What is the creepiest thing that has ever happened to you?

BigClay

Knower of useless ZJ things
A friend sent me a link to some reddit stories of creepy things people have encountered. Like hearing someone running down their hall at night, when they are the only one home; dreaming about talking to grandma, and getting a call in the morning that she passed away. So anyone on here got any creepy stories? It also helps that Halloween is in a couple weeks too haha.

When I was a kid we played with a ouija board a few times....

Same ole fun as everyone and asking questions. Typical.
Last time I ever played it we were in my bedroom with all the lights off and nothing but a couple flashlights pointing up and one pointing at us on the dresser. It was Christmas time and the flashlights were new as they were presents. Batteries too.

We asked ouija if there was a presence/spirit/being/whatever there and if so to turn out the flash lights. We waited and nothing. Waited more and nothing. We continued playing and about 2 questions later it seemed dark. Looked up at the flashlight pointing at us on my dresser and it had gone dead and was no longer on!

We screamed and jumped up and turned on all the lights. Freaked us out. We grabbed the flash light and turned it off and back on and it worked perfectly. We thought maybe it was a dead battery but tested the batteries and they all tested full charge. Batteries and flashlight worked flawlessly for a while after that.

From that day on I never played with the ouija board again.

The house I grew up in was built in 1859 by my great great great grandfather. He was a Confederate calvary officer, wounded in battle, died of complications, and buried about a quarter mile from the house. My bedroom was the formal parlor of the original house (the room they used for displaying the dead before burial, among other things). When my brother and I were young, every night at dusk we'd hear footsteps come up the front steps and a few minutes later go back down, but no one was ever there.

I've heard multiple stories of people seeing a mounted soldier crossing the road just below the house.

My cousin was always freaked out about the room being the funeral parlor. I remember picking on her because she was afraid to sleep in there and that night I had a dream where there were eyes all around the room watching me.

let me see... let's start at a very young age with a "gentleman" that would visit the family a few times a year. Momma saw him one time and she said he was def. male,short in stature. He would come in and do dumb crap. Shake the bed in the middle of the night,close/open doors,knock things down. He was with us in cali when I was very young...poped up at our first house here in wayne county,followed mom and myself when she left my daddy and took me with her when i was 12, stayed here with me after she moved away and the last time he visited me was in the late 80s when i rented a room from a friend's parents. I reckon I might have seen him too when I was young. Until my teenage years,I had to sleep completely under the covers with my head under the pillow with just enough space to breath and look out. He was really active a couple of weeks after my folks split up.He stayed with daddy and the door opening and closing was constant in that house for about 2 weeks. I expected for it to pick back up after my babies were born and esp. when they became teenagers but no visits in a very long time. I was funny to be stretched out in the floor watching late night tv and hear my mom tell it to stop shaking the bed.
Probably 10 or so years ago,we were having our year beginning "camp of instruction" up just north of winston on a member's farm. There is an old share cropper's 2 room house that sits on the road into the fields. We sleep in tents on the cold ground but the brigade field and staff stay in the house. Late on saturday afternoon, we sometimes get together and do a weastern style shoot out with "Black Bart" and his band of rufians. The crowd was outside talking,friend was in the doorway,I was in the middle of the big room by myself. Nobody else inside.Never had electricity or any kind of power source. While standing there listening , someone grabbed my left wrist. I felt every icy finger as they passed through my wrist from top to bottom,a thumb pressed under where you would feel for a pulse. I didn't freak.I didn't scream like a bitch. I calmly told Billy that someone had just grabbed my arm. I spent the night in there with the brigade minions but didn't see anything.
Daddy lived in the same house the company he worked for used as an office/equipment yard. He stayed rent free but he took care of things after hours too. win win for all involved. An old man had died at the back of the property way before Thompson Pump had bought it. He is seen from time to time walking at the back of the lot...10 foot tall fence topped with barbed wire surrounds the site. One night while daddy was sittin at his pc , the attic door dropped down on it's own and went back up. Daddy had more stories about that.

