Wanted : People who can read good and do other things good too.

Hey @Atla any update on this?

Well - good news.

I've had three publishing offers so far.

The last one was from Severed Press a few weeks ago, which was really sweet and tempting. They're a small press that specializes in horror, adventure, lost world, zombies, stuff like that. So my book would have fit in well with them... And they have some GREAT cover art work.

Ultimately, after agonizing over a decision, I passed on them for now. (And I really hope I didn't step on my peepee doing so.)

But BAEN is the publishing house I've always wanted and they are a 9-12 month wait period to hear back from. So I decided to hold off on accepting any offers until BAEN either accepts (slim chance as that is due to sheer quantity of submissions they receive) or rejects me around Jan-March 2020 time frame. I also submitted at some other mega-publishing houses, and those take time to get around to my submission as well.

In the meantime, I'm deep in the sequel and expect to be done by the end of the year. Once it's finished, I'm gonna do the same thing, come online and ask for strangers input to honestly tell me what sucks and needs to be better. You guys were awesome last time.

And if all the big publishers reject me, then I'll go crawling back to Severed Press with both WoP and sequel in hand and hope they'll offer me another contract.

But it's pretty cool getting offers. Apparently I managed to create something worth reading that is entertaining and potentially profitable. :)

Well - good news.

I've had three publishing offers so far.

The last one was from Severed Press a few weeks ago, which was really sweet and tempting. They're a small press that specializes in horror, adventure, lost world, zombies, stuff like that. So my book would have fit in well with them... And they have some GREAT cover art work.

Ultimately, after agonizing over a decision, I passed on them for now. (And I really hope I didn't step on my peepee doing so.)

But BAEN is the publishing house I've always wanted and they are a 9-12 month wait period to hear back from. So I decided to hold off on accepting any offers until BAEN either accepts (slim chance as that is due to sheer quantity of submissions they receive) or rejects me around Jan-March 2020 time frame. I also submitted at some other mega-publishing houses, and those take time to get around to my submission as well.

In the meantime, I'm deep in the sequel and expect to be done by the end of the year. Once it's finished, I'm gonna do the same thing, come online and ask for strangers input to honestly tell me what sucks and needs to be better. You guys were awesome last time.

And if all the big publishers reject me, then I'll go crawling back to Severed Press with both WoP and sequel in hand and hope they'll offer me another contract.

But it's pretty cool getting offers. Apparently I managed to create something worth reading that is entertaining and potentially profitable. :)
Its great that youre getting some offers! Hope it works out as I think you have a fantastic book. Cant wait for the sequel!

hey @Atla , any updates? The suspense is killing me.

Wow - has it been May since I finished it?

Ugh, I was really hoping to have the sequel finished by the end of last year. But we bought a house which consumed my Nov/Dec and selling my old house now which has taken all of Jan so far to get it ready, and I had brain damage(shooting related) that caused a lot of personal issues that really slowed down my writing last year. Like lots of depression, mood swings, etc.

Post Concussive Syndrome is a bitch. I pity football players.

Still, I managed to write 80,000+ words on the sequel which is pretty awesome. The rough draft has been completed, minus the GBB(Great Big Battle) which is the culmination of the set up and the most exhausting thing I have to write. That's just a list of notes right now. But the first half is polished almost to completion. I have a weird way of writing. I hammer out a rough draft, as fast and hard as possible, then go back to the beginning and start sculpting it until I get stuck, then go back to the beginning again and work my way through it, and repeat. So the beginning is always the most polished and the end is the least.

But at the heart of it, it's still an adventure western. And there's plenty of gun fighting to keep it interesting. :)

As for BAEN - still waiting. It sucks. I've been tempted dozens of times to give it up, but pure stubbornness to get the yay or nay has kept me going. Should be any day now.... between now and March lol. If they are on time.

Wow - has it been May since I finished it?

Ugh, I was really hoping to have the sequel finished by the end of last year. But we bought a house which consumed my Nov/Dec and selling my old house now which has taken all of Jan so far to get it ready, and I had brain damage(shooting related) that caused a lot of personal issues that really slowed down my writing last year. Like lots of depression, mood swings, etc.

Post Concussive Syndrome is a bitch. I pity football players.

Still, I managed to write 80,000+ words on the sequel which is pretty awesome. The rough draft has been completed, minus the GBB(Great Big Battle) which is the culmination of the set up and the most exhausting thing I have to write. That's just a list of notes right now. But the first half is polished almost to completion. I have a weird way of writing. I hammer out a rough draft, as fast and hard as possible, then go back to the beginning and start sculpting it until I get stuck, then go back to the beginning again and work my way through it, and repeat. So the beginning is always the most polished and the end is the least.

