27:25 - NY to LA

Heard a few snipits from co-worker on this, sounds like a ton of money and effort was put into it.
IIRC
Aside from the car....
Average speed 104MPH
Top Speed 193MPH
had at least 18 "Scout" vehicles"
Used thermal imaging camera for "speed trap" detection
oh and my favorite....WAZE lol

I still believe it can be done in under 27hrs
It seems plausible, but really just comes down to environmental conditions. You'd almost need a Smokey and the Bandit style approach to get rid of cops. In the interview, they said they got stuck with a cop tailing them for over 20 min. Then you'd need perfect weather (like these guys had).

I was surprised at how much preparation and support it takes. I figured you'd need some scouting, but didn't expect 20 scout vehicles and thermal imaging.

Never mind the cost...

I still believe it can be done in under 27hrs

Kinda where my head is at. Used to make the trip back and forth to Racine, WI a couple times a year. It's 831 miles from doorstep to doorstep. My dad, brothers and I always go for the 'family record'. I held it for a few years with a 9hr42min one way trip, stopping once, was averaging 85. That was done in a stock MKZ without all the gear, radar detectors, lookouts, and other tricks/gadgets. My brother beat me last year with a 9hr13min trip in a Kia Soul. Sure there are a ton more variables in a trip 3.5 times longer, but I feel with the help, they should be averaging more than 13-18mph higher than the way some folks drive on their daily commute. If feel if I’m going for broke and have the resources at my disposal, that bitch is pegged for 2800 miles.

Last edited:
I've been intrigued by the cannonball stuff for years and really hope they bring back The 2904 (the LeMons of Cannonball) as it really is a good budget way to cut your teeth and figure out the nuances of cross country racing. Everyone seems to turn to $$$ but the last 3 record holders, Roy/Maher, Bolian/Black and now Toman/Tabutt all talk about an incredibly OCD planning on the logistics side.

The groundwork has been laid though:
Relatively unsuspecting car that is quick to accelerate from 80-150+
Aux fuel cell
Friends to help along the way
Luck...lots of luck.

I think the 27 hr barrier can be cracked, but it will take a lot of luck that all of the variables go correctly.

Aux fuel cell
Luck...lots of luck.

I think the 27 hr barrier can be cracked, but it will take a lot of luck that all of the variables go correctly.

They also admit to modifying the appearance of the car, therefore making it harder to determine make/model.

It's like the paint booth in GTA. :lol:

all talk about an incredibly OCD planning on the logistics side.

The groundwork has been laid though:
Aux fuel cell
Luck...lots of luck.

For another variable, do you ever see/hear them talk about fuel tables. I'd assume for a given car, there would be a speed/fuel consumption break even point.

They also admit to modifying the appearance of the car, therefore making it harder to determine make/model.

It's like the paint booth in GTA. :lol:

The fact that they compared it to a Honda accord in the video and got called "a silver passenger car" on the scanner was great.

For another variable, do you ever see/hear them talk about fuel tables. I'd assume for a given car, there would be a speed/fuel consumption break even point.

Its been a while since I read the book, but I do believe that was one of the things Alex Roy went down the rabbit hole on in his M5. Or maybe it was in his recent movie about it. I would assume others have too, but what I would be more interested in seeing is the comparison between Tabbut's push for more shorter stops than fewer longer stops in their strategy and how those fuel tables and calculations played into determining the needed aux fuel cell size. In theory, the break even shouldn't even matter if you have enough reserve in your fuel cell that you can just hold it wide open and it should only marginally affect the time spent filling the cell at your scheduled stops.

Kinda where my head is at. Used to make the trip back and forth to Racine, WI a couple times a year. It's 831 miles from doorstep to doorstep. My dad, brothers and I always go for the 'family record'. I held it for a few years with a 9hr42min one way trip, stopping once, was averaging 85. That was done in a stock MKZ without all the gear, radar detectors, lookouts, and other tricks/gadgets. My brother beat me last year with a 9hr13min trip in a Kia Soul. Sure there are a ton more variables in a trip 3.5 times longer, but I feel with the help, they should be averaging more than 13-18mph higher than the way some folks drive on their daily commute. If feel if I’m going for broke and have the resources at my disposal, that bitch is pegged for 2800 miles.

