50-55" Smart TV

I have a 55 vizio for 8 years. It's been good, but had a power supply issue recently. Pulled the board and re-soldered some pins and it's good as new. Really glad I looked into it.

Any 4k content looks about like 1080P anyways without glasses on
1632503299813.png

We had a conversation the other night about not wanting to watch Clarkson's Farm in the bedroom because it looked so much better in the living room.

View attachment 358021

We had a conversation the other night about not wanting to watch Clarkson's Farm in the bedroom because it looked so much better in the living room.
Man yall are really into some weird stuff. I don't know if I would talk about that kinda stuff in public :flipoff2:

Get on walmart.com and look for TVs that say available in store only then click on it to see price and availability. I bought a 75" Samsung 4k LED smart tv for $299 a couple months ago. They had one in stock and I had to ask for it because it was in the back.
This is my kinda stuff!

Get on walmart.com and look for TVs that say available in store only then click on it to see price and availability. I bought a 75" Samsung 4k LED smart tv for $299 a couple months ago. They had one in stock and I had to ask for it because it was in the back.
Hell I’d buy 2 at that price and I don’t even know shit about 4K or if it would even work out here

One thing I will add is this. just because you have a 4k TV doesn't mean you are going to actually view things in 4K. You will most likely need to update your HDMI cables to support the refresh rate to make sure your getting the most out of your TV. I ended up buying HDMI cables for an 8K TV, so that I knew I would be getting more than what I needed. I don't know of any channels that I get that broadcast in 4K, but a lot of youtube stuff is in 4k. I ended up buying a 4K player along with some of my favorite movies in 4K.

One thing I will add is this. just because you have a 4k TV doesn't mean you are going to actually view things in 4K. You will most likely need to update your HDMI cables to support the refresh rate to make sure your getting the most out of your TV. I ended up buying HDMI cables for an 8K TV, so that I knew I would be getting more than what I needed. I don't know of any channels that I get that broadcast in 4K, but a lot of youtube stuff is in 4k. I ended up buying a 4K player along with some of my favorite movies in 4K.

I thought at one point in time @shawn even mentioned that most television isn't even broadcast in 1080, so even that was a waste. Far from my area of expertise, but this topic seems to come up every 6 months, and we always seem to come to the same conclusions...all tvs are shit and replaceable these days, and it's a waste going more than 1080p.

I thought at one point in time @shawn even mentioned that most television isn't even broadcast in 1080, so even that was a waste. Far from my area of expertise, but this topic seems to come up every 6 months, and we always seem to come to the same conclusions...all tvs are shit and replaceable these days, and it's a waste going more than 1080p.
ESPN and ABC are 720p, everything else broadcast is 1080i. BluRay is 1080p, HD Bluray is 2160p (4k).

Nowadays we watch 99% of our content over streaming, where 4k is pretty common. At the very least, you need a 4k TV with a built-in streaming capability for 4k content (and the subscriptions for the 4k content you want to see). If you're using a separate streaming box (Roku, HD Blu Ray player, etc) and/or a receiver, they all need to be HDCP 2.2 compliant. That should be true of anything made in the last ~5 years that advertises itself as "4K ready". I bought a receiver in 2013 that said it allowed 4k pass-through, but wasn't actually HDCP 2.2 compliant (the standard wasn't finalized yet), so wouldn't pass a 4k signal. There isn't really any magic in the HDMI cables. I've had a few that were damaged or a bit shitty that wouldn't allow the HDCP handshake to happen, but it's rare. You should be able to get a 4k signal through any cheapish AmazonBasics/Blue Jean Cables/Monoprice $10 HDMI cable at <20ft lengths.

ESPN and ABC are 720p, everything else broadcast is 1080i. BluRay is 1080p, HD Bluray is 2160p (4k).

Nowadays we watch 99% of our content over streaming, where 4k is pretty common. At the very least, you need a 4k TV with a built-in streaming capability for 4k content (and the subscriptions for the 4k content you want to see). If you're using a separate streaming box (Roku, HD Blu Ray player, etc) and/or a receiver, they all need to be HDCP 2.2 compliant. That should be true of anything made in the last ~5 years that advertises itself as "4K ready". I bought a receiver in 2013 that said it allowed 4k pass-through, but wasn't actually HDCP 2.2 compliant (the standard wasn't finalized yet), so wouldn't pass a 4k signal. There isn't really any magic in the HDMI cables. I've had a few that were damaged or a bit shitty that wouldn't allow the HDCP handshake to happen, but it's rare. You should be able to get a 4k signal through any cheapish AmazonBasics/Blue Jean Cables/Monoprice $10 HDMI cable at <20ft lengths.

So to dumb it down to my level, if you're streaming, 4k is very doable. And having made the switch from Spectrum to streaming services over the last year or so, my next tv can/should be a 4k tv?

a waste going more than 1080p.
Also important to note that 2160 is an even multiple of 720 and 1080, so everything is displayed at native resolution (either doubled or tripled). A 1080p TV has to upconvert 720p content to 1080 in order to display it, and that can generate artifacts. 120Hz refresh rates are important for similar reasons - it's an even multiple of 24, 30, and 60, so any content can be displayed at its native frequency without doing 3:2 pulldown conversions.

Until you start watching things in 4K and then its incredible. I know most people probably don't get hyped up over how the content on their TV looks, but there is something about watching something in 4K to me and can always tell when something isn't or doesn't have that "Soap Opera" look to it.

Meanwhile I use mine with an old Windows 7 PC and a VGA video card to play MAME games at 240x320 ;-)
Those pixels are a lot bigger now than they were in the 80s

There isn't really any magic in the HDMI cables. I've had a few that were damaged or a bit shitty that wouldn't allow the HDCP handshake to happen, but it's rare. You should be able to get a 4k signal through any cheapish AmazonBasics/Blue Jean Cables/Monoprice $10 HDMI cable at <20ft lengths.
Just to follow up on this the standard for HDMI on the cable side is for a connection/pin type and transmission frequency. The actual data format and content going through it is irrelevant to the cable. As long as they didn't skimp and use ultra thin-gauged wires (that wouldn't meet the standard anyway) any cable should work.

Last edited:
Until you start watching things in 4K and then its incredible. I know most people probably don't get hyped up over how the content on their TV looks, but there is something about watching something in 4K to me and can always tell when something isn't or doesn't have that "Soap Opera" look to it.

I've never been one of those guys...outside of Tennessee/SEC football, cocoa melon and 80's-90's action movies for background noise, my tvs aren't used for much else.

That's something else entirely. The "soap opera effect" is caused by the TV itself. It's usually called "motion smoothing" or something like that, and should be turned off.
yep, it comes from interpolating the signal over time, trying to upconvert from the native film rate to something faster.
My visual acuity isn't great so I care less about ultra high resolution, but I'm really sensitive to timing changes, and it drives me crazy.

BTW, I am replacing a 55" Hitachi rear projection I have had for ~15 years that I bought on this board. It still works great but I can't even give it away.
I sold a 55" rear projection on this board years ago. Don't think it was to you though. It's probably still working also :laughing:

Somebody find me a deal on a 40” smart tv that can ideally also do Apple TV.

May just have to wait another month. Our bedroom tv died. Not looking for anything fancy just a cheap 1080p tv that is decent

I’ve got a TCL from Walmart that’s been the shit and I got it dirt cheap on sale. Highly recommend. My parents have a 60” I think going on 5 or 6 years now working flawlessly. I might have just jinxed it but still. Dad did some kind of mod that lets him have Snapple and everything for free-fiddy…

Back