50-55" Smart TV

I’ve got a TCL from Walmart that’s been the shit and I got it dirt cheap on sale. Highly recommend. My parents have a 60” I think going on 5 or 6 years now working flawlessly. I might have just jinxed it but still. Dad did some kind of mod that lets him have Snapple and everything for free-fiddy…
Got a 42 tcl in the mbr think it cost 229 at Walmart has been great for what it is

How do you guys find time to watch tv?
aint nobody got time for that GIF

Since I haven’t seen this one mentioned, I have a 75” Sceptre (supposedly 4K) in my living room that I bought from my sister for $100 because it was too big for their bedroom. It hums pretty loudly and the remote rattles, but the kids seem to like watching Octonauts and Fuller House on it. I don’t know what they cost new, but I wouldn’t recommend it just because of the electrical hum. It is easily overcome by turning up the sound bar a notch, but it’s louder than I think it should be.

I’ve also had good service out of LGs and Samsungs and wouldn’t hesitate to purchase either one.

Real TV's take 2 men and a mule to load in the back of your truck.
They take 14 square feet of aluminum foil to get a good licture.
When (and if) it breaks you can take to this local medicine man who can work magic with his box of glass bottles full of little wirey things.
They also have a record player and an 8-track built in.
Whats 1080?

ideally also do Apple TV
Random question: is Apple TV better on an Apple device?

Seems to me that the Apple TV service is kinda shitty on Android/Roku/etc... it crashes often and general usability/UI is much worse than any other service. I'm wondering if it's typical Apple where it works great on their hardware, but they give fuckall if it works on anything else.

As for your request: 40" is too small by today's standards, but I'd get the Sony X85 if I had to buy one right now. The Samsung might also be a good choice. If you wait about a month, you might be able to save $100 or so. That's effectively 20-25% off.

I'm still looking for a deal on an X80, but I have a different use case in mind.

I'm still looking for a deal on an X80, but I have a different use case in mind.
Did you check Bestbuy's open box options? Seems like I recall a really good price on an open-box excellent cond X80 50" or 55" in the past week or so.

Random question: is Apple TV better on an Apple device?

Seems to me that the Apple TV service is kinda shitty on Android/Roku/etc... it crashes often and general usability/UI is much worse than any other service. I'm wondering if it's typical Apple where it works great on their hardware, but they give fuckall if it works on anything else.

As for your request: 40" is too small by today's standards, but I'd get the Sony X85 if I had to buy one right now. The Samsung might also be a good choice. If you wait about a month, you might be able to save $100 or so. That's effectively 20-25% off.

No idea, I have free AppleTV for a while longer and I have used it about 5x in the past 6 months (but used it on the appletv itself and it works good).

40" is not small for our tiny bedroom imo. For the occasional netflix, etc it is really all we need. The 37" we are replacing it with was fine for us. I'm not going to spend 500+ on a TV that we use 2x a week. For our main tv I would defiantly spend the money but for this I don't see a big reason.

Did you check Bestbuy's open box options? Seems like I recall a really good price on an open-box excellent cond X80 50" or 55" in the past week or so.
I need a 43. There's a cheap one last I looked, but in Wilson.

40" is not small for our tiny bedroom imo. For the occasional netflix, etc it is really all we need. The 37" we are replacing it with was fine for us. I'm not going to spend 500+ on a TV that we use 2x a week. For our main tv I would defiantly spend the money but for this I don't see a big reason.
It's not $500 vs "free". You have the choice between paying $250-350 for a shitty one, or $400-500 for a reasonably good one.

Related but tangential - any of y'all use a "smaller" (e.g. not 55") TV as a monitor? Functionally, internally there's no difference anymore except a TV has all the stupid smart stuff you don't need. But sometimes they are just as cheap bc of the market push.
It used to be that you wouldn't bc it has bad refresh rate and at "only" 1080 everything is huge and blocky. But in 4k you get pretty decent small resolution.
Personally my vision is shitty and even the 32" sitting on my desk I don't like at native resolution because everything is too small to read.

Related but tangential - any of y'all use a "smaller" (e.g. not 55") TV as a monitor? Functionally, internally there's no difference anymore except a TV has all the stupid smart stuff you don't need. But sometimes they are just as cheap bc of the market push.
It used to be that you wouldn't bc it has bad refresh rate and at "only" 1080 everything is huge and blocky. But in 4k you get pretty decent small resolution.
Personally my vision is shitty and even the 32" sitting on my desk I don't like at native resolution because everything is too small to read.
It's more complicated than that. TVs are designed to show moving images at high quality, generally with narrow viewing angles. They can look shitty when displaying text (chroma subsampling issues) and when your location is likely to move greatly relative to the centerline of the display.

I am not sure we even own a smart tv....i know we had to buy adapters to hook anything modern to it. What are we really missing?
Before suggestions, note our old house has us sitting 10 feet from the picture with no options of changing.........and we have exactly 1 tv. none in any other areas.

Nah, you can watch TV if you want. All things in moderation, of course. You should always strive for the highest quality, best experience that you can. Don't buy shitty tools, don't eat crappy food, read boring books, etc.
thats a great ideal and all, but time and money have value, threfore activities and things have to be prioritized. For some of us TV and TV picture quality is not at the top of the priority list.

For some of us TV and TV picture quality is not at the top of the priority list.

Peasant...how can you flex superiority over others if you don't have the newest/best electronics?

Next thing you know you'll be like Drew and be happy being pleasantly ignorant of what 4k can do for you

Peasant...how can you flex superiority over others if you don't have the newest/best electronics?

Next thing you know you'll be like Drew and be happy being pleasantly ignorant of what 4k can do for you
this is not Pesos?

thats a great ideal and all, but time and money have value, threfore activities and things have to be prioritized. For some of us TV and TV picture quality is not at the top of the priority list.

That's not what I said at all.

Pshaw...it doesn't even jerk you off while cutting a fat line on a hookers ass. Get your peasant ass 43" costco buyin bish self outta here with that lack of tv watching experience.

By the way...I figure that to be a spot on @shawn inner monologue :flipoff2:
thats not what he said at all.

Back