What keeps you motivated?

Scooter402

Ruffling feathers and shaking trees
For goings-on in the garage, that is.

My CJ has been in some state of disrepair for the last 9 years...as depressing as that sounds, I still keep finding the drive to continue plugging along in the precious few moments I get from time to time. The beginning of that 9 years was mostly wasted due to continuously changing my mind on what I was doing...I've spent the last 4-5 years mostly undoing what I did approximately 12 years ago.

I'd think that many would probably just give up and start over with something new at this point... I've highly considered from time to time just parting out my junk and scrapping the rest to find some other platform to go with, now thinking that I know what I want to do. The truth of the matter is that with my rig, I've got so many open/loose ends on various projects here and there and it's nearly overwhelming. All of which, of course, is because I apparently have issues keeping a linear train of thought. Some of that, however, I attribute to having some lack of parts/extra cash/time, etc. to continue on thing before I jump to the next.

I guess the long and the short of it is this -- I'm not really asking what you would do in my scenario, but what keeps you going? I've found myself lately thinking of calling it quits, at least on what I have going now. But then I peek out into the garage, or linger for a moment while I'm in there taking out the trash and look at the countless hours I've put in.

Wheeling keeps me going. I’ve gotten away from this hobby a few times to go to ATVs and motorcycles, fishing more. I always come back to wheeling. Last year I was pretty sure I was out for a while if not for good. But nope, back at it.
I love to take something meant to go down the highway and make it go up a mountain instead.

But the short of it is wheeling. I love being outdoors in the woods, and especially like climbing over obstacles in a 4x4. I plan trips, so I have deadlines to get it back together. I prioritize upgrades based on need/want, cash flow and downtime. I took a break the last several years due to serious life changes. But a lot of that was working hard to chip away debt. I started a thread that I need to update, but as of last week we are officially debt free other than our house. So now I can really enjoy the Jeep and doing upgrades is a lot easier.

I don’t know if any of that answers your question lol. I just like to keep mine together, and hope to be ready most of the time in case of random wheeling opportunities. Some of my best trips have been ones mostly unplanned, even if only for a day. Can’t do that if your junk is torn apart.

My Jeep is currently in this state however, but will be back together next week.
A23B1A0A-2B53-4982-A9AE-2B212076251A.jpeg
0DD32299-01A0-46F1-A79A-CF6306BB9B3C.jpeg

Last edited:
For me, it's visualizing a finished product. These dreams can come from something as simple as finding a part in the junkyards or abandoned in the woods. Other times, just walking into the shop and seeing a pile of parts in front of me. I had to buy them and take them home, ya know. All of sudden I can see the wide open untamed trail ahead, smell the new tires burning down on a rock, the woodsmoke and the unburnt fuel. I can feel the rumble of a healthy v8 under my feet and vibrating through the steering wheel. It's true, every large task is a culmination of smaller ones. Everything from there on is collecting more parts and dreams to make it all work.

Wheeling keeps me going. I’ve gotten away from this hobby a few times to go to ATVs and motorcycles, fishing more. I always come back to wheeling. Last year I was pretty sure I was out for a while if not for good. But nope, back at it.
I love to take something meant to go down the highway and make it go up a mountain instead.

But the short of it is wheeling. I love being outdoors in the woods, and especially like climbing over obstacles in a 4x4. I plan trips, so I have deadlines to get it back together. I prioritize upgrades based on money, cash flow and downtime. I took a break the last several years due to serious life changes. But a lot of that was working hard to chip away debt. I started a thread that I need to update, but as of last week we are officially debt free other than our house. So now I can really enjoy the Jeep and doing upgrades is a lot easier.

I don’t know if any of that answers your question lol. I just like to keep mine together, and hope to be ready most of the time in case of random wheeling opportunities. Some of my best trips have been ones mostly unplanned, even if only for a day. Can’t do that if your junk is torn apart.

