50-55" Smart TV

jeepinmatt

..l.
Stupid Samsung started having a shaky/duplicating picture tonight. Prefer another Samsung but cheap is good.
20210922_212210.jpg

Anybody got anything or a good hookup on a new one? The 50" is $480 and 55" is $500 at Bestbuy etc

Check Walmart. They are very competitive, especially this time of year. Time to bring in the Thanksgiving & Christmas sets.
If you could hold off 2 more months, pricing gets unreal! Btw, my last set, [Walmart] I added the 4 year extended warranty. Tired of just getting 2 years life, on a dumb set! :(

I added the 4 year extended warranty. Tired of just getting 2
Our 2008 Samsung is still going strong. And since this is probably a hardware issue, I may fix it, but it's just aggravating.

Last edited:
Costco will match any prrice. They add 1 year to the manufacturers warranty whatever it is. And they warranty is (read swap out no questions asked) in store no manufacturer return.

You do you, but for me Samsung is about bottom of the barrel for TVs.
Then again my Panny plasma in the living room is...I think 14 years old and still skrong as hell...and heavy.

I will say this. Ive got a few of the TCL cheapos in bedrooms and they are great for the money. But you will hate them watching any kind of motion motor sports.

They be junk now days IMO.
This.

The way I see it...buy cheap and replace without too much headache.

I know we walked right past several $3000 versions of the same size TV we bought for $499 and have had it for 3 years now (2 years it was hanging outside under the pergola) If it shits the bed tomorrow I got my moneys worth out of it

They price themselves with the top tier and have picture quality with the lmid tier making them a bottom tier value.

Here is the thing, display quality is evolving so fast that a cheap today display is equal to a top of the line 4 years ago display.

For the money of the Samsungs I can get an LG or Sony OLED that will put them to shame.
Samsung also impregantes them with a bunch of their software processing and operating system overlays that makes the native smart apps slower to respond.

A 6 (or 7) series TCL looks better than a Samsung at 2x the price point.

Also, this is one of the worst times of year to buy a TV. If you can wait until late Oct through Christmas or March/April, you'll get better pricing.

Then again my Panny plasma in the living room is...I think 14 years old and still skrong as hell...and heavy.
This is our struggle.

I see bigger TVs so cheap and think, maybe time to upgrade.
But the 54" Panny plasma we bought in 2010 looks just as great now as it did then. No motion blur, no stupid floating effects, no complicated menus or auto-updating BS, connects fine to the old Roku 3... there is just no need to replace it.
Only downside is that you can feel the heat walking past it. Great in the winter, I'm saving money! Not so much the rest of the time...

Costco will match any prrice. They add 1 year to the manufacturers warranty whatever it is. And they warranty is (read swap out no questions asked) in store no manufacturer return.

You do you, but for me Samsung is about bottom of the barrel for TVs.

I will say this. Ive got a few of the TCL cheapos in bedrooms and they are great for the money. But you will hate them watching any kind of motion motor sports.
Costco x2. I looked around at TV's when we bought ours back in February of this year. After doing research, I ended up with an LG because one thing I hated about our old TV was the blacks were more gray then anything. I read where LG seems to have a pretty good grasp on how to do blacks, which really make a difference when your watching TV, especially movies in widescreen. Costco actually had the exact TV I wanted at a lower price than anyone else. I ended up with a 4K OLED TV with 120hz native refresh rate and I absolutely love it.

I'm about three years in on a 55" TCL Roku TV from Costco. I think we paid $350 for it? No qualms on my end and up til a few months ago it was the only TV in our house.

Picture quality is meh. For what the good ones cost, you can have a Sony.
For the money of the Samsungs I can get an LG or Sony OLED that will put them to shame.
My parents have had 2 Sonys, and both have had major issues with drastically different sound levels amongst different HDMI inputs and devices, so I have sworn them off. I thought the first one was a fluke, so that's why I gave em a second chance. I'm talking on one input sound level 15 is almost deafening, and on another input, you have to turn it up to 40 or 50 just to hear it.

They price themselves with the top tier and have picture quality with the lmid tier making them a bottom tier value.

