05 TJ LS swap

marty79

LS powertrain came out of 02 Yukon. Got the 5.3, 4L60e and 241 with harness/ecu plus driveshaft yokes. Gonna be a cool build, and yes that turdy5 rear will be swapped too when it's done lol.
starting to round up parts!
do you or someone you know make radiators? or have a good link? would like to support a entrepreneur first but a link would help too. ebay and google has tons of them from 300-500, it's overwhelming lol. Would like electric fans with it and ditch the clutch fan...unless otherwise noted from anyone.
customer wants A/C to work so any advice or link on place that could do a/c conversion lines from the Chevy compressor to the Jeep system! thank you
Thinking making motor mounts so I can adjust motor for best fit vs the $250 ones that you weld on in pre-fit place....any good reason Not to do this.
Feel free to shoot ideas and thoughts, thanks.

Mishimoto makes an LS swap radiator if it's mostly stock frame wise. If not then I've have good luck with Griffin universal fits. Easiest way to find them is on Summits website. I know Alliance Hose in Greensboro has made AC lines before if you have a hose place near you, try there. Of not Vintage air has some universal kits to make lines. Motor mounts I'd likely just buy some since there's a bunch on the market, assuming it's factory frame rail. If not, they're easy to fab up.

Are you going to use a mechanical fan or use all electric?

This is gonna be fun to watch! :D

Mishimoto makes an LS swap radiator if it's mostly stock frame wise.
i saw those and was wondering if they're good for the price. thanks. It's stock frame, nothing fancy other than getting rear axle swap done when complete (probably an 8.8).
Are you going to use a mechanical fan or use all electric?
I want to do electric along with my own motor mounts so I can fit the motor forward more but I'll see once I get motor trans tcase all under there and see what kinda measurements I'm looking at with driveline

This is gonna be fun to watch! :D
yes it is and fun to do. It's gotta come out good cause he's already got another friend who I just found out today is in line for one on his jeep...oh snap. The fun jobs begin! On the road to getting away from just turning wrenches and doing nothing but custom work and fab stuff...that's my goal here and 2 LS swaps lined up is a great beginning.

i saw those and was wondering if they're good for the price. thanks. It's stock frame, nothing fancy other than getting rear axle swap done when complete (probably an 8.8).

I want to do electric along with my own motor mounts so I can fit the motor forward more but I'll see once I get motor trans tcase all under there and see what kinda measurements I'm looking at with driveline
Mishimoto makes a damn nice product, I would not hesitate to run one. You dont want to push the motor forward at all if you want to run AC, have an ls swapped TJ at my shop currently and there's maybe an 1/8" between the fan and the water pump. Pretty sure it was done with Novak mounts. Which iirc they have a damn nice radiator and fan package but it's not exactly cheap.

Have fun packaging it all, the exhaust and driveshaft and motor mount will want to occupy the same space.

Have fun packaging it all, the exhaust and driveshaft and motor mount will want to occupy the same space
Yeah I've read up that it's cool but not necessarily fun fitting it all in

have an ls swapped TJ at my shop currently and there's maybe an 1/8" between the fan and the water pump.
Dang thanks for the heads up! Is that with factory clutch fan

Currently stuffing a 6.0 on a 2000 XJ and am using the Novak motor mounts and radiator. All very well made and work well. I also have been to Alamance hose for my AC lines. Great guys down there.

also have been to Alamance hose for my AC lines. Great guys down there.
Sweet good to know, I dont mind the drive.

I was just there this morning. Two custom ac hoses were $54.00. I supplied some of the ends was pleased with the price and quality.
Holy cow, some reason I was thinking several good hundreds. Thanks bud

I'd use a motor mount system that is available instead of fabricating one. The engineering has already been done and the time you save can be spent on other projects.
Yeah I'm looking at them

Ho hum another Ls swap.... @shawn we need a bored smiley...
haha yeah I agree, as great a motor and power for the money you get, I'm not fond of them just cause of the reason that everyone has one. Why i love building that Mounty cause it's different platform that you don't hardly see and well, just a "boring" old 5.0 LOL

haha yeah I agree, as great a motor and power for the money you get, I'm not fond of them just cause of the reason that everyone has one. Why i love building that Mounty cause it's different platform that you don't hardly see and well, just a "boring" old 5.0 LOL

Call me a fanboy but I think LS is king. Parts are literally everywhere, as are motors. I could be wheeling anywhere in the country and find parts I need easily, even a whole motor on market place instantly. The initial cost, power to weight, tuneability and aftermarket support are hard to argue with. There’s a reason it’s such a popular swap.

I'm going with the Mishimoto Radiator, way better reviews than Griffin for the same price!
On the electric fan, there are slim models that allow push or pull, could be mounted in front of radiator inside grill for more clearance, or vise a versa??? anyone have any opposing notes on this, thanks

Pull with the fan. Push does not work well, as the air gets distorted and bounces. When you pull the air with a proper fan shroud you force that air to come thru the radiator.

You need something like this for fan relay and wiring. Proper wire size and quality relays is important. I melted several relays before switching to this.
Cool Fan Relay / Wire (No Sensor)

Pull with the fan. Push does not work well, as the air gets distorted and bounces. When you pull the air with a proper fan shroud you force that air to come thru the radiator.

You need something like this for fan relay and wiring. Proper wire size and quality relays is important. I melted several relays before switching to this.
Cool Fan Relay / Wire (No Sensor)
Cool I was looking into a good one of those, mishimoto has one for 65 but if that one is good, thanks for the link

Carb or efi?

Originally was wanting carb v8 swap for simplicity, less parts/sensors to worry about but then he decided to put up the budget for LS and rear end swap. Now you got me intrigued on a carbed LS ...what's the benefits besides simplicity if any?

Back