6.0 Powerstroke vs 5.9 Cummins vs 6.7 Cummins

I cant make any headway on any diesel choices, which must be a sign. And who am i kidding, ill tow max 2 to 4 times a year. It will be more often just used for wood or parts/tire hauling. Trying to decide between ram or GM 2500 gasser. Anyone got any mechanical input? Thanks

(Edit: Maybe ill find a LB7 for the price of a gasser lmao)

If you want a solid front axle tow rig, you're stuck with a Ford or Dodge. V10 Super Duty trucks are cheap compared to diesel ones. I used to tow with one and it did great. With your budget, you could find a low mile truck in great condition. A Hemi powered Ram would do the job. However, in talking with some buddies at the local CJD dealer, later Hemis are having frequent camshaft and cylinder head issues.
My wife drives a later model F150 with the 5.0. We use it from time to time to drag our camper around. Plenty of power and brakes for towing. Again, they would fit your budget well.
It's hard to beat the GM truck platform for comfort and ride in a tow rig. A 6.0 powered 2500 would get the job done well. Back in the early 2000s I had a Chevy 2500 with a 6.0 that I used to tow a 3/4 ton YJ all over the place with.
I think you'd be very happy with a properly equipped late model 1/2 ton _______ truck for as infrequent as you'll tow. Going with a 1/2 ton will save you money that will allow you to purchase a newer truck.

If you want a solid front axle tow rig, you're stuck with a Ford or Dodge. V10 Super Duty trucks are cheap compared to diesel ones. I used to tow with one and it did great. With your budget, you could find a low mile truck in great condition. A Hemi powered Ram would do the job. However, in talking with some buddies at the local CJD dealer, later Hemis are having frequent camshaft and cylinder head issues.
My wife drives a later model F150 with the 5.0. We use it from time to time to drag our camper around. Plenty of power and brakes for towing. Again, they would fit your budget well.
It's hard to beat the GM truck platform for comfort and ride in a tow rig. A 6.0 powered 2500 would get the job done well. Back in the early 2000s I had a Chevy 2500 with a 6.0 that I used to tow a 3/4 ton YJ all over the place with.
I think you'd be very happy with a properly equipped late model 1/2 ton _______ truck for as infrequent as you'll tow. Going with a 1/2 ton will save you money that will allow you to purchase a newer truck.

A half ton?! Didn’t think brake sizes could handle pulling the Jeep even if the frame/hitch could. Wow ok cool. Yeah a lot more 1500 series trucks out there that are newer and cheaper. Thanks for the tip.

Been looking mainly at the 6.0 2500s because of how cheap and simple they are to fix.

What would be a “properly equipped” 1500 series truck?

A half ton?! Didn’t think brake sizes could handle pulling the Jeep even if the frame/hitch could. Wow ok cool. Yeah a lot more 1500 series trucks out there that are newer and cheaper. Thanks for the tip.

Been looking mainly at the 6.0 2500s because of how cheap and simple they are to fix.

Half ton trucks have had huge brakes for 20 years. Take a look at the rotors and pads that they put on a 1 ton truck back in the 90s and compare that to what came on a 2005 F150. Most of the half tons are rated to tow 8000-10k#.

What would be a “properly equipped” 1500 series truck?

Look for factory trailer tow setup and a higher GVWR than other models. That'll be a dead giveaway.
Lisa's regular ol' 2014 XLT F150 with a trailer tow group has a 10,500# tow rating IIRC. That's hard to beat.

I'm not a Ford guy, but the 5.0 trucks are pretty sweet. My uncle ditched a 2003 F250 with a 6.0 and got a 2011 F150 and says it hauls his big HydraSport as good or better. He's got over 200k on it already too.

Most of the reason you see 18s and 20s come stock on trucks now is because the brakes are so much bigger and now with 6+ speed automatic transmissions and factory trailer brake controllers, you see a lot more 1/2 tons towing than you used to.

Last edited:
Sat down with Mrs Moneybags and we crunched hard facts. Going with the LS platform. Don’t know what years or if 2500 or 1500, but will be looking for plush interior so it’s Woman Approved.

Are all the newer Ford 5.0s the same? My dad has a 2011 F150 with 5.0 and I've driven it many times, and never thought "man this is a good truck engine". Maybe I'm too used to diesels, but I feel like the 5.0 has to be spun to at least 4k rpms before it starts making any power. His previous 02 F150 with 5.4 seemed to have much more bottom and mid range. His 5.0 does get 16-17mpg around town and better on the highway. But the GM 6.0 and 6.2s that I've driven had much more power across the spectrum, especially on the bottom end.

Are all the newer Ford 5.0s the same? My dad has a 2011 F150 with 5.0 and I've driven it many times, and never thought "man this is a good truck engine". Maybe I'm too used to diesels, but I feel like the 5.0 has to be spun to at least 4k rpms before it starts making any power. His previous 02 F150 with 5.4 seemed to have much more bottom and mid range.

Everything I have read about the 2011+ 5.0 says you gotta turn that thing up and let it sing. Makes most of its power close to 5k. People seem to praise them over on some ford and F150 forums. I considered a 1/2 ton for a while. I still haven't ruled it out completely.

Our camper weights about 5k loaded with our crap for the weekend. Using that as a barometer, the 5.0 does fine for what it is. My Cummins will obviously out pull it, but it does a good job.

Shoot, I used to tow my Mustang all over the southeast behind a ZJ with a 5.2, so my opinion may be jaded.

Well...it's a 5.0. It's barely over 300 cubic inches!

