jeepinmatt

..l.
That's how much torque the 2019 Ram Cummins is rated at. I thought it would be incrementally, and take another year or two before the HD truck market made that jump. But I'm glad they went ahead with it because we all new it was coming. I'm sure Ford and GM will respond in kind. Also, 2018 was the last year of the manual Cummins, so those trucks just shot up in value for the long term.
The 2019 Ram Heavy Duty Makes a Ridiculous 1,000 Lb-Ft of Torque

Meh, one has been able to make more tq than that with a Ram and a simple plug in tune for 7-8yrs now. One reason anyone in the know knew this would wind up being factory numbers. The question now is where/when does it stop? When Commifornia and the libtards figure out these diesels can pull their little house down heads could explode:eek::lol:

It's a shame, a new Cummins with a stick shift was on my wish list in a couple of years.

From what I have read, emissions regulations will make a manual transmission vehicle impossible to build, that and the lack of knowledge amongst the majority of buyers to operate a stick shift....is that clutch chatter or a death rattle I hear?

Last edited:
The question now is where/when does it stop?

This is what i have wondered for a long time. How much power does a truck really need? Yeah, my dicks bigger mentality, but whatever. I would take a new truck with 600lb/ft that got 4-5 mpg better mileage in a heart beat. You still won't get there much faster than me.

Impressive, and sad at the same time. Real trucks have three pedals.

I disagree. REAL trucks only have 2 pedals and only big egos think they’re smarter than an automatic. It’s the same with sports cars. Driving stick might be more fun, but definitely not better.

I disagree. REAL trucks only have 2 pedals and only big egos think they’re smarter than an automatic. It’s the same with sports cars. Driving stick might be more fun, but definitely not better.

What’s better than controlling your own shift points? It’s not a race.

I have no dog in this fight but I always hear people complaining about their shift points on an auto while towing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Or people who want their truck to be in the right gear for whatever is ahead. Automatics are by nature reactionary, not proactive or anticipatory. There are advantages to both types. I think the automated manuals are a good compromise from a losses standpoint, but they don't solve the clutch strength issues and are still reactionary. Autos waste so much energy spinning a torque converter. That's the main reason I hate them.

I disagree, while sports cars are faster in automatic form. When it comes to towing i know what gear the truck should be in, versus what gear it thinks it should be in. The newer tow/haul modes are getting a lot better but still, how many times does it upshift while towing just to have to down shift 30 seconds later. (unless in manual mode).

Automatics have come a long way, but I will take a manual that lets me put the engine at the RPM it should be at to pull an upcoming grade, vs. an automatic that will shift half way up a grade after lugging the engine for 20 seconds under load.

I prefer towing with a manual because I can put the engine in the sweet spot of the torque curve and maintain speed when going up and down hills....modern automatics put in "D" can't maintain speed and RPM, they are all designed to shift up gears and drop RPM....I have found I either have to manually select a gear with an auto or constantly put my foot into it (and constantly increasing speed) when going up hills.

it is hard to check your facebook feed, drink your chi latte, and fix your hair while shifting gears in a manual......perhaps that is what drives the operator preference for a slush box these days?

It's adorable to listen to all y'all talking about where shift points ought to be.

Anybody that actually owns a Cummins knows you just put it in 6 and hammer down.

What’s better than controlling your own shift points? It’s not a race.

I have no dog in this fight but I always hear people complaining about their shift points on an auto while towing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don’t complain and I can control what gear I’m in whenever I want.

Or people who want their truck to be in the right gear for whatever is ahead. Automatics are by nature reactionary, not proactive or anticipatory. There are advantages to both types. I think the automated manuals are a good compromise from a losses standpoint, but they don't solve the clutch strength issues and are still reactionary. Autos waste so much energy spinning a torque converter. That's the main reason I hate them.

I think I’d enjoy a conversation with you about this. My control of my gas pedal is what removes the reaction part. Knowing my truck and when it shifts determines my throttle to avoid unnecessary shifts.

I have to ride the brake pulling 30,000 lbs up monteagle and my 06 cummings only has 610ft/lbs. Cant imagine 1000.

You maybe the master of YOUR gas pedal, but a manual let's a good driver get behind any steering wheel and be in control of the truck and the load with nothing more then an attentive ear.

