Even when the Auger was working it was obvious it was a PITA to get the holes drilled. Rocks that the Bobcat w/ Auger attachment had no issues with back in March stopped the manual Auger in its tracks. It took a nice sized rock to really cause issues for the Bobcat/Auger.

Chris (Outpost) mentioned that they have a Bobcat with an Auger over at the farm (Uwharrie Stables). So this may be a viable option. Because so far as I am sure most will agree it seems the Bobcat w/Auger is by far the most efficient way to put up guard rail. Most expensive way also, but its well worth it.

Also if anyone has comments on how to improve the work days, or if you had any issues please post up or send me a PM. I learned a good bit from this work day, and with others feedback we can make the next work day even better.:beer:

But I am wore out, and going to go pass out on the couch. I will post up pictures later when I wake up. :lol:

It was HOT, but we had a good time in spite of it. We both enjoyed our day out with you folks, and we look forward to doing it again! :)

Had a great time, even if it was HOT , enjoyed meeting more great people from the web site. I wish the augers would have been as good as everybody's effort was today, we would have gotten a more done. There's always next time.:beer::beer::beer:
Thanks again for letting me ride along and for taking me back to my car. So I take it that the other auger didn't work either?

TSM,those are called URE Dust Bunnies! LOL Had a great day and met a few new faces, it was HOT! Cris at the Outpost did us right on the breakfast,thanks Cris. Hats off to Eli for pulling us together and the stickers. High five to all the vollenteers that made this happen. Glad to be included in our small way, it means a lot to be part of a good cause.

FSJ80, Belinda thinks that's funny! I take it as a compliment. Till next time, and Happy Fathers Day to all.

It was great meeting everyone, we had a good time. Thanks to Eli for getting this organized, and to Your Hot Dog Guy for the great dogs and much needed ice cream!!

Eli, first of all, you did a great job organizing the day's events, thanks for what you are doing. I have a suggestion for future workdays... There should be short, simple introductions after we break into our work groups. Maybe just screen name, name, and what rig you drive. I think that would help everyone communicate more efficiently, and personally, I really like being able to put a name and vehicle to a screen name.

granny and oldblue, it was nice wheeling with you guys after the work.

Now on to the good part, the pictures!

Getting started, loading up guardrail and posts
P6190003.jpg

P6190004.jpg

P6190005.jpg

videos of gus203 and I sneaking quietly through the forest with the rails :rolleyes:

guardrail install
P6190009.jpg

P6190010.jpg

P6190011.jpg

P6190012.jpg

P6190018.jpg

P6190024.jpg

if the auger worked this way every time, all the time I think we would have gotten a ton more work done...

the infamous Your Hot Dog Guy and Hot Dog Gal caught on film
P6190015.jpg

P6190016.jpg

the group
P6190025_landscape.jpg

P6190027_Landscape.jpg

P6190029.jpg

Out of all those pictures, there's not a single one of me actually working. :lol: Maybe next time we'll have a half decent auger and get a lot more done.

If anyone reading this hasn't yet had a hot dog from Terry then you're missing out! That was one of the best hot dogs that I've ever had.

-Jesse

Out of all those pictures, there's not a single one of me actually working. :lol: Maybe next time we'll have a half decent auger and get a lot more done.
If anyone reading this hasn't yet had a hot dog from Terry then you're missing out! That was one of the best hot dogs that I've ever had.
-Jesse
I'll not only wave at you, I'll wheel with you anytime.:beer:

@ MTNYJ : You know the "Hello my name is" stickers they have at like schools and events? I briefly thought those would be a good idea, very briefly. :lol: But we do need a better way of knowing who is who. Maybe some work day t-shirts customized to each person with their screen name plus real name, and their rig. Just an idea....

Let me elaborate on something here for people looking at the pictures. I noticed some comments in a another thread that we a little bit troubling.

For this work day we had the following:

1 Auger
2 Post Hole Diggers
1 Rock Bar
4 Shovels
1 Rake

Now with the above tools it is broken down into the following jobs:

-1 Person Operates the Auger
-2 People Alternate digging out after the Auger with the Post Hole Diggers
-1 Person goes in when rocks are hit and tries to break them up with the rock bar.
- 1 to 2 People go back with shovels and fill in the hole after the post is put in
- And while all this is going on anywhere from 1-2 people holding up the guard railing/positioning it.

This means at any given time the majority of the people there are standing waiting for their turn in the process. And this works out perfectly giving each person a turn to rest. And between tasks lets say the auger person will put it down, and help hold up the railing or do something else.

Beyond this there are people draging guardrail into position, etc. So without another Auger (which we were going to have 2 augers, but that fell through) there wasn't a more efficient way to do it really. I would say at most 1 or 2 people at anytime didn't have something to do. And even then with the heat and humidity they probably didn't mind a little break.

So hopefully no one looks at the pictures and just sees a bunch of people standing around. Everyone that showed up worked hard and did more than their part.

The only part I saw in the work day that could have been improved was communication. Which maybe 2 way radios or something similar would help with. Because it seemed CB's didn't help too much that day.

I agree with a name tag or something like that . We don't see who is who long enough for my limited brain cells to remember people's names, maybe a who are you with a good pic Stickey?
Eli, you are the only one that I can pick out, you are hard to miss( big guy ).I'll start it.
Thanks for your on the ball and behind the scene communication setting these work days up. Volunteering is a great way to keep the trails open and get the people on this web-site involved personally with each other. Making stronger friendships happen.
I'd wheel with you guys any time. We need to have a Group ride soon as we can all agree on a weekend or any time maybe even during the week if that's when you all have the time.:beer::beer::beer:

Again thanks to everyone for the kind words about my part. I really didn't feel I did a lot this past work day, so it means a lot.

That aside I like the idea of us scheduling a trail ride between the work days as sort of a way for us to kick back a little and get to know each other. Hopefully this will be apart of the July work weekend. That is right work weekend. Friday will be laid back trail rides with a work planning session, and the main part of Saturday will be the work day. With late afternoon trail rides afterward, followed by dinner at Zeno's Italian Saturday night. I am really pushing for a weekend deal here, especially with the Cabin rental. You might as well enjoy the A/C luxury of the Cabin and make a weekend out of it. :beer:

Eli I would hope this crowd would understand the 'hurry up and wait' type of work that construction or similar.... really is.
Same goes for road construction.... sometimes people standing around ARE actually working. You just happen to drive by at the wrong time thinkin they got nothin to do.
What you wrote is actually pretty good organization. You can't run 3 men into the ground and expect them to work all day.
:beer:

How did this thread end up back up on top? I don't see any new posts so I guess someone voted in the poll. Keep in mind this thread is for last years June workday. The 17th-19th thread for the June work weekend is this years thread. Easy way to know is this thread was for our 3rd workday, and next weekends workday is our 14th workday.

Back