Who Bakes bacon?

trevoringle

Just a dirtbike rider with a RZR
So we always buy Wright brand bacon and have always cooked it in cast iron or on the black stone, which is way harder on an adventure black stone but anyways wright brands website says I should be cooking they’re bacon in the oven so who does this and is it better?

I do it most of the time... I use a roasting pan with a wire rack but I like the idea of an aluminum cake pan. I like that it's consistent and that I can make pancake batter or whatever else while the bacon is in the oven and really never have to worry about it getting over done.

I do it most of the time... I use a roasting pan with a wire rack but I like the idea of an aluminum cake pan. I like that it's consistent and that I can make pancake batter or whatever else while the bacon is in the oven and really never have to worry about it getting over done.
I buy the 30 packs at sams club for like 10$ and tear them up. Use them for everything. I know it’s wasteful but makes clean up a breeze

I use half sheet aluminum pans with a layer of foil on them for cleanup. Cant quite get a whole lb on 1 pan. So I usually cut the whole pack in half crossways and bake half. Stays flat and is perfect for BLTs. 350 for 15 mins, drain and flip and then 15 more and lay it on a few paper towels until it cools. That's my favorite way doesn't seem near as greasy.

on a similar topic, who flours their bacon? I just heard about this the other week, and apparently it keeps the bacon from shrinking.

Also, to note, since I cure my own bacon; when you used sugar in the rub/cure, it doesnt burn in the oven like it does in the pan.

on a similar topic, who flours their bacon? I just heard about this the other week, and apparently it keeps the bacon from shrinking.

Also, to note, since I cure my own bacon; when you used sugar in the rub/cure, it doesnt burn in the oven like it does in the pan.
Had a guy literally tell me about the flour this morning

My wife prefers it in the oven. I prefer it uncooked. We compromise by doing it her way. Such is married life.

Well thanks for the reply’s everybody, I guess we’re going to try a new method this weekend for bacon. Kind of excited haha. I figured there really can’t be any “bad” bacon anyways

My wife prefers it in the oven. I prefer it uncooked. We compromise by doing it her way. Such is married life.
In all honesty, this is kinda what brought the information up. My wife has an extremely fine line between what’s done bacon and what’s burnt bacon so I was trying to figure out something consistent haha

That’s good to know too, I’ve noticed it burning easier in the pan the more sugar it has for whatever flavor it should be. I have not tried the flour bacon yet though

I do the "Gomer Pyle bacon". Get the oven 375* lay the bacon in a large, deep baking pan w tinfoil on the bottom and bake it till it's frying, about 10 mins. then pull it out and sprinkle sugar on the bacon w my fingers/thumbs. Then turn the bacon and sprinkle sugar on top and bake for till it's frying again. I like it chewy, she likes brown so I'll take half out and put it back for a few more mins.

Last edited:
@trevoringle Communist. That's your answer. 😁

We have several large family breakfasts a year. The year my sister in law offered to do the bacon and it was baked was the last year she made bacon. I'm sorry but the texture is all wrong and for me less flavor. When it gets cooled off it's even more yuk!

Cast iron and heat......fried in it's own drippings or not at all for this family.

@trevoringle Communist. That's your answer. 😁

We have several large family breakfasts a year. The year my sister in law offered to do the bacon and it was baked was the last year she made bacon. I'm sorry but the texture is all wrong and for me less flavor. When it gets cooled off it's even more yuk!

Cast iron and heat......fried in it's own drippings or not at all for this family.
Haha I’ll never disagree that’s it’s not the best option for sure but we’ve tried it and it’s not terrible. I’m pretty much to the point if you are cooking other things and just need the bacon “done” it does work but I still feel cast iron is the way to go, if nothing else it just feels right. Plus I just like using cast iron instead of our newer non-stick pans

Last edited:
Back