3D PRINTING

The battlefleet grows.

20220311_193621.jpg

20220310_062543.jpg

20220312_171116.jpg

20220312_171123.jpg

20220312_171126.jpg

Also got a free desk for a better workspace.

20220312_171203.jpg

How about a 3d Printed functional hand?

Seniors at the local science and math academy HS do a capstone project. The young lady I'm mentoring this year is making a hand with force feedback on the fingers to adapt grip strength to different objects... then control via EMG.

This is the hand structure she designed, I printed.
20220304_134105.jpg

The black is TPU so it's flexible, white is ABS. All one print with a dual nozzle machine. The stringy parts on the thumb are supports to be cut off.
Strings will run through the fingers to servos in the white "wrist" to pull them like tendons, bend at the thin joints.

I'll post more as it develops.

Thats one of the 3 printersi n my house right now fsfasfasdfafOne of my coworkers has one of these

After messing with it a little it really makes me want to pick one up to play with!
Thats one of the 3 printersi n my house right now :D . It technically belongs to a coworker who went on a year assignment to London, he left it w/ us so it has become my son's project printer (see my next post...). He immediately added a BL touch to it for auto-leveling.

If you want a bigger format printer, its ag reat deal for the money. A major drawback though is that you can't uset he USB port and the TFT screen at the same time, so if you want to use Octoprint or other printer servers it requires a lot of extra work.

My son bought a Creality Ender 3, which we've since blinged out with glass bed, metal feeds, BLTouch, upgraded proc/power supply...

Honestly, Fusion 360 kicked my arse, but stuck with it and made a decent "shade" for the SCT Livewire+ (can't see it well in bright sun and reflects off the windshield at night) after only the 3rd try! Mostly due to learning curve 🤫

Worked great until summer temps warped the PLA... have some nice ABS+ filament for a redo, but son took the Ender back to NC to get "dialed in" on ABS and a few beer money jobs...

View attachment 368486View attachment 368487View attachment 368488
Ah yes the Honda Civic of 3d printers.
We have one the robotics team members pass around for learning, it also spends a lot of time at our house.
The new V2 motherboard is so much nicer.

How about a 3d Printed functional hand?

Seniors at the local science and math academy HS do a capstone project. The young lady I'm mentoring this year is making a hand with force feedback on the fingers to adapt grip strength to different objects... then control via EMG.

This is the hand structure she designed, I printed.
View attachment 368748
The black is TPU so it's flexible, white is ABS. All one print with a dual nozzle machine. The stringy parts on the thumb are supports to be cut off.
Strings will run through the fingers to servos in the white "wrist" to pull them like tendons, bend at the thin joints.

I'll post more as it develops.
Ok, that's awesome.

My daughter (11) is into cosplay. Here's a sword she designed. She used TinkerCAD to make the hilt, printed in silver PLA+.
Blade is acrylic sanded to reflect light. Has a flashlight to light it up.
20220312_204817.jpg

20220312_204832.jpg

Last edited:
...and sometimes shit happens.
Jonas is making a 3 wheeled robot. This was a chassis he was printing today... 8 hours into a 20 hr print, the power went out for 3 seconds from the storm. Just enough to reset the printer. Auto restart failed. :mad: :kaioken:
20220312_181954.jpg

Instant reminder we need a UPS for this thing.

Last edited:
Quick little mod tonight.

20220312_224312.jpg

Oh cool is that a pivoting gimbal?
I've always loved designs printed with just-enigh built in gab so as to act like bearings and such.
It is. It's small, but pretty neat that it pivots like that.

Jo reprinted the new 3 wheeled robot platform.
Hopefully will be a rolling chassis very soon.
20220313_142132.jpg

Bought a sidewinder artillery x2 last week. Making random stuff off of thingiverse
I really love the meat temp scale!

FYI one thing to look out for on the Sidewinder is that if you do big prints, the bed temperature is not constant everywhere. If you look closely at the insulation underneath it, it is cut out around where the 4 knobs are.
We discovered this the hard way... it matters if you're using a temperature sensitive material.
Other than that and the USB control limitation, we love the printer.

Prints are getting cleaner. But still having some minor issues.

20220313_084124.jpg

20220315_185238.jpg

20220315_204837.jpg

20220315_215533.jpg

20220315_215619.jpg

Can anyone guess munchkins obsession? Couldn't be boats!

20220316_210111.jpg

Those have some pretty interesting overhangs, are you breaking off support?

Have you run some temperature towers and other tests to ferret out those extrusion problems? Changing flow rate helps sometimes as well.

Those have some pretty interesting overhangs, are you breaking off support?

Have you run some temperature towers and other tests to ferret out those extrusion problems? Changing flow rate helps sometimes as well.

Some have supports, some dont. The sub did have supports. I havent done a temperature tower. Ill have to look it up. Ive got new nozzles on the way as well.

Some have supports, some dont. The sub did have supports. I havent done a temperature tower. Ill have to look it up. Ive got new nozzles on the way as well.
Time spent dialing in the temp w/ towers etc is well worth it. Its surprising how different the actual ideal temp may be from what the mfr suggests.

You can change nozzle sizes too. A 0.2m nozzle will give insane detail, but you have to go very slow to avoid clogs and prints take waaaay longer. My primary home printer has a 0.6mm nozzle, which is great for big parts bc they print a lot faster, are more robust to imperfections, and are actually stronger.

Oh something else that helps with consistency is a $2 silicone cover for the heater block. It acts like an insulator for everything but the tip, making the temps more consistent

Time spent dialing in the temp w/ towers etc is well worth it. Its surprising how different the actual ideal temp may be from what the mfr suggests.

You can change nozzle sizes too. A 0.2m nozzle will give insane detail, but you have to go very slow to avoid clogs and prints take waaaay longer. My primary home printer has a 0.6mm nozzle, which is great for big parts bc they print a lot faster, are more robust to imperfections, and are actually stronger.

Oh something else that helps with consistency is a $2 silicone cover for the heater block. It acts like an insulator for everything but the tip, making the temps more consistent

Didnt even know about the towers. Ive just been winging it and seeing what works. If I can get the overhangs figured out I think Ill be pretty set. Until I try something new lol. Im running .4mm nozzle now. Got a link to that cover? the insulation on the hot end isnt in the best shape and I have had it drag before.

Didnt even know about the towers. Ive just been winging it and seeing what works. If I can get the overhangs figured out I think Ill be pretty set. Until I try something new lol. Im running .4mm nozzle now. Got a link to that cover? the insulation on the hot end isnt in the best shape and I have had it drag before.
Not sure if this is the model you have, just dig around on Amazon.
Amazon product ASIN B07T6L36G8
info on doing temp dowers.
Bascally you print bridges at different temperatures and compare their quality to find what's best.
Thingiverse has hundreds of different kinds of related printing tests.

Because I forget which way to turn the bed level knobs.
this is brilliant.
Even after 3 years with my Bibo2 I STILL find myself visualizing in my head what that screw and spring are doing... upside down... before turning it.
I just keep telling myself, look down... righty tighty lefty loosy.

Back