Stayed at a cabin with a small graveyard attached. Heard a scream of "mom" in the middle of the night, woke up my wife and I. We ran down the hall to the kids room and ours were both sound asleep.
I don't stay in that cabin anymore.

oh and i haven't seen anything sleeping on some of the battlefields when we do living histories and such but reenactors have and do experience things. We sit around sometimes talking about the "visits".

^^^^^^ will you for once get with the program and join in a thread with meaningful input...

you doin allright in Clinton?

A bit different than these above but this happened to a friend /co-worker of mine recently.

He graduated from High School in Jacksonville, FL in 92 or 92. He went to Chicago on business a business trip about a month ago. As he was crossing the street he sees this girl he had dated in high school and hadn't seen since graduation meeting him crossing the opposite direction. He said he was super excited and had to talk to her. As they approached he realized that it in fact wasn't her and said he felt stupid and wondered where he thought of this girl from 25 years ago. He finished crossing the street, walks into the restaurant where he is meeting the client. The hostess sits him down at a table alone as his client hadnt arrived yet. He looked around and sitting immediately next to him was the girl he THOUGHT he had seen outside 5 minutes before.

They chatted, it was definitely her. Certainly not her outside different clothes. And she was finishing her meal so it wasnt like he saw her out of the corner of his eye and associated it.

My fear of creepy paranormal activity ended when I moved to Charleston SC in 01 and I began seeking it during those years and forever thereafter. There were so many encounters that happened I couldn't list them all if I tried. Here's a few of the headliners.
Age 15, my family and I were living in a small house in Encampment village on James Island. Encampment village got its name from being the site of a civil war camp. The house was not around then but as I've learned, it's not always the structure that houses spirits, it's the earth. One night I lay in bed dead asleep and was awaken by sounds coming from inside the room that made me think of growling sounds somewhat. I was startled enough that I couldn't go back to sleep for several minutes. I then felt what I clearly remember felt like my cat stretching and yawning at the foot of my bed, across my shins and assured that's what it was, I fold the blanket down preparing to sit up and pet it. In the dim lit room looking towards my feet, what I saw has stayed with me for 15 years. I saw two very large snakes, white in color with glowing red eyes slithering up my body in a pattern resembling the Red Cross symbol. When their heads go to about my waste line, they stopped simultaneously and stared. For a period of about 4 seconds I inhaled a breath of air to let out a scream to be heard for miles. At second 4, my attention was stolen by an apparition of humanoid shape floating beside me to my right. Having vivid facial features on it, I could make out a male figure of normal height with what I believe to be a button up coat and possibly a cap. Then the scream let's out. Then the profanity. My parents are alerted and 10 minutes later the police arrive to see wtf happened. Not that I needed any more proof to be convinced that what I experienced was 100%real, but my room stunk of snake and sulfer for several days after that. Welcome to Charleston.

In another neighborhood we lived in i had another kickass visual that really stood out. More than just a common quick glimpse of spirits in the moonlight. This was in the Willow walk neighborhood on James Island. Like many places on the island their are Cival war earth works and trenches still remaining. I heard from many people living on this one particular small lake that sighting of something large and shadowy being seen very early in the am. History claims that after a battle during the war, the bodies of war casualties were thrown in mass graves. once bodies decay and shrink, becomes a pond. It was a weekend and I had nothing to do. Me and a friend by that time addicted to chasing weird paranormal shit camped on its bank during a full moon so we could inversigate the water edge and surrounding undeveloped woods. At exactly 3am, known as the witching hour, we see it. What is stone cold clear in our eyes was the small formation of entities emerging from the lakes surface and then walking (floating) across the lake for several seconds under the moonlight towards us. A very noticeable temperature drop of atleast 20 degrees alerted us that this was by no means just an illusion.
Ever since I've chased it. I can tell you with all certainty that if you look for it and want it badly enough, you will find it.

We had "happenings" in our house in England. Sounds of doors and windows slamming, sounds of lamps falling and crashing. The best part was at the foot of my parents bed, every now and then there was a stench of garbage. Rotting nasty garbage. You take a step in any direction and it disappeared. Step back into the spot and there it was.