You realize that averaging means averaging right? It seems you haven't driven the highway recently, between truck tractors that can't pass each other for miles, construction everywhere and general traffic--Not even accounting for stops-- avging 105mph is absurd. A whole lot different than being able to drive 95 all the way from Gastonia to hickory.

You realize that averaging means averaging right? It seems you haven't driven the highway recently, between truck tractors that can't pass each other for miles, construction everywhere and general traffic--Not even accounting for stops-- avging 105mph is absurd. A whole lot different than being able to drive 95 all the way from Gastonia to hickory.

And the potential for catastrophe at 150mph plus on an open road has to be absolutely crazy.
grandmas doesnt see you and just eases over and...

I want to see what the cheapest car I can make the trip in is. Sort of the opposite..the can I buy a $x00 craigslist beater and it survive the trip. If not just leave it where is dies.

I've got a free weekend in June @Ron if you're game
hrmm...
Son wanted to do the HRPT again but the stops arent very exciting...and that just happens to be in the 2 week no contact period for him and school and you are allowed 4 drivers....

If its not done in a 2wd Cherokee decked out in full ECORS livery I will be thoroughly disappointed.
And I was cleaning out the basement and found some old ECORS stickers the other day....

Absolutely understood...just seems to me if this is what you're attempting and you have the resources you do at your disposal, 103 just sounds slow to me. Like I said, a 2800 mile round trip has a lot more variables, but when you're taking a 500-1000 mile road trip, 85-90mph really isn't that difficult to average. Edit...I'm also not saying I'd expect them to average 150mph either, just woulda thought the record was faster than 103.

Roy knew he needed to hold +90mph to set the record when he did it about 10 years ago. They had several attempts that got aborted in PA or OH because they weren't able to bank enough time early.

And I was cleaning out the basement and found some old ECORS stickers the other day....
Send me some.for the race XJ :)

I am pretty much always racing my own times everywhere I go. My car has a tripmeter that shows average speed, time, fuel economy for the trip, etc. I can average 60mph easy, stopping for pee breaks every 30 minutes. 65, not hard, 70, doable, 75 is getting difficult. 80 requires a lot of dedication. 85 is almost impossible over 50 miles. It just gets exponentially harder from there. Just to offset 30 minutes of fuel stops, you would have to AVERAGE 150mph for nearly 1.5hrs. To average 100mph cross country is completely absurd.

I am pretty much always racing my own times everywhere I go. My car has a tripmeter that shows average speed, time, fuel economy for the trip, etc. I can average 60mph easy, stopping for pee breaks every 30 minutes. 65, not hard, 70, doable, 75 is getting difficult. 80 requires a lot of dedication. 85 is almost impossible over 50 miles. It just gets exponentially harder from there. Just to offset 30 minutes of fuel stops, you would have to AVERAGE 150mph for nearly 1.5hrs. To average 100mph cross country is completely absurd.

Understood...admittedly, I’ve never paid much attention to the cannonball, and would have guessed 120ish mph would have been the average for the record. This is merely coming from personal driving experience in the 500-1000 mile range. Last trip to the grandparents in Florida was 648 miles, with no more thought than planning to avoid rush hour of major cities. 5 minutes from the driveway to I85...set cruise to 15 over, which means 85mph for a good chunk of the trip. Some 55 zones which still probably means 70-75, faster if flow of traffic allows it. Other times Fall in with a group doing faster, can usually knock out a cumulative hour of the trip doing 90-100. Around the 400mile mark stop for gas...change diapers/stretch legs/grab junk food...20 minutes later (quicker if the wife/kids are sleeping), hit the road again, set cruise to 85. After 8-8.5hrs, arrive at destination. Doesn’t always work out that way, but make that trip 3-4 times a year and can do it half the time. And just figured if a family of 4, heading to/returning from visiting grandparents can average 75-85mph over a sustained distance, someone trying to set a time record...albeit 4 times further...would be cruising more than 20-25ish mph faster than what I consider average travel with whatever research and resources they’re using. But do understand there’s a lot more risk for error over 2800 miles.

Last edited:
I guess I am getting old, but this seems really dumb and dangerous to everyone else.

Back