My Jeep is currently in this state however, but will be back together next week.
View attachment 263493 View attachment 263494

That does answer my question, and thank you. I haven't actually been down a trail since 2004. It was after that when I decided I had a love for mud racing that occupied the following 4 years of my 4x4 "career." I still would like to that, but I really would love to just get out in the woods and go on a wheeling trip again, even if just for a day. Thanks for that! I'm with you on the obstacles right now. With a 10 month old daughter, work being busy, and other personal issues chipping away at my patience and sanity, I keep struggling just to make one day to the next, much less actually spend some time in the garage just doing what I want to do.

For me, it's visualizing a finished product. These dreams can come from something as simple as finding a part in the junkyards or abandoned in the woods. Other times, just walking into the shop and seeing a pile of parts in front of me. I had to buy them and take them home, ya know. All of sudden I can see the wide open untamed trail ahead, smell the new tires burning down on a rock, the woodsmoke and the unburnt fuel. I can feel the rumble of a healthy v8 under my feet and vibrating through the steering wheel. It's true, every large task is a culmination of smaller ones. Everything from there on is collecting more parts and dreams to make it all work.

This is exactly what keeps me going. I can't draw to save my life, but at one point when taking a study break while I was still working on my degree, I turned to the back page of my notebook and sketched a rough rendering of what was in my head of what I want my CJ to be. I don't know exactly which notebook that is in (I've still got a rather large stack of all my class notes and textbooks in the back of the closet), but I may have to go do some digging and take a peek at it again just to reignite that spark of imagination.

The visualization you painted of the trail ahead, with the sounds and sights included is exactly what I'll have to keep in mind.

For me, motivation is visualizing using it in the future and placing the thing in a place that's in my way, so I am obligated to with on it because it's in the way. Example: needed to swap the rear end. Moved into driveway, sold original rear and left it there. So if I want my driveway back, I'll get the rear under it.

Now that I'm getting older and drifted away from actually wheeling ( yes, I'm lame) it's simply keeping my aging pile of parts running.
But I do gotta admit ..... top and doors off all summer long is a decent motivator.

Matt

what keeps you going?

A running, driving (secondary) rig

I've done it many different ways. Resto-mod a hot rod, restores old motorcycles, built drag cars, frame off CJ build......and lost interest in almost ALL of them.

I've found the key is something running and able to be beat on

In your case, I know it's money, but go find a beater to abuse. Just 2-3 hrs in the trail will be enough to have you back in the garage getting yelled at for wasting time on that CJ away from loved ones :D:D

Seriously, a running and driving POS can save a passion

My motivation level is near zero. It is not due to lack of interest in going wheeling, but mostly due to a lack of time to work on my rig, and also somewhat time to actually go. It could be a hobby that I come back to heavily 5-10 years from now when I have more free time.

Last edited:
For me, motivation is visualizing using it in the future and placing the thing in a place that's in my way, so I am obligated to with on it because it's in the way. Example: needed to swap the rear end. Moved into driveway, sold original rear and left it there. So if I want my driveway back, I'll get the rear under it.
That's one way to do it! I had the front of my CJ on jack stands for the better part of a year. And it wasn't that it took me that long to turn my Chevy 44 into a pass. side drop 44, it was totally a lack of time. Literally one day to strip it down and cut the knuckles off, then wait for months... then another two days to put it back together and back in under the front. I'd leave it in the driveway, but my snotty neighbors would probably bitch at me. :D
Now that I'm getting older and drifted away from actually wheeling ( yes, I'm lame) it's simply keeping my aging pile of parts running.
But I do gotta admit ..... top and doors off all summer long is a decent motivator.

Matt
This is true... I haven't driven around a topless/doorless jeep in probably about 14 years or so...wow, that sounds amazing to do right now!
A running, driving (secondary) rig

I've done it many different ways. Resto-mod a hot rod, restores old motorcycles, built drag cars, frame off CJ build......and lost interest in almost ALL of them.

