6.0 Powerstroke vs 5.9 Cummins vs 6.7 Cummins

i bought a used 01 dodge 2500 back in 2011, has 141k on it when i bought it. first month had it fuel pump and injector pump went out. replaced with one them air dogg fuel pumps and factory injector pump. internet said the factory fuel pump was the demise to the whole system that the factory pump didnt supply the injector pump with enough pressure, who knows. Good thing the Air Dogg has a lifetime warranty cause it ate motors put 5 motors on the thing until i sold the truck last year. Yeah they were free but still the hassle of the truck being down. Other than normal maintenance brakes/oil changes/filters ect i put ball joints, new hubs on each side, one short side front axle (hub went out an eat the axle), the injector an fuel pump, water pump, A/C motor, an needed a dash. Sold last January for 12k and has 237k on it. Looking for another diesel to me im leaning to the 6.7 ford or the duramax

So it’s the 4 speed autos that the most issues and the 6 speed is better? Will the 6 speed bolt up to the 5.9 and will the computer run it plug-n-play?

Oops I had my years off. Yeah 03 and up.

@Jody Treadway why a manual over a auto?

Just based on your original post being 5.9 vs 6.7 vs 6.0 here's my take. By the way, @Paul is dead nuts correct about his truck. Duramax of that vintage are great trucks but you didn't include them. So here goes:

5.9 Common Rail Cummins are dead nuts reliable for 300,000 miles aside from normal wear items like water pumps. Notice I said Cummins, not Dodges. The auto trans in the 3rd Gen CTD trucks are notoriously problematic if the engine has been modded at all. They hold up OK in stock form at OEM power levels, but can quickly start to fail with power upgrades. To properly build one (or buy an already built one) you'll need to budget $3-4k easily. Now take that original $13k budget and subtract $3-4k from it and your realistic purchase budget for one will be around $10k. That won't buy what you're looking for.
The manual transmissions used were either an NV5600 or G56. Both of which are pretty darn solid and at worst, require a better clutch ($1k) for prolonged life.

6.7 equipped trucks priced even remotely near your budget will be the early versions which were problematic in regards to EGR and emissions components. I'd avoid one of them unless they've been deleted and well cared for.

I know 6.0 Fords have their fan base. I know some guys like @Ron and @rockcity have had success with them. But the ones we have had and my friends have had ALL have required the $4k 6.0 Use Tax. Unless the price was frikken right and there was $$$ left over to put aside for the likely repairs, I'd personally pass. I'm a Ford guy and I wouldn't own a 6.0 equipped truck myself.

If you want reliability in a diesel tow rig, your budget may have to increase a bit to be honest.

Have you considered a Ford V10 or 8.1 GM tow platform?

Are you looking for a truck with a $13k budget, or the best value for a reasonably priced truck? Because those are definitely not the same thing. I was in your shoes about 4 months ago. Sold my 08 F250 for good money. I was planning to buy an 05-07 6.0 Ford because the price was right on those. I was targeting $10k and willing to go up to $15k for the right truck. After a couple months of looking, and test driving a couple, I reevaluated my priorities and ended up with a 2011 F250 with the 6.7. I would have liked a 2010+ Cummins, but the prices were completely stupid. Cheapest one I could find at the time with comparable options was $28k with 250k miles. I got the Ford for $22.5k with 160k miles.

I've owned 2 04 Duramaxes and really liked them, and had great luck with a 08 6.4 F250. In 2007 I test drove many new 5.9 and 6.7 Cummins trucks and nearly bought one, before deciding that I didn't need to be that financially burdened. For the past 2 years, I've been meticulously studying the 2010 and newer Cummins Rams. I really would like to have one, but the used prices don't make sense, and I don't have new truck kinda money. I also like the Dodge interior better than the Ford, but the Ford holds up better. I honestly don't like Ford because of their terribly misleading advertising practices and the way they overrate everything they've ever built, but they really do build a good truck.

@jeepinmatt what trim level did you find the 6.7 PSD for that price?

My budget is $20k or less, but would consider springing $25k for the right truck. I love the 11’ up Powerstrokes but in my price range, I only see base mode work trucks in that setup. I have patiently waited so long for a truck I would prefer some creature comforts like steering wheel controls and center console. Sounds silly I know, but I’ve waited a long time and don’t want to settle if I can help it.
At the end of the day though, a truck is a truck and I could deal with a rubber floor and fake leather seats with intentions to add things over time.

I liked my few 6.0 fords. Never had significant issues with them. And I abused them, borderline neglect. I'd own another if it was stock like the ones I had were. I don't trust the 6.0 once performance adders are installed or unknown mechanics install unknown head gaskets and studs. I'd rather find a stock one and, if there are issues, fix it by a reputable mechanic with quality parts that you know and trust.

I liked my few 6.0 fords. Never had significant issues with them. And I abused them, borderline neglect. I'd own another if it was stock like the ones I had were. I don't trust the 6.0 once performance adders are installed or unknown mechanics install unknown head gaskets and studs. I'd rather find a stock one and, if there are issues, fix it by a reputable mechanic with quality parts that you know and trust.

You even had that one 6.0 that was a 6-cylinder. I didn't know they made such a thing.

If you want reliability in a diesel tow rig, your budget may have to increase a bit to be honest.

Have you considered a Ford V10 or 8.1 GM tow platform?

No I havent to be honest. High possibility moving to AK in a year'ish and i think i would prefer to have diesel over gas.

