What have you done to your rig today?

Well, I'm am idiot. If I had set the head bolts out in order like the other head, I would have noticed one missing, i.e. still in the head. Got it off along with the timing gears.
I got a new set of timing gears from summit racing. Mopar double roller set. The cam gear is nice. The crank gear looks used though. They were in a sealed Mopar box though. Should I still use it or send it back? The teeth look ok, but the surface that slides on the crank looks a little rough.
c10dd44dc2e808bd6d32ad6f73365bd9.jpg
0aba1e6499e064fa4443a875ea6f756d.jpg

Nothing much due to time. Stuck on the new rotor and the double roller timing set. Haven't tightened the cam bolt yet. I found this on the cam near the front. I can feel it with my nail. Should I worry about it, it's Not really deep.? (it's the lobe closest to the bolt, not the wear line, but the semi-circular spot in the wear line.)
Also, where's a good place to have the intake, timing cover and heads cleaned? Can't afford a whole lot, so I'll do it myself if I have to, but just curious.
bc7d00707bdbb086476e05ef03a74d9f.jpg
1638c8d41e91f960c532e13aa0330f8e.jpg

It looks like it may have worn through the case hardening on that lobe. You could go ahead and put a new cam in it now and not have to worry about it again, or ride with it and hope it doesn't wipe that lobe out. If it does you'll just have to pull everything back apart....again.

It looks like it may have worn through the case hardening on that lobe. You could go ahead and put a new cam in it now and not have to worry about it again, or ride with it and hope it doesn't wipe that lobe out. If it does you'll just have to pull everything back apart....again.
Yeah, that's what I was figuring [emoji30], just needed to hear someone else say it, lol.

Just had another thought; don't I need to change the distributor, or at least the gear, to match the new cam, along with new lifters?

You don't have to (the distributor gear), but you can, I suppose. It wouldn't hurt. Definitely new lifters if it's flat tappet.

You don't have to (the distributor gear), but you can, I suppose. It wouldn't hurt. Definitely new lifters if it's flat tappet.
Ok, thank you. I had read a few years ago when I had an 06 Wrangler that I the 4.0s it was recommended to replace it if you replaced the cam since they wear together. Wasn't sure if it applied to other vehicles. Looking at the price (~ $67 at Rock Auto) I may skip it. Cam and lifters are already an unexpected cost.

Just had another thought; don't I need to change the distributor, or at least the gear, to match the new cam, along with new lifters?

Highly recommended to change the dizzy gear. Plenty of engines have wiped out the top end because the dizzy gear didn't match materials.

Same way everyone uses 'motor' when rebuilding an engine. Everyone has their own pet peeves.
The trick is, never tell anyone what it is.

M m m m m motor. Motor swapping in a 5.3 motor in my buddies jeep that has a 4.0 motor. Because the 5.3 motor is so much better than the 4.0 motor.

I think Rotella T may be one of the very few that says "engine oil" on their packaging. Everything else says "motor oil"....explain that!

Ford Enginesports? o_O

No wait..... Ford MOTORsports.

Something relateable :flipoff2:

I think Rotella T may be one of the very few that says "engine oil" on their packaging. Everything else says "motor oil"....explain that!

And Ford Motor Company, General Motors and 'internal combustion engine' is actually in the definition of 'motor', so on and so forth. Like I said...not one of my pet peeves, but it does work some folks up.

Because any thing that runs rotella is a real engine[emoji6]

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

And anything that runs Rotella is going to have a slight tick, for some odd reason. Amsoil FTMFW!

One of the biggest things that bugs me is when people say "irregardless". It's NOT a word!

My biggest pet peeve is when people use "boobies" in place of "tires". I'd never tell a soul.

Highly recommended to change the dizzy gear. Plenty of engines have wiped out the top end because the dizzy gear didn't match materials.
Well dang. It is better to be safe than sorry. I'm starting to wish I had just sold it as it was (running, but putting oil in the coolant) and figured something else out, lol.

Smelled fuel.. used 16 gallons of fuel in 70 miles... More like used 6 gallons and left 10 on the road. Replaced with soft line when I got home. Temp fix was to split a piece of hose and clamp it on the burst bubbled section. SMH.. glad my xj didn't turn into a phoenix. It's the return line by the power steering pump next to the exhaust. Genius design placing plastic line 4" from a exhaust manifold.. no it didn't have any exhaust leaks..
IMG_20170913_111410156s.jpg
IMG_20170913_111002546s.jpg

Back