1930's Farmhouse Rebuild - phase ll

Yea, it really wasn't too awful to start with as far as overall appearance on interior. If I was a single man I probably would have lived in it like it was :D. But no insulation, minimal wiring, janky old windows and nastiness not going to cut it with a family.

You need a sink for yours @rockcity?

Yea, it really wasn't too awful to start with as far as overall appearance on interior. If I was a single man I probably would have lived in it like it was :D. But no insulation, minimal wiring, janky old windows and nastiness not going to cut it with a family.

You need a sink for yours @rockcity?

I'd love to have that sink. But Marion is a little bit of a hike for me. I'm doing a farmhouse sink in this one but would love to find an old sink like yours and refurbish and modernize it.

Bout time you posted this up. This thread will not disappoint all the closet HGTV'ers on the board :D

Some serious skills to take this house where it was to where it is now...@MarsFab level of the carpentry world in my book.

My hats off to you! I've always wanted to buy an old home and refurbish it. Just never been brave enough. Like you said if I was a single man now I probably would, but there's no way the wife is gonna live in something without modern conveniences. Plus we have a 3 year old. I've been keeping my eye out for an "investment" though.... Good luck!

I'd love to have that sink. But Marion is a little bit of a hike for me. I'm doing a farmhouse sink in this one but would love to find an old sink like yours and refurbish and modernize it.

Load the buggy up for a trip to the Flats, house is just 2 miles down the road.

Bout time you posted this up. This thread will not disappoint all the closet HGTV'ers on the board :D

Some serious skills to take this house where it was to where it is now...@MarsFab level of the carpentry world in my book.

Not quite, that boy's good!

"A little putty, a little paint, makes a carpenter what he ain't"

Last edited:
I've been watching this. You got a beautiful home. Good luck on the restoration. I can't wait to see what ideas you have. I'm close to ya, just south of Marion off 226. We bought my wife's grandmother's house last year. It's been in the family since it was built in 1902. We are starting to restore it now. It's 2000 sqft 3 bedroom 2 bath. 20 acres with mountain views. It's got 12ft ceilings. All floors, walls, and ceiling are tongue and groove heart pine. I even got a pic from when it was being built. Please hollar if you need a hand.

uploadfromtaptalk1462411402356.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1462411420181.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1462411477974.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1462411720955.png

20160504_213759.jpg

Last edited:
That is a killer place @powerstrokin04 ! Looks it's in pretty good shape too. I love the style of yours a lot better than a 2 story, brick Foursquare, but it has started to grow on me since we have bought it.

I'm looking for a picture of this house in its prime....love to have one when it was being built.

Thanks for the offer to help! No big projects at the moment....taking a much needed break. I might go look at building a deck with my cousin down in Ellenboro for his wife's grandpa, I'd love to come check yours out.

That is a killer place @powerstrokin04 ! Looks it's in pretty good shape too.

Thanks for the offer to help! No big projects at the moment....taking a much needed break. I might go look at building a deck with my cousin down in Ellenboro for his wife's grandpa, I'd love to come check yours out.

Thanks. Yes it's in good shape. We have a list of repairs and upgrades that need to be done. Biggest is no a/c! I may not make it through the summer lol. Yes please stop by. Your more than welcome to. Just give me a shout.

guess it's time to set up a "Ghost Hunters 4x4" and start huntin haints with all these old homes.

I found this using the Google the other day in the NC State library Rare and Unique collection. It is a group of local farmers meeting with a forester on the A.F. Hunt property. I don't know what Mr. Hunt looked like but I think he might be larger gentleman with the Derby hat and long coat.

KIMG0289.jpg

Also found an article from the '40s that mentioned Mr. Hunts farm with the name "Spring Valley Farm", and this little sign in one of the old barns.

KIMG0295.jpg

I found this using the Google the other day in the NC State library Rare and Unique collection. It is a group of local farmers meeting with a forester on the A.F. Hunt property. I don't know what Mr. Hunt looked like but I think he might be larger gentleman with the Derby hat and long coat.

View attachment 217278

Also found an article from the '40s that mentioned Mr. Hunts farm with the name "Spring Valley Farm", and this little sign in one of the old barns.

View attachment 217279

Link to the website? I've been looking for historical info on my 1901 house...

Here are some pics of the upstairs whilst "Samantha" lets me borrow her internet, whoever she is :D.

4 Bedrooms and 1 Bath, snazzy green carpet, lovely window treatments and a monster window unit.

IMG_1507.jpg

Bedroom #1, located at top of stairs on the right.

IMG_1508.JPG

Bedroom #2, located top of stairs to the left.

IMG_1509.JPG

More of bedroom #2.....wasn't too sure of what I would find behind wall #1

IMG_1510.JPG

Bathroom located between #1 and #2..........

IMG_1511.JPG

Last edited:
Here are some pics of the upstairs whilst "Samantha" lets me borrow her internet, whoever she is :D.

4 Bedrooms and 1 Bath, snazzy green carpet, lovely window treatments and a monster window unit.

View attachment 217365

Bedroom #1, located at top of stairs on the right.

View attachment 217366

Bedroom #2, located top of stairs to the left.

View attachment 217367

More of bedroom #2.....wasn't too sure of what I would find behind wall #1

View attachment 217368

Bathroom located between #1 and #2..........

View attachment 217370

I like that tub!

Bedroom #3 down the hall on the right. Each room had a small closet. The two in bedroom #2 &#3 were cedar lined.

IMG_1512.JPG

Bedroom #4 at the end of the hall on the left.

IMG_1513.JPG

3'x3' Closet for bedroom #4, the rest was closet and attic access in bedroom #1.

IMG_1514.JPG

Looking back down the hall towards the bathroom.....I think that is about the last "before" picture I have.

IMG_1516.jpg

Last edited:
Easy to work on your house when your mornings start out like this!

KIMG0083.jpg

I initially had planned to just use our 12 ' trailer to haul off the demo scrap but it filled up quick and it didn't want tho have to unload it either, so I rented a dumpster and rigged up a chute.

1126141310.jpg

9 tons of plaster later she was full and house was empty.

Easy to work on your house when your mornings start out like this!

View attachment 217494

I initially had planned to just use our 12 ' trailer to haul off the demo scrap but it filled up quick and it didn't want tho have to unload it either, so I rented a dumpster and rigged up a chute.

View attachment 217496

9 tons of plaster later she was full and house was empty.

That is the best use of a plastic bedliner I have ever seen.

Its demo-day on tv......demo month in reality. Crowbars up!!

Plaster was applied over 2x4 sheets of sheetrock? strips. Baseboards and casing all nailed with 3" finish nails. I salvaged as much as I could and still maintained somewhat of a good pace. No insulation of course. They didn't care if they froze to death but the house wasn't going to fall down! This room was literally floating in the air (still no swag in the wall though!). The entire band was nothing but paper and floor joist hanging on just by the nails.

IMG_1988.jpg

IMG_1970.JPG

Water damage

IMG_1972.jpg

IMG_1973.JPG

Severely notched king studs.....

IMG_2012.JPG

Hmmm....actually worked for the small span

IMG_2015.jpg

IMG_2016.JPG

IMG_2018.JPG

IMG_2019.JPG