YJ power steering upgrade

Mac5005

I’m looking for info to upgrade the pump in my YJ.

I had ran the stock pump for years then burnt it up a couple years ago at ivy branch.

I then replaced it with a stock parts store pump, that had much worse psi/flow at idle than the stock one, but seemed to do ok about 1500 rpm.

After this weekend I’m tired of not being able to turn easily at idle.

I’m not sure what direction to take with a pump, had a plan but can’t seem to find the right part numbers and setup now.

My plan was to use a cast iron KRC- TC pump with a serpentine pulley. That should fit my stock mount and bracket.

This would allow me to change the output valve using krc parts to tune the flow easily. This meant I could get it decent for now, and not have to change pumps when going to full hydro.

I can’t seem to find the threads about which pump and pulley to get.

Also googled some about a 01-04 WJ pump, but at $150ish, seems like a big gamble to take not knowing what all the swap will require from my YJ pump to that WJ pump. I’m hesitant of the attached reservoir, and if I could use the same pump with full hydro.

Or should I get a different replacement OEM/stock YJ pump and modify it?

A bunch of old threads on hardline/pirate are trouble to find, and West Texas Offroad site is gone that outlines modding the pumps.

Thanks in advance for any info. Trying to avoid just calling PSC/Howe and spending $$$ on a pump kit.

Did you try putting a smaller pulley on stock pump? I got one from psc and it fixed everything

My pulley is 5.313, I ordered a 4.5 from Summit.

After reading about the horrors of parts house pumps, which may be part of my problem, I ordered an AC Delco pump. Going to try this with the underdrive pulley and keep my current pump as a trail spare.

My current one works, just weaker than I’d prefer.

Going to see how the new pump and pulley affect it, then possible mod the Delco pump.

Thanks guys and I’ll update when I have more info.

If you run the smaller pulley, just make sure your cooler is working well. You will bypass more fluid (obviously) and create more heat. You also won't gain any more overall pressure this way, just more flow at lower engine rpms. Modding the pump would be the easiest solution if you aren't happy with the pulley change.

If you run the smaller pulley, just make sure your cooler is working well. You will bypass more fluid (obviously) and create more heat. You also won't gain any more overall pressure this way, just more flow at lower engine rpms. Modding the pump would be the easiest solution if you aren't happy with the pulley change.

I have two coolers, one is 8x 12 and the other is 14x16 plus a mag filter inline.

Can feel they are working when I checked it on the trail. Obvious inlet outlet temp difference.

My biggest complaint is poor performance at idle, that became apparent immediately when I installed the vato-zone pump in place of my stock original pump.

Just trying to get back what I lost with the pump replacement without going through several cheap rebuilt pumps to find a good one, or spending $500 with Psc and have to change the entire system.

Psc has a pump for 95 and up models for $190, just the pump, but not available for earlier.

With the smaller pump it will actually like you are at 1500 rpm or more and your steering will feel great at all times

Inused this on two rigs with no issues. And yes I also had coolers on them.

The Yjs use a regular saginaw pump right? If so, just pull the fitting, take all the shims out and drill the fitting orifice to 5/32" That will solve your issue. You shouldn't need to worry about a ported pump or anything crazy yet.

The Yjs use a regular saginaw pump right? If so, just pull the fitting, take all the shims out and drill the fitting orifice to 5/32" That will solve your issue. You shouldn't need to worry about a ported pump or anything crazy yet.

Yep just a regular remote reservoir TC pump. Same as krc, Psc, trail gear etc

Yeah, parts store rebuilders like to throw any relief valves they find lying around into the pumps. One will have no shims and a large orifice meant for hydroboost and the next will have 8 shims on the valve and an orifice that was dropped and run over by a forklift...

Yeah, parts store rebuilders like to throw any relief valves they find lying around into the pumps. One will have no shims and a large orifice meant for hydroboost and the next will have 8 shims on the valve and an orifice that was dropped and run over by a forklift...

x2. I would check your current pump when you remove it. I bet that you can mod the valve to allow better flow and bypass pressure.

Having large diameter lines that are as straight as possible, throughout the system, will help keep the pressure and heat down, and flow up.

x2. I would check your current pump when you remove it. I bet that you can mod the valve to allow better flow and bypass pressure.

Having large diameter lines that are as straight as possible, throughout the system, will help keep the pressure and heat down, and flow up.

Factory pressure line to the box, 3/8 lines to the ram, 3/8 lines for return and coolers.

I’m going to compare both pumps when I take the current one off and before I install the acdelco.

My current pump orfice is 1/8” thinking of drilling to 3/16 and trying that just to note the difference.

I left the acdelco pump and underdrive pulley at home so I’ll check those out tomorrow.

a5583ce1ea08484a54df968e6c1abea3.jpg

1e416b94b836c17dd03bffc1ffaa03e2.jpg

My current pump orfice is 1/8” thinking of drilling to 3/16 and trying that just to note the difference.

I left the acdelco pump and underdrive pulley at home so I’ll check those out tomorrow.

a5583ce1ea08484a54df968e6c1abea3.jpg

1e416b94b836c17dd03bffc1ffaa03e2.jpg

Drill it to 1/4 and shim that spring with some washers. Plumb a gauge in line and bottom out your steering to see what it's relieving at. Add washers to achieve higher relief.

Back