My wife worked in an antiques store that was in an old house built circa 1880. There were known sightings, sounds and general activity. Reports of massive sounds upstairs like a fridge being moved and dropped. But on inspection, nothing. All kinds of footsteps and voices as well. The best one was that while my wife was working she called me all freaked out. She was alone and at this point standing outside saying that she was closing the shop and not going back in until the owner came back.

She was standing at the register. To her left was a door that lead from the store into the personal residence in the house. This door was often left cracked open. She said the door swung open and closed a few times and freaked her out. Me knowing that it was a drafty old house, I laughed and told her I'd come by after work.

When I got there she demonstrated to me just how the door swung. As hard and fast as I could swing the 7' solid wood door back and forth 4-5 times is how she said it acted. If in fact it did, I'd have GTFO too!

Only a couple that stand out. One morning around 5:30am, I heard a man scream my name. I woke up, looked around the house and found nothing. Went back to sleep thinking it was a dream. Got a call from my dad around 10am, letting me know that my uncle, who I was very close to, died around 5:30am.

Essentially the same story a couple of years later but with a woman's voice. My dad called me later that day and told me that my Nana died around the time I heard the voice.

I saw and heard someone talking in another uncle's basement. I went to investigate and found nothing. Found out that their house used to be part of the Underground Railroad and they said that what I saw/heard was a regular occurrence.

Final thing is, when we first moved into our current house, my wife and I saw my oldest daughter, who was 3 at the time, waving at her ceiling. When asked what she was doing, she said waving to Pop (my FIL who passed away a couple months prior), and Apollo, our dog that passed away shortly after Pop did. She said that they were floating in the corner and asked why we couldn't see them.

Last edited:
My fear of creepy paranormal activity ended when I moved to Charleston SC in 01 and I began seeking it during those years and forever thereafter. There were so many encounters that happened I couldn't list them all if I tried. Here's a few of the headliners.
Age 15, my family and I were living in a small house in Encampment village on James Island. Encampment village got its name from being the site of a civil war camp. The house was not around then but as I've learned, it's not always the structure that houses spirits, it's the earth. One night I lay in bed dead asleep and was awaken by sounds coming from inside the room that made me think of growling sounds somewhat. I was startled enough that I couldn't go back to sleep for several minutes. I then felt what I clearly remember felt like my cat stretching and yawning at the foot of my bed, across my shins and assured that's what it was, I fold the blanket down preparing to sit up and pet it. In the dim lit room looking towards my feet, what I saw has stayed with me for 15 years. I saw two very large snakes, white in color with glowing red eyes slithering up my body in a pattern resembling the Red Cross symbol. When their heads go to about my waste line, they stopped simultaneously and stared. For a period of about 4 seconds I inhaled a breath of air to let out a scream to be heard for miles. At second 4, my attention was stolen by an apparition of humanoid shape floating beside me to my right. Having vivid facial features on it, I could make out a male figure of normal height with what I believe to be a button up coat and possibly a cap. Then the scream let's out. Then the profanity. My parents are alerted and 10 minutes later the police arrive to see wtf happened. Not that I needed any more proof to be convinced that what I experienced was 100%real, but my room stunk of snake and sulfer for several days after that. Welcome to Charleston.

In another neighborhood we lived in i had another kickass visual that really stood out. More than just a common quick glimpse of spirits in the moonlight. This was in the Willow walk neighborhood on James Island. Like many places on the island their are Cival war earth works and trenches still remaining. I heard from many people living on this one particular small lake that sighting of something large and shadowy being seen very early in the am. History claims that after a battle during the war, the bodies of war casualties were thrown in mass graves. once bodies decay and shrink, becomes a pond. It was a weekend and I had nothing to do. Me and a friend by that time addicted to chasing weird paranormal shit camped on its bank during a full moon so we could inversigate the water edge and surrounding undeveloped woods. At exactly 3am, known as the witching hour, we see it. What is stone cold clear in our eyes was the small formation of entities emerging from the lakes surface and then walking (floating) across the lake for several seconds under the moonlight towards us. A very noticeable temperature drop of atleast 20 degrees alerted us that this was by no means just an illusion.
Ever since I've chased it. I can tell you with all certainty that if you look for it and want it badly enough, you will find it.