There is plenty of budget for a trans rebuild or a 68RFE swap. By budget my goal was to acquire for the exact profit from the vehicle being sold. Something reliable that I hopefully wouldnt need to do anything major to for a few years yet (50k to 100k miles?). And hopefully the right choice reducing just how "major" is major lol. For the perfect one I wouldnt hesitate to toss on a few more k of bones. I dont want to unless i have too.

The only people I hear complain about how shitty Dodge interiors are and how shitty Dodge trucks are, are the guys that have only ever owned Fords. How the fuck they'd know what the maintenance costs are, I don't know.

Interiors arguments I don’t understand. If you’re comparing a KR/Platinum/Lariat to a tradesman...sure, but you’re also talking about a truck that stickered for double originally. Otherwise comparing the XL/XLT’s...I haven’t noticed a difference, actually think the seats are more comfortable in the 3500.

Maintenance...time will tell I suppose, but short of catastrophic failure (Dodge trans does give me a little heart burn)...looks like it’s 6 to one, half dozen to the other to me.

Most people that have 6.0's bulletproofed that have issues again either didn't delete the EGR, didn't do a coolant filter, or didn't get the heads checked when they did them.

Do all 3, its a great truck. I know a lot of people even without studs on theirs and they are great

I'm not a fan boy, I would love a dodge or a duramax, but when I was looking even with the price of having to stud one, I would come up several thousand dollars cheaper to buy the ford.

No I havent to be honest. High possibility moving to AK in a year'ish and i think i would prefer to have diesel over gas.

There is plenty of budget for a trans rebuild or a 68RFE swap. By budget my goal was to acquire for the exact profit from the vehicle being sold. Something reliable that I hopefully wouldnt need to do anything major to for a few years yet (50k to 100k miles?). And hopefully the right choice reducing just how "major" is major lol. For the perfect one I wouldnt hesitate to toss on a few more k of bones. I dont want to unless i have too.

You can get an "8" gasser tow rig for the cost of a "5" diesel rig.

@jeepinmatt what trim level did you find the 6.7 PSD for that price?

My budget is $20k or less, but would consider springing $25k for the right truck. I love the 11’ up Powerstrokes but in my price range, I only see base mode work trucks in that setup. I have patiently waited so long for a truck I would prefer some creature comforts like steering wheel controls and center console. Sounds silly I know, but I’ve waited a long time and don’t want to settle if I can help it.
At the end of the day though, a truck is a truck and I could deal with a rubber floor and fake leather seats with intentions to add things over time.

Look around, you can find the trucks for decent price...

I'll sell you my '11 6.7 power stroke for $20k. Crew cab, lariat, diesel, long bed, B&W hide a ball gooseneck hitch, 4x4, def/dpf delete... I drive it daily.

Interior comfort is the same as exterior looks. Depends on what you like. I don't like the ford sd seats but my BIL loves them. Just preference.

I'll sell you my '11 6.7 power stroke for $20k. Crew cab, lariat, diesel, long bed, B&W hide a ball gooseneck hitch, 4x4, def/dpf delete... I drive it daily.

Only has 340k miles, just changed the oil for the first time last week!

It is a fucking truck, not a Ferrari.
But you could turn yours into one for less than a grand and half a days work:flipoff2:

Horsepower is cool and fun. 12-1300ft lbs of torque is fucking awesome. Especially when coupled with twin turbos and 600+hp. I understand people that haven’t had that ride not understanding.

I had an 03 bone stock 6.0. It was a crew cab lariat 4wd. The only issue I had was a water pump going out and slinging crap everywhere under the hood. It broke some of the fan shroud, and chipped a few things. When it went it detonated. Other than frequent oil and fuel filter changes I never had to touch it. It was very reliable. I averaged about 30-40 thousand miles a year at the time as well (was dating my wife out of state at the time). Put a reliable 100ish on it before I traded it when fuel went through the roof. Lost my ass since nobody wanted a diesel at the time let alone an 03 6.0. Surprisingly it was sold before I ever finished the paperwork for my new truck.

If you still have it in March/April I’d be glad to talk to you about. I def want a CCLB truck.
Look around, you can find the trucks for decent price...

Is it a Brush or Rescue Truck, or just something you guys use to haul equipment? I don't think I'd accept "running it until it was a catastrophic failure" for an emergency vehicle!

It's a pickup we use to run errands and haul trailers. It sees emergency traffic maybe a half dozen times a year.

Mine started drinking coolant....turned out the thermostat housing was cracked. Had EVERY sign of a blown head gasket....wouldn't leak until under a heavy load...then it would spray the car behind me.

Not sure what diagnostic procedures were used to determine it was a head gasket, just relaying what we were told.

Duane

if i was moving to Ak i would look for a gas truck. if you plan to dd it during winter you will have to leave it plugged up or in a garage, diesel fuel is to much of a liability for my liking when exposed to sub freezing weather for weeks on end.

if i was moving to Ak i would look for a gas truck. if you plan to dd it during winter you will have to leave it plugged up or in a garage, diesel fuel is to much of a liability for my liking when exposed to sub freezing weather for weeks on end.

All vehicles have to get plugged in up there. All major businesses, hotels, and homes all have plugins. Lived there for a few years.

That aside. A diesel not better in a cold environment with grill blockers??? Up there about every third truck is a diesel. Until about 07 diesel was cheaper than gas.

Back