weldable paint, what are yall using

marty79

I know "steel it" is the main one...very pricey
customer is willing to buy it but was wondering if there's another type/brand for better price on more quantity that will weld through just as good. Need this to coat his axle and links/brackets and such but wants enough to have for bumpers and whatnot down the road. Any other brands you guys use or is Steel IT the one. thanks

if Steel It is the one, anyone know the place that will give better "quantity" pricing? 24 pack is what he's thinking for future projects as well. (but that's almost $700)lol

I'll give you $20 bucks to use extra heavy tubing and paint it ASU themed just to piss off Toni @braxton357

How much can I pay you not to do whatever you're going to do to it?
How about mind your business and ill do mine. If I need or want your advice of how to be an ass hole I'll let you know. Have a nice day.

How about mind your business and ill do mine. If I need or want your advice of how to be an ass hole I'll let you know. Have a nice day.
Sounds like you've already taken the full course :p

:popcorn:

Triggered? You have created your own demon.

i usually dont wade into these threads......

but why do you need weldable paint? usually its reserved for boat yards where they primer large portions during assembly.

It also requires sanding to bare metal before being applied. its not like you can just throw a coat of it on anything then go welding it all together without any prep.

in most of our application the only use i can see is lets say you cut some pieces in the shop, sanded, prepped and primered in weldable primer but needed to do final assembly outside in the elements.

Its not really used for time saving purposes.

Last edited:
It also requires sanding to bare metal before being applied. its not like you can just throw a coat of it on anything then go welding it all together without any prep.
i know how and for what it's used for. axle has been sand blasted completely and need to coat it before it starts rusting but be able to weld to it without having to sand as much or at all...oh and I can appreciate a legitimate response about asked subject

I’m a big fan of “poor mans powercoat” - hit it with a little tractor paint while it’s still warm from welding and boom, poor mans powdercoat.

Why not use a Teflon of lanolin spray instead? Some PB?

sorry homie won't be any "shinanigans" on this thread...I've learned to deal with the deuchs of this community and focus on what I'm doing

I know "steel it" is the main one...very pricey
customer is willing to buy it but was wondering if there's another type/brand for better price on more quantity that will weld through just as good. Need this to coat his axle and links/brackets and such but wants enough to have for bumpers and whatnot down the road. Any other brands you guys use or is Steel IT the one. thanks

It’s not paint, but look up Gibbs Oil. Pretty sure it’ll do what you’re looking for. Still pricey stuff though.

You can weld over anything if you get it hot enough.

You can weld and paint over Gibb's, but it doesn't last long.

Just looking for clarification... does the oil coat not last long or the paint on top of the oil? I’ve had all my raw metal surfaces coated in Gibbs for over 6 months now and it’s holding strong.

Back