Here is the thing, display quality is evolving so fast that a cheap today display is equal to a top of the line 4 years ago display.

Samsung also impregantes them with a bunch of their software processing and operating system overlays that makes the native smart apps slower to respond.

A 6 (or 7) series TCL looks better than a Samsung at 2x the price point.
At the $400ish price point, I'm looking at bottom tier TV's anyway I assume, so if TCL/Pana/LG/Sony/etc are all within +/- fiddy bucks, does it make much difference?

Some useful advice - The Best TVs

Wirecutter is a bit thin on research, IMHO. They used to be good, but since getting bought out, the website is just a vehicle for affiliate commissions. Rtings also makes their money on commissions, but they back up their recommendations with research

Also, most people don't give a shit (or can't tell) whether their TV is any good. If you're one of those people, just go buy one and be happy.

My parents have had 2 Sonys, and both have had major issues with sound, so I have sworn them off.

Almost everything you watch was mastered on a Sony TV. They're consistently among the best PQ and calibration out of the box. LG OLEDs are also capable of great things, but they're a pain in the ass to calibrate. I've never had any problems with sound out of one, but I rarely use a TV for sound, anyway.

At the $400ish price point, I'm looking at bottom tier TV's anyway I assume, so if TCL/Pana/LG/Sony/etc are all within +/- fiddy bucks, does it make much difference?
Rtings says you should buy a HiSense instead of that 7000 series Samsung linked above. I have my eye on a 700 series Sony if they'll go on sale again, but I want an IPS panel for a picture frame. If you want to buy my old 65", I'll put the proceeds toward a new 85" LG C1 or Sony x95.

Knock on wood...but I can never seem to get a tv not named samsung to last more than 2 years...doesn't matter if it's LG, TCL, Vizio or Sony. The last tv I replaced was 4-5 years ago with a Samsung (65"), and the oldest Samsung (43") I have is pushing 9 years old. Value and quality, I won't necessarily argue with, but I'd sooner stretch $500-1000 over 5-10 years, than 2. All those tvs may die tonight, and I'll never get a samsung to last longer than a year, but to this point...samsungs have been the longest lasting tv's I've owned.

If you want to buy my old 65"
That's too big, but yes, I want to buy someone's used 50-55" smart TV, which is exactly why I posted this thread in the "Want To Buy" section ;)

I can never seem to get a tv not named samsung to last more than 2 years...doesn't matter if it's LG, TCL, Vizio or Sony
You need to come over to my house. I have some Sonys I'd love to replace with larger models, but they won't die.

That's too big,
You sound like my wife. 65" is the minimum size for a tv unless it's going in the laundry room or something. I'd put the 65 in the bedroom, but it blocks the closet door. It's just a bit too wide.

obviously aren't following the rules
Nobody else could follow the rules, so it was either delete most of the thread or move it to chit chat.

You need to come over to my house. I have some Sonys I'd love to replace with larger models, but they won't die.

Technically I suppose I should clarify my statement. I do still have a 20” crt Sony from high school…I keep it so I can still play original duck hunt.

So I was walking into Best Buy 10/11yrs ago to buy a 42 Samsung walked out with a 46 insignia (bb brand) spent less and still have the tv. The refresh rate is better than our 3/4yr old 65 vizio. Also if you do cc stuff that’s a bonus also with Bestbuy

I've had really good luck with the 55" Visio I bought at Walmart 6 years ago. Then again, TVs aee not something I nerd out on. My BIL won't even watch the news if it isn't in 4k ultra super amazing HD mocha chocolatafullofbullshit whatever resolution. I don't even like that crap, it looks weird to me.

So I was walking into Best Buy 10/11yrs ago to buy a 42 Samsung walked out with a 46 insignia (bb brand) spent less and still have the tv. The refresh rate is better than our 3/4yr old 65 vizio. Also if you do cc stuff that’s a bonus also with Bestbuy
I noticed that was the BestBuy house brand. The best computer I ever bought was a VPR Matrix which was also a Bestbuy house brand, so I've had at least 1 good experience with em, haha.

Back