I ate a ten strip of LSD one time and had something kinda like that....but it was fish swimming in my room and a dog looking at me!......not creepy, kinda expected with that much acid!!:flipoff2:

I had an instructor at UNCC that was odd in many ways. It was some history class that she taught. She claimed to be an ordained minister and one night before she started her lecture she told us what she saw over the weekend. Her and a van full of other ministers went to a conference. They were on interstate and there was a bad wreck. As they drove past the crash scene slowly, she said it was obvious that multiple people had died as several bodies already had white sheets over them, and her group got very quiet. Several minutes later, one of the other ministers finally broke the silence and said "did you see them?" Her and all her companions had scene the ghosts of the dead, just standing around the crash scene, as if they were waiting on someone. Perhaps another victim had not died yet but was going to.

Some months after my wife's father passed suddenly, we were staying with her mom. There was a night light in the bedroom hallway, and some light came under the bedroom door. One night, I woke up because I thought I heard someone in the house and that there was a break-in. I then heard footsteps up the slightly creaky stairs, and then down the hallway. It sounded like someone deliberately trying to be quiet, like going to bed late without waking everyone up. I was about to freak out if I saw something block the light under the door. The footsteps stopped, nothing blocked the light, that was it. I opened the door, thinking it was her mom getting some water or whatever, but could hear her down the hallway snoring softly. I checked the entire house for intruders, just in case. I don't really believe in ghosts, but this scared the shit out of me still...

Her mom said for the first few years that she would occasionally wake up after feeling the bed (next to her) sink down like someone was getting into bed next to her. She said it was obvious who it was, and that it was comforting.

Last edited:
I ate a ten strip of LSD one time and had something kinda like that....but it was fish swimming in my room and a dog looking at me!......not creepy, kinda expected with that much acid!!:flipoff2:
:lol:
My only two times doing it were during my junior year in HS and involved a humpback whale and a melting toothbrush!

Reminds me of college Got into some gel drops one time. Hook up said they were fire but slow to kick in. There was this one dude we simply called yankee. Yankee was a dumbass. 5 minutes in he was convinced these were duds and popped 3 more.

Dude sat in a "corner" in a field curled up in the fetal position balling his eyes out all night. I dont know what he saw or experienced but I am not sure he ever recovered.

I can tell you with all certainty that if you look for it and want it badly enough, you will find it.

I'm a firm believer in this.

When I was a teenager several friends and I were out ghost hunting. We were checking out places that we had heard stories of. One night we going to check out a place. It was out in the middle of nowhere. We parked on the side of the road waiting on the others to get there. We ( 5 of us ) were in a friends CJ5 with the engine off. While we were waiting we heard what sounded like a couple foot steps. Then something was running at us. Something with 2 feet. My friend started the jeep and we got the hell out of there. We hauled ass back to a friends house. We thought maybe they had beat us there somehow and was trying to scare us. When we got to the house everyone was still there.

Had two dogs in high school that got tangled up and one of them got strangled by the other one's lead. Dog was "dead" for at least a few hours before I buried it. I buried it about 8 miles from the house. A few days later I spotted her running in the street all dirty, with the same bare skin spots, and acting wild. Wouldn't come to me and never saw it again. Went back to the spot where I buried her and sure enough no dog. Some pet cemetery stuff going on out there.

1977? my family was visiting a friend/co worker of my dad in Davis N.C. I got bored and asked if I could ride a bicycle they had leaning against a tree in the yard. I headed south and ended up on a long narrow path/earth bridge across the marsh that ran for a mile or more towards Davis Island. I peddled along on the sand bridge for 20 mins. or so and stopped to pee near another of many small thickets of cedar on the side of mostly wide open path w views all the way to Core Banks and the soundside. After I peed I was compelled explore/sneak into the dense cedar/juniper thicket on the east side. I had to duck down and squeeze through the bushes as entered the brush and found a small opening w about 3 or 5 tombstones, a small graveyard maybe 15'x15' w dates to the middle 1800s?. It appeared to me that no one had visited it in decades and I wondered if anyone even knew the graves were there anymore. I felt like I found a needle in a haystack and I don't think it was random that I happened stop there and find those graves, there were dozens of small thickets all up and down that bridge and they all looked about the same.

Back