Where to take kids for cooler temps this weekend?

jeepinmatt

Using my powers for good since mid-2024
My wife got so mad at me about the ice cream thing that she left me, so it's just me and the boys til Monday. I'd like to go do something with them outside, but its gonna be too dang hot to be outside around Charlotte this weekend. What's a good kid-friendly activity for a pair of rambunctious 5&9 year olds that is at a higher elevation where it won't be so dang hot?

Mount Mitchell? Stay the night at the Switzerland Inn? They have a pool. The water is cold in the summer.

Linville Falls Campground. They can play in the river and you can drive down the parkway to the Museum of North Carolina Minerals and stop back by the Apple Orchard at Altapass for icecream.

South mountain, play in the river and go hiking.

Come on up my way and visit stone mountain. Let them play on the slides at widow falls and have some ice cream at the general store for good measure!

High Shoals Falls is pretty kid friendly but there are quite a few steps. We've done it 2 or 3 times with 5 &/or 9 year olds. :lol:
one doesn't have to climb the falls to enjoy the cooler temps and the running waters. We usually go the opposite direction, to many people trying to get up to the falls. Takes away from the peace of the forest.

Go see Deadpool 3 in a conditioned Theater :laughing:
But that only kills a few hours, so once you have tickets just stick around for a few more shows.

My wife got so mad at me about the ice cream thing that she left me, so it's just me and the boys til Monday. I'd like to go do something with them outside, but its gonna be too dang hot to be outside around Charlotte this weekend. What's a good kid-friendly activity for a pair of rambunctious 5&9 year olds that is at a higher elevation where it won't be so dang hot?
Sliding Rock here in Brevard, all the waterfalls here too.
Drive up through Bakersville to Roan Mountain to Elk Park Falls. Roan Campground is really nice.
Blowing Rock is always a lot cooler too. Hit the Boone Fork trail.

What's a good kid-friendly activity for a pair of rambunctious 5&9 year olds that is at a higher elevation where it won't be so dang hot?

Depends on your definition of 'kid-friendly', but you can do to them what was done to me...give them a maul & splitting wedge and make them split wood! I've got a bunch in Albemarle that needs to be split & if they get that done, I need help cleaning an old shop!

Saluda green river tubing
Water is cold when you get in. They'll be tired on the way home.
Did that Tuesday. It was fairly sporty, especially for my 5yr old šŸ¤£. Went and ate at Green river Eddy's afterwards and had a killer burger. I'm not sure if it was that good or if we were just tired and starving!

Back