But at the heart of it, it's still an adventure western. And there's plenty of gun fighting to keep it interesting. :)

As for BAEN - still waiting. It sucks. I've been tempted dozens of times to give it up, but pure stubbornness to get the yay or nay has kept me going. Should be any day now.... between now and March lol. If they are on time.

Nice! Let me know if you need more proofreading :D Glad youre doing better.

Nice! Let me know if you need more proofreading :D Glad youre doing better.

Lol, I'll make sure you get an early finished copy of the sequel. :)

Wait, what?

Yeah, I need to write up a blog post about it.

Basically, I shot a Ruger American in .308 in an enclosed space with a muzzle brake. Every time I pulled the trigger the blast would deflect on the walls and blow back on my head and chest. You could feel it thumping ya pretty good. I did this 80-100 times over the course of 4 or 5 shooting sessions in preparation for a hunting trip out west. After the second or third trip, when I pulled the trigger my vision would go blurry and I'd get nauseous. I'd wait for it to stop then pull the trigger again.

I kept going because my accuracy turned to shit and I couldn't figure out why, so I'd strip apart the gun, change the scope, focus on the basics, etc, and try again. Only to see my groups go from 1 inch to about 10 inch groups at 100 yards.

My saving grace was that I'd been lusting after a Ruger Gunsite Scout for years, and a buddy found a NIB one for $600. So I bought that and sold off the American and the Muzzlebrake and my accuracy improved again and I was successful on my hunting trip. It was months later that we figured out what'd caused my sudden mood swings, severe bouts of depression and suicidal tendencies, and personality changes. This happened last June/July and I've just now gotten to the point of calling myself recovered. (if medicated.)

Geez, I really need to type it all out in detail. It's pretty fascinating, if hellish to have gone through.

Life is stranger than fiction, if we could only manage to write down the shit we go thru. Sellable? Maybe not, but that's what creative license is for... ;-)

An update - Baen said no.

They said that while mine was entertaining, they didn't think it was a good fit for them and that they accept less than 1% of submissions so don't let it get me down.

So that was nice, but still kind of sucks. Time to go crawling back to Severed. Hopefully I'll hear something positive in a couple of weeks from them.

Good news though...

The sequel is finished.

Who wants it?

I'm in for the sequel! I haven't had a chance to finish the first one, but damn it's been good so far.

Just catching up on this thread, glad you're recovering from the TBI thing...making me wonder if I should go back to the VA about mine (you know, after this China virus thing is over with). They did MRIs/CAT scans on me 10 or 12 years ago, compared them to some from a few years prior and said I had frontal lobe atrophy due to TBI. But I've been having lots of shit going on lately that sounds a lot like what you're describing you were going through mentally/emotionally. God damned hadjis with their boom tubes damn near got me a couple times, but sure rattled my brain housing group too.

Sucks about the publisher saying no, but I know you'll get it out there. Good luck!

Just catching up on this thread, glad you're recovering from the TBI thing...making me wonder if I should go back to the VA about mine (you know, after this China virus thing is over with). They did MRIs/CAT scans on me 10 or 12 years ago, compared them to some from a few years prior and said I had frontal lobe atrophy due to TBI. But I've been having lots of shit going on lately that sounds a lot like what you're describing you were going through mentally/emotionally. God damned hadjis with their boom tubes damn near got me a couple times, but sure rattled my brain housing group too.

Ouch, yeah I'd check back with the VA. It's amazing how medication can help you out these days, and it's pretty cheap for the most part also. It's terrible, and any relief is welcomed. I know my wife was pretty thrilled with how I turned out. :) We had some serious marriage problems there for a while because of my mental state.

I have both you and Jovibuilt's email's on my list, so I went ahead and sent the sequel to ya's!

Ouch, yeah I'd check back with the VA. It's amazing how medication can help you out these days, and it's pretty cheap for the most part also. It's terrible, and any relief is welcomed. I know my wife was pretty thrilled with how I turned out. :) We had some serious marriage problems there for a while because of my mental state.

I have both you and Jovibuilt's email's on my list, so I went ahead and sent the sequel to ya's!
Awesome, thanks! and yeah, home troubles are a-plenty right now....so maybe I seriously should. Maybe they do virtual visits? dunno. I could try.

An update - Baen said no.

They said that while mine was entertaining, they didn't think it was a good fit for them and that they accept less than 1% of submissions so don't let it get me down.

So that was nice, but still kind of sucks. Time to go crawling back to Severed. Hopefully I'll hear something positive in a couple of weeks from them.

Good news though...

The sequel is finished.

Who wants it?

Shoot it my way please!

Back