1930's Farmhouse Rebuild - phase ll

It wasn't dilapidated, just dated. It did have its rough spots though. I have a bad habit of tearing it all out when I get started. I had planned to redo everything from the start and I like to know what I'm starting with too. Wiring and plumbing would have been a nightmare without total exposure for me. Plus I was also looking for the old mans money!

Second floor demo. Ceiling height was around 7' 4" and had a nice wave to it. Not sure if I have the pictures of it but i tore out entire ceiling and raised it up to 8'.

IMG_2339.JPG

IMG_2341.JPG

More water damage

IMG_2342.JPG

IMG_2343.JPG

IMG_2340.jpg

After all the plaster dust had settled and the last of the tens of thousands of tiny nails that had held it up was pulled, I tore into floor.

I salvaged what hardwoods and floor joist that I could and was left with this. Originally there was a 6x8 main beam that under the wall at the stair case. About 5' of it had been turned to paper by termites. I dug a 24"x24" hole 4' deep, poured a footer and laid up another pier for my 2x10 triple beam.

IMG_2336.JPG

IMG_2337.JPG

IMG_2338.JPG

No more dirt floor. I ended up digging a few more inches of dirt out just to give a little more wiggle room under the floor.

IMG_2354.jpg

IMG_2355.jpg

Reframed the wall between the kitchen and dining room with slightly bigger opening. I wanted to leave the whole wall out but my wife wanted a "formal" dining room.

IMG_2423.JPG

Reframed pantry floor and added header for a pocket door. Framed up the former screened-in porch for laundry/mud room. Moved kitchen entrance to a previous window location.

IMG_2425.JPG

Fixed water damage.

IMG_2428.JPG

Reframed all load bearing headers

IMG_2429.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_2430.JPG
    IMG_2430.JPG
    109.9 KB · Views: 276
A few more floor demo pics I found on my phone.

Harwood removal.

1209140954.jpg

Just your standard issue 1" corn cob plug. Also found a 3/4" rock plug in the soffit!

1217141445.jpg

Floating floor

1211140912.jpg

Screened in porch demo

0115151229.jpg

This was under the first course of brick they laid on screened in porch.

0115151224.jpg

Please tell me you opened up that wall and left the original brick exposed

I will tell you that the walls came down to expose the brick......so that the brick could come down too. Sorry to deliver such a crushing blow. I'll post a pic of the top of the chimney and you will see why. We planned on this being a master suite so it ate up alot of closet space that was unfortunately needed.

It looked like this for the most part. The mortar was pretty much sand so we pulled most of it down with just our hands.

0207150956.jpg

0207150956a.jpg

Dad getting in on the action. You can see a little in this pic of new 2nd floor ceiling joist/ 3rd floor floor system. Plans are for a play room for my boy, and chimney was smack in the middle of it too.

0207151118.jpg

I will tell you that the walls came down to expose the brick......so that the brick could come down too. Sorry to deliver such a crushing blow. I'll post a pic of the top of the chimney and you will see why. We planned on this being a master suite so it ate up alot of closet space that was unfortunately needed.

Bummer but nice that it's creating some added space.

One of mine is suffering the same fate... It will have to come down :(
It's splitting in two right down the middle

Looks like you had your hands full with the remodel!

Bummer but nice that it's creating some added space.

One of mine is suffering the same fate... It will have to come down :(
It's splitting in two right down the middle

Looks like you had your hands full with the remodel!

Yea, I hated that it had to come down. I liked the way it looked with a chimney on both sides of the house. It just wasn't practical for me to spend the kind of money it would take to build it back right. I've got an idea for "in floor" safety box that would fit in the remaining portion of the chimney. Maybe the creative minds of NC4X4 can help me figure it out :rockon:.

I expect the hands will be full for a few years. Still lots to do to finish second floor and bonus room. But it's nice to be able to just live in it and enjoy the first floor for now.

I do my killing before church....She had a nice trail wore out to our garden. My New England Youth model 20 gauge and 2 rounds of bird shot at close proximity :sniper:

KIMG0306.jpg

I thought I was done with floor demo but I bathroom floor was sub par....sooo....

IMG_2345.jpg

Out with the bad.....in with good (Jim Carrey Dumb and Dumber voice)

IMG_2356.jpg

I ended up reframing walls on both sides and bumped the wall out about a foot bigger than it originally was.

IMG_2431.jpg

This was originally the screened up porch area. Knock out a brick wall, reframed existing wall and had to redo some rafters and joist due to leaking roof.
Electrical service came in overhead and meter was attached to the wall on the right. As nice as this setup looked , I wanted to run underground and move the meter around the corner of the wall.

IMG_2426.jpg

IMG_2433.jpg

This was the last of the major demo/redo's. This addition was about 3 inches out of level with the brick as structural support.

0313151528.jpg

Replaced some band and 3 floor joist. I dug out for more footers to lay piers up against the brick and run some beams to help support the floor system.

I jacked and blocked it up temporarily and started cutting the brick out.

0314151218.jpg

0314151216.jpg

One side lowered. It wasn't attached to the house to begin with.

0314151217.jpg

Leveled out and more demo. I ended up reframing all exterior walls.

My wife was like, "Really?!?"

She always asked me what I did for the day. It usually involved an answer of "I tore something out." Too which she replied "Well start putting it back!"

0314151744.jpg

Fireplace, Tow rope and big ratchet strap to pull it back to the house.

0316151507.jpg

0316151509.jpg

Some cool siding. Stamped steel brick

0304151137.jpg

Found where a nail had hit electrical wire :eek:

0307151723.jpg

Got a few more. Built a set of steps up to the original attic. I hated to waste good space.

IMG_2958.jpg

Needed a little headroom at the top of the stairs so I wanted to build a dormer to match the one on the front of the house. They were calling for 50% chance of rain that day. I must of had nothing else to do that day so I grabbed the sawzall and went to town on it.

0325151301.jpg

IMG_2962.JPG

IMG_2967.jpg

Finished product.

IMG_3008.jpg

The original.

0324151612.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2957.jpg
    IMG_2957.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 259
Since we have owned the place, we have steadily worked to clean up all the overgrowth. My uncle was generous enough to bring his bulldozer and backhoe over and worked for a solid week cleaning up along the driveway.

Also had some guys cut down the stand of pines beside the house and a few other trees. They split the money from the logs with me, cut down some dangerous trees that would have cost me money to get someone else to cut, and they didn't bust up my out door hibachi!

0225151544.jpg

KIMG0278.jpg

yea.the rate of posts had me wondering if you worked a job or what then I went back to the first post and read these were taken over time. Outstanding job by the way.

Thanks @ord.sgt.26NC !

Here are a few random items I have found along the way:

Found this in the crawlspace. Anybody ever seen this brand before, made and bottled in Granite Falls, N.C.

0423150953.jpg

Creepy concrete bird yard art buried under a few inches of pine needles.

PART_1442622348832_KIMG0057.jpg

Simplex Railroad Jack buried amongst the trees

KIMG0246.jpg

I wonder how many times you have to open a and close a gate to wear through a chain?!

KIMG0297.jpg

Swaying in the wind constantly will wear a chain like that too. I've seen fire road chains that never get opened look like that if the chain is cheap quality and soft metal.

Dude, is that a toe jack, bottle jack, AND a jackstand all in one? That is awesome!

Back