I've found the key is something running and able to be beat on

In your case, I know it's money, but go find a beater to abuse. Just 2-3 hrs in the trail will be enough to have you back in the garage getting yelled at for wasting time on that CJ away from loved ones :D:D

Seriously, a running and driving POS can save a passion

I'm with you on the secondary rig! I've often thought about rat-holing some cash now and then to buy a beater to thrash. I've ALWAYS wanted to build a street rod, but don't (obviously) have the time or patience to do it right now. But another jeep to flog would be so much fun. Maybe I should go get one, and name it my "rebound bitch" - you know, do all the things you never got to do before, but don't have to put in any of the work it took to get there. :lol:

How did you know I got yelled st so much for that? :D

For me, its the adrenaline rush that comes from pushing my rig as hard as I can, every time Im out, while insuring that I can still drive it home. I also enjoy the wrenching time just as much as trail time. Ive been down for a while due to getting married and buying a house, but Ive got the part list on rock auto ready to go here in a couple weeks.

@Scooter402 , maybe you should buy a mildly built XJ and just get out back out on the trail for a year or so with it. See if it motivates you to finish your CJ. You could probably sell the XJ for what you paid for it once your CJ is done. Mildly built XJ's can be found cheap, and are very capable.

@Scooter402 , maybe you should buy a mildly built XJ and just get out back out on the trail for a year or so with it. See if it motivates you to finish your CJ. You could probably sell the XJ for what you paid for it once your CJ is done. Mildly built XJ's can be found cheap, and are very capable.
I know what you mean. I think that would probably serve well to give some forward momentum. I don't live far from Rausch Creek... I might need to go spend a day or two out there

Hands down, creative outlet....hands down financial obligations kill it.......having a decent amount of smarts coupled with a decent amount of wants equals stalemate. This is the evil other then time that halts my progress. Is it ego? Or is it I know I cannot afford the way I want it? Maybe my "smarts" are not superb enough to over come this pitfall? I'm motivated toward an impasse. This is my Achilles Heel.

My motivation is one of those near perfect weather days in Harlan, hanging with your closest friends, talking friendly trash as you each take turns on an obstacle. I build my truck for "those kind" of days.
Had that a few times. GMP with @Stuntman Autoworks and @DirkaDirka875. Harlan and Windrock a million times with @woodrow, @thebrotherinlaw and @McCracken. Chocco with @GONOVRIT and Norton.
I work a lot and my work takes a lot of my mental energy. For me wheeling is a true therapy session where I can get away from a ringing phone and constant connection to customers.

Wish I could find the answer to this...3 of my rigs have been $1000 and a weekend or two’s time away from being DD’able for about 4 years now. I blamed it on constant travel and job moves and once I got settled with a shop, I’d get my act together. I’ve had my 30x40 for about 18 months now, and the only thing that’s changed is my Bronco has a flat now.

How did you know I got yelled st so much for that? :D

Figured as much as we seem to have in common, that HAD to be a common denominator as well :smokin:

That's what I'm talkin bout!

My motivation is one of those near perfect weather days in Harlan, hanging with your closest friends, talking friendly trash as you each take turns on an obstacle. For me wheeling is a true therapy session where I can get away from a ringing phone and constant connection to customers.

This exactly

There's just something about being around a fire after a long day of wheeling ad shooting the shit with your buds

20170923_083421.jpg

Absolute therapy.

Once you fall off the deep end and decide to start taking care of yourself...your MENTAL health, you either turn to medication, a shrink, or do what me and MY buds do....our OWN therapy

11 (1024x768).jpg

You can tell me work commitments, or scheduling, or you just don't have TIME

But for me....this isn't just an excuse to go break stuff. It isn't a cop-out to get out of obligations. This truly is therapy! This is how I keep from climbing a clock tower and taking out campaigning politicians when they come to town :huggy: or ramming Shequeesha off the road after she cuts me off on the hiway while she's busy txtn'g her baby-daddy demands for child support, or when clients want ridiculous deadlines met.

Once a month I take 1-2 days off and head out of town with my homies to re-center myself and get my sanity back

THAT...is my motivation! Seeing that shit work

I struggle to find motivation to work on my truggy when it needs work (like it currently sits). Too many hobbies for me, and I get annoyed it takes 6 hours to drive somewhere to ride all the time. Right now on a dirt bike kick as we can ride closer to home, and costs a lot less. Also about to be motorcycle track season again.