Nothing cooler then rowing gears in a pickup, I would take 500 ft lbs and a stick over 1000 ft lbs and an automatic.

Sadly, the only stick shift pickups left are going to be 2wd, 4 bangers that struggle to pull anything more then a load of groceries home.

You maybe the master of YOUR gas pedal, but a manual let's a good driver get behind any steering wheel and be in control of the truck and the load with nothing more then an attentive ear.

Nothing cooler then rowing gears in a pickup, I would take 500 ft lbs and a stick over 1000 ft lbs and an automatic.

Sadly, the only stick shift pickups left are going to be 2wd, 4 bangers that struggle to pull anything more then a load of groceries home.

In our generation manual transmissions will be a thing of the past.
I get it, you're manly and like to rub your stick up and back. Over the last 10 years the number of road tractors produced with automatic transmissions has grown from sub 1% to now over 20% of all new road tractors are automatic. And the big fleets are saying improved gas mileage, reduced repair bills reduced accidents.

I mean its cool, I still like packing a muzzle loaded rifle, but I'd lose against a fully auto assault rifle in a fire fight every time same deal.

As for your predictive rpm for hills, as long as you can see the hill you can prepare with throttle input, as you should be doing in either configuration.
Manually selectable automatics also meet this same criteria.
When you get to 1,000 ftlb stock levels things get critical, pick the wrong gear let the clutch out and see what breaks...

Aside from @jeepinmatt 's point about energy loss through the torque converter, the key to all this is manual-mode automatics. You get he best of all worlds, minus maybe the fun of physically throwing your arms through the gears.
As mentioned the real problem with autos is that they are reactionary, and don't have the power of a human brain behind them to predict ahead of time what the gearing needs to be so you don't have a loss, like when you're making the change between downdhill and uphill and want to be ahead of the lug, and in the power band already when needed.
You also can't compression brake to slow down coasting to a light etc.
But, you CAN do all that with an auto in manual-mode...

Also, you guys have to realize that in the not-too-distant future the same AI tech used for lane deviation and collision avoidance etc will also be applied to the transmission, so it can and will do the above things for you.
I love the manual in my car, and specifically ruled out any non-manual car for my DD, solely bc to me it makes driving more fun. I don't pretend that it makes me faster or gives better fuel economy, because it doesn't... I just like the physical interaction with the car and the "feel" of rowing gears. I hold no bones about the fact that this will eventually be deemed 100% unnecessary, and in many ways already is, I just admit it is purely for my own happiness.

Meh, one has been able to make more tq than that with a Ram and a simple plug in tune for 7-8yrs now. One reason anyone in the know knew this would wind up being factory numbers. The question now is where/when does it stop? When Commifornia and the libtards figure out these diesels can pull their little house down heads could explode:eek::lol:

I figure it'll be any time now, similar to the hp battles on the late 60's-early 70's. The battle will either be regulated out, or you'll have guys like me with a 2017 cummins wondering how much more I actually need. I know, I know...the answer is 'all of it'...but we'll hit the equilibrium of soccer moms and dudes hauling 4x6' trailers that won't want to pay the 1000 ft/lb price tag.

Amen...I've yet to find anything I can do with a manual, that I can't do with an auto...D1/D2 has been selectable in autos for a mighty long time, if that's the argument.

UTfball68 said:
Amen...I've yet to find anything I can do with a manual

Drive with 1000 ftbs of tq reliably? I know you don’t make that or “need” it but I’d still own my old ram if it wasn’t eating manual transmissions due to tq.

Drive with 1000 ftbs of tq reliably? I know you don’t make that or “need” it but I’d still own my old ram if it wasn’t eating manual transmissions due to tq.

I don't know what kinda tq you were putting down, but don't forget, 1000+hp/1000+tq engines is kinda what LEB does, and the corresponding parts. If I had to venture a guess, if you were eating transmissions, a couple things were at play, 1) whoever was building them didn't have a clue what they were doing 2) it was a factory weak point and tq output wouldn't have mattered anyway 3) it wasn't a factory weak point, but you were expecting too much out of the trans. As noted above, there are daily driven street trucks with 1000+/tq that are backed by 80's-90's autos that don't have near the technology we have today. Hop on any 90’s or newer diesel page, and if you can’t find dozen of them in 30 seconds, leave the page because it’s full of idiots.

Last edited:
Back