14bolt gears and guards

orange150

i want to go ahead and order everything for my 14bolt so when i finally get this stupid 205 in my truck i can move onto the 14bolt without waiting. anyway, im going to order Skys disk brake brackets, and 5.13s to match my front axle, but how do i determine if i need "thick" gears or regular. it has 4.56s and a detroit in it right now. also what about protection? should i get a guard or one of those beefy diff covers? im open to ideas.

You only need to run a thick gearset if you are running a mismatched carrier from the break. example: I believe the carrier break is 3.73 down and 4.10 and up. So if the axle had 3.73s, and you wanted to use the existing carrier with 5.13s you would need a thick ring gear. However, your axle had 4.56s, so you wouldnt need a thick ring gear since its already above the carrier break.

With a 14 bolt, you deffinitely need a stronger diff cover. the stock cover is about as thick as a piece of paper.

Gears

It's actually from what I've been told that it's from 4:10's and down and then if you want to run a higher gear then you will need to go to a thick gear to run a 4:56 and up on the 4:10 and down carrier.(if that makes any sense). So he might be running a thick gear already, will need to get a thick 5:13 gear to replace it. Just my .02 cents.

Yeah, it depends on the carrier that's in the axle now. If it's an OEM 4.56 set, he'll want thin gears. If those 4.56s were swapped in, all bets are off. I'd say most of the aftermarket stuff is intended to be used with thick gears.

If it were me, I'd buy thick gears and swap to a 4.10 carrier. The ARB and spool both use thick gears, so if you wanted to swap diffs later, you'd have to buy new gears otherwise.

You'll definitely need a cover.

I can make you this if you want;

p369-1113111529.jpg
[/IMG]

1/2" thick plate, 1" in direction of impact :) .

pm me.

well i plan on keeping the detroit in it, i dont really ever plan on swapping in a spool or ARB. can i tell by taking off the diff cover and actually looking at the gears?

Yeah, but mine cost.... um, probably 3% of what they're charging for that one.

35% their price fo mine ;) ? That would be $75 drilled, no bolts and primed.

Shawn, true, but there is no way i could make anything like that with the skills i posses now. now if you are trying to make a business deal that is another story.....

saf-t scissors said:
Yeah, it depends on the carrier that's in the axle now. If it's an OEM 4.56 set, he'll want thin gears. If those 4.56s were swapped in, all bets are off. I'd say most of the aftermarket stuff is intended to be used with thick gears.

If it were me, I'd buy thick gears and swap to a 4.10 carrier. The ARB and spool both use thick gears, so if you wanted to swap diffs later, you'd have to buy new gears otherwise.

You'll definitely need a cover.

I hate agreeing with shawn, but hes 100%

yup the carrier split is 4.10 down / 4.56 up (for stock gears)

As why I have a 4.10 carrier waiting till i need to go to 5.12s or other THICK gears that are only made to fit a 4.10 /down carrier...

orange150 said:
Shawn, true, but there is no way i could make anything like that with the skills i posses now. now if you are trying to make a business deal that is another story.....

So what you mean to say is that you don't have great skills. You know, like nunchuck skills, bowhunting skills, computer hacking skills.

I thought you had a welder... but if not, I guess you'll have to buy something. Crane covers are very nice.... get what you pay for... but they're still $215/ea.

nah i never got a welder, figured i would just save my money for parts.

and Shawn could you get your stuff out of my locker, i cant fit my nunchucks in it anymore.

Email this addy "shawn4x4@greatlakeoffroad.com" or go on ebay type in 14 bolt and look for the track hoe sitting on the diff cover. He uses 1/2" bolt ring and 1/4" hardened steel for it lifetime guarentee for cheaper than most aftermarkets available.

ok, i hate to sort of keep asking the same questions but what about either of these two diff covers? both seem pretty nice, and not $$$$ like the crane. im sure its more a personal preferance thing, but i want to make sure i get the right product.

also, my axle is a CUCV axle that came with the 4.56's and detroit if that helps with the thick or regular gearing issue.

Either one should be fine.

Keep in mind that the thick Dana cover is only 1/8", and it's a fawking bruiser.

if anyone is interested, which im sure you're not, i went with ebay dude, his stuff was definatly the cheapest with out me making my own, and seemed strong enough... you know, with the whole track hoe bearing down on it and all, lifetime warrenty. now i just have to locate some gears and ill be set.

Have you priced thick 5.13s? Chances off you're better buying thick gears and a new carrier.

You should be able to find a used thin carrier for pretty cheap, too.

so i have to buy gears ($200) a new carrier ($200) and the installation kit thing ($150).... wonderful

hey if i bought a spool do i still need to buy that installation kit deal

You need the kit but $150 seems high to me :) .

Back