My motivation is one of those near perfect weather days in Harlan, hanging with your closest friends, talking friendly trash as you each take turns on an obstacle. I build my truck for "those kind" of days.
Had that a few times. GMP with @Stuntman Autoworks and @DirkaDirka875. Harlan and Windrock a million times with @woodrow, @thebrotherinlaw and @McCracken. Chocco with @GONOVRIT and Norton.
I work a lot and my work takes a lot of my mental energy. For me wheeling is a true therapy session where I can get away from a ringing phone and constant connection to customers.
There's a lot of truth there. Not every trip is one of the best but when the conditions are right and everything clicks it turns into one your favorite memories.

@Loganwayne and I were talking about Walden's Ridge as soon as he gets his shitbox together

Figured as much as we seem to have in common, that HAD to be a common denominator as well :smokin:

That's what I'm talkin bout!

This exactly

There's just something about being around a fire after a long day of wheeling ad shooting the shit with your buds

View attachment 263510

Absolute therapy.

Once you fall off the deep end and decide to start taking care of yourself...your MENTAL health, you either turn to medication, a shrink, or do what me and MY buds do....our OWN therapy

View attachment 263511

You can tell me work commitments, or scheduling, or you just don't have TIME

But for me....this isn't just an excuse to go break stuff. It isn't a cop-out to get out of obligations. This truly is therapy! This is how I keep from climbing a clock tower and taking out campaigning politicians when they come to town :huggy: or ramming Shequeesha off the road after she cuts me off on the hiway while she's busy txtn'g her baby-daddy demands for child support, or when clients want ridiculous deadlines met.

Once a month I take 1-2 days off and head out of town with my homies to re-center myself and get my sanity back

New poster child to over come my deficits....I said this spring. It's nearly here.

I just like building shit...a day or two of working on stuff can make me feel a helluva lot better somehow. I really can't wait until I have all my land prep done and my shop is built.

All of my buddies are broke, but one of these days I'll get some hydro assist on my 99 Silverado and go wheel it. Even if I have to drag it to PA and sleep on your damn couch @Scooter402

Yep - thought you might have had a "been there, done that" moment as well. :D
That whole mental health thing...yeah. I definitely need a mental health day. And not one with the shrink...:rolleyes: She already told me I'm pretty much fucked. o_O

I've got no wheeling buddies up here, so if I went out to Rausch I'd probably either have to fly solo (I know, bad idea so I won't) or find a local group and be the new guy. But I can't do that unless I do get a different rig (now my wheels are churning on that one...gee, thanks y'all!), or wait another untold number of years until my chit's done again. But dammit those experiences y'all are posting up sure do look like some fun!
Lest we ever forget the epitome of what this thread is about:
All I wanted was a piece of cake...
That chit made me chuckle right there...a lot! :lol:
When the kids jump in the buggy and ask when we are going riding. That’s about the best motivation of anything.
THIS I cannot wait for. I hope my kid is going to be one that likes doing what I like.
I just like building shit...a day or two of working on stuff can make me feel a helluva lot better somehow. I really can't wait until I have all my land prep done and my shop is built.

All of my buddies are broke, but one of these days I'll get some hydro assist on my 99 Silverado and go wheel it. Even if I have to drag it to PA and sleep on your damn couch @Scooter402
You know me, buddy. I love working on shit, too...but I've gotten so damned scatter brained in the garage I have about 15 different loose ends to tie up. I'm going to have to discipline myself to slowly tighten them all up one at a time. It's a bit overwhelming each time I do have literally a minute to do anything, because I get my mind on one thing, then see something else that was left unfinished, and it gets me a little pissed...mostly at myself.

And all I've got to say about that last line is "bring yo ass!" Rausch Creek Offroad Park is about an hour and a half from me...could either make a kickass day trip, or a nice weekend anyway.

This for me but it also comes down to that I actually enjoy doing it. All the hours in the shop all the money spent all the time taken to go on trips (closest place is 3hrs, harlan is 6) doesn't matter. I have several hobbies and I make them all work because I really enjoy doing them. My personal opinion is if you keep making excuses as to why you cant go ride or why you don't have time to work on something etc etc... then you probably dont really enjoy what your doing.

Which is why I have quit golfing. I like going but I don't enjoy myself, I would try and get out of it when someone would ask me to go and now I'm to the point where I dont care for it and I'm going to sell my clubs.

Back