What's the best Offroad jack

I just keep a high lift in the bed of my truck.

aimages.gizmag.com_hero_4904_51205121235.jpg

In all seriousness, small bottle jacks can be used under the axle tubes where farm jacks raise the body.

Truthfully, I have had the TSC version of the Hi-Lift for years. And I still use it.
Simply put, you cant beat it to quickly get big tires off the ground.
As far as the body/axle tube deal goes, I strap the axle to the frame .... it lifts with the body.

But I am extremely careful when using these jacks .... we always make sure some one is a hands on operator.
And keep the mechanism clean and oiled.
Glitchy, sticky catch caused this.......

ai133.photobucket.com_albums_q65_Lizooki_SL730819.jpg

As useful as this actually looks, there's really no true justification to carry my ex anywhere...especially on the trail where she'd have a trapped audience for all that hot air...even while in the toolbox in the back

Bottle jack for lifting the rig safely. HiLift for pushing, pulling, etc. Never for working under

Looks like you could replicate cheap by just getting/making the adapters.

I agree, I may do that if my other option doesnt pan out. Turns out that the stock bottle jack for Land Rovers is very similar to this jack so I may try to find one at pullapart.

s-l1600.jpg

I have my front limit straps set up with quick release pins so I can unpin and re-pin in a higher position to let the axle "hang" from the strap when jacking up the vehicle. That way a flat will not have me lifting the truck sky high. This can easily be done with a length of chain and a couple bolts which is what I do on the rear of the truck.

I bought a bottle jack originally meant for Sprinter vans; it has the axle cradle already attached to the piston, and a very compact three-section handle.

I am going to pick up an RV style jack and raise and lower with a cordless impact.

This is what I use on my Ultra4 car. I changed a 39" tire in some crazy off camber canyon at KOH this year, and while the entire change took forever, my impact/RV Jack combo had the car in the air in seconds. If memory serves me right the scissor Jack is 3 times lighter than my hi-lift too.

That said, I've used a hi-lift for lots of other tasks outside of tire changes (always fear I'll need it when I leave it). Scissor Jack just goes up and down. However, if you have decent travel in your suspension, hi lift Jack won't lift your car high enough up in the air to get the tire off the ground. I've had to ratchet strap the axle to a steel tube on the frame to get the flat off when using the hi-lift.

Don't expect much. I bought a set of those 24" jacks

And they have to be more than 3/4 of the way extended before they will even attempt to lift. I used impact, breaker bar, and the provided wrench. They WILL NOT lift one tire off the ground at anything less than 3/4 extended.
Mine have zero issues from any distance.

Matt

Don't expect much. I bought a set of those 24" jacks

And they have to be more than 3/4 of the way extended before they will even attempt to lift. I used impact, breaker bar, and the provided wrench. They WILL NOT lift one tire off the ground at anything less than 3/4 extended.

as2.quickmeme.com_img_98_989c6688900fa65921a5bf47b086062f7bdcf28ad22bb6c7bb6336028b21e182.jpg

I have at least one of each: 1 hi-lift, 2 scissor jacks (small car type, RV type), 3 bottle jacks (2 ton, 4 ton, 6 ton double ram). The double ram will lift my J4000 with 35's, but it's slow. Either scissor will do the job; RV goes higher with more effort. I use the hi-lift for a puller or under the rear bumper to take weight off the springs if I can't get up to 3 tons of stuff unloaded promptly. Next, I'm looking at a long travel bottle type like an engine hoist ram but with a square flat bottom.
I take the 2 ton bottle, some 4x6 wood blocks, the small scissor, and the hi-lift when I go off-road.

Last edited:
Back