@ckruzer I'd probably go for a 2500 just so you can avoid a direct injection engine and the issues that come up with those. I'm not positive, but you may also avoid the cylinder shutdown by going with a 2500. Those are two things I wouldn't want.

Here is my take on it. I know I have bent Jody's ear a few times on the price of new trucks (sorry Jody).

I towed with a 97 F-350 single cab 460 5 speed for years Tellico, Harlan, Windrock, all over the place. I couldn't keep up with the diesel guys, but I was fine with that. Last year I bought a 2011 crew cab Silverado 1500 5.3 and I couldn't be happier. By the seat of the pants I think it would run all over my F-350, it pulls better, stops better and overall handles better. I would guess if you looked up the numbers the 5.3 probably makes about the same power the 460 did but at a higher RPM (I have not confirmed that statement), but I think the 6 speed auto makes all the difference in the world. The only thing I don't care for with the 1500 is how much it squats with my trailer and rig behind it (planning on adding some helpers to correct that).

I have wrestled for years with the debate of going to a diesel over a gas truck, but in my case I never could justify it. I only tow 5 or 6 times a year with the heaviest load being a tractor. The MPG savings with a diesel is nice, but by the time I factored in the initial extra upfront cost of a diesel, oil changes, and the expense of parts if something major let go, it never made sense for me. You could put a short block in most gas trucks for the same money that I hear guys talk about spending on a diesel to bullet proof it. If you planned on towing on a regular basis then I think a diesel makes sense, it is amazing how much power a modern diesel is capable of.

Long story short I don't regret the change to a half ton. They have come a long ways with what a truck is capable of in the last 10-15 years. I do feel that the 6 speed auto vs the 4 speed makes a big difference too.

Are all the newer Ford 5.0s the same? My dad has a 2011 F150 with 5.0 and I've driven it many times, and never thought "man this is a good truck engine". Maybe I'm too used to diesels, but I feel like the 5.0 has to be spun to at least 4k rpms before it starts making any power. His previous 02 F150 with 5.4 seemed to have much more bottom and mid range. His 5.0 does get 16-17mpg around town and better on the highway. But the GM 6.0 and 6.2s that I've driven had much more power across the spectrum, especially on the bottom end.

You’re 100% right (same for the eco boost too). Strictly looking at the power numbers, sounds impressive. If you look at the power curve, not very truck friendly for truck activities. I said it with the original 5.0/302 and I stand by it with the current 5.0, they have no business in a full size truck.

You’re 100% right (same for the eco boost too). Strictly looking at the power numbers, sounds impressive. If you look at the power curve, not very truck friendly for truck activities. I said it with the original 5.0/302 and I stand by it with the current 5.0, they have no business in a full size truck.
I'll disagree slightly about the Ecoboost. Father in law has a 3.5 and the torque is much better than the 5.0. But if you actually use any if that torque, MPG is worse in the Ecoboost.

With the GM 6.0 2011and up( I think) are 6 spd, and dedinetly do better all aorund than the 4spd

They've been using 6 speed autos in the 2500 gas trucks since they changed the body style in 2007.5 and went to the L92 6.0.

But do most people who own a 5.0 F150 really use it as a truck? Or is it a car with a bed on it to them? The ones that do use them as trucks probably don't tow often enough for it to really matter that much to them. That's probably the reason why they don't offer them as the gas motor in an F250.

But do most people who own a 5.0 F150 really use it as a truck? Or is it a car with a bed on it to them? The ones that do use them as trucks probably don't tow often enough for it to really matter that much to them. That's probably the reason why they don't offer them as the gas motor in an F250.

Agreed...was just sticking with the topic of where the power is. The wife has been eyeballing a new 150 for her next DD...she probably wouldn’t break 3k rpm anyway.

Come to think of it...my 99 Silverado half ton was a WT package. Reg cab, long bed, 5 speed, Z85 towing package, high GVW 1/2 ton....but it had a 4.8 :D

They've been using 6 speed autos in the 2500 gas trucks since they changed the body style in 2007.5 and went to the L92 6.0.

couldnt a 6L just be easily swapped in?

regarding the DOD and DI, those are only on 2015 and up? im currently looking in the 2006 or 2007 trim levels (era). I would like to get the 5.3 over the 6.0 for fuel economy, and because swapping in a JY 5.3 is stupid cheap compared to a 6.0 in the event of catastrophic failure. I can get better mpg and more power like a 6.0 with cam and intake upgrades. However, im not sure if the 6L can be swapped over the 4L without computer modifications.

Depending on the real world info, may be stuck with a 6.0 2500. Def wont be going above a 2012 model. The only thing the woman cares about is if the interior is immaculate and if it has or is possible to swap in heated leather seats.

regarding the DOD and DI, those are only on 2015 and up? im currently looking in the 2006 or 2007 trim levels (era). I would like to get the 5.3 over the 6.0 for fuel economy, and because swapping in a JY 5.3 is stupid cheap compared to a 6.0 in the event of catastrophic failure. I can get better mpg and more power like a 6.0 with cam and intake upgrades. However, im not sure if the 6L can be swapped over the 4L without computer modifications.

Depending on the real world info, may be stuck with a 6.0 2500. Def wont be going above a 2012 model. The only thing the woman cares about is if the interior is immaculate and if it has or is possible to swap in heated leather seats.

Keep it simple Francis. This is a tow rig you're talking about.
Buy it the way you want it and keep it easy.

I’ll eco what jody said, don’t start doing a lot of modifications to the motor of a gas tow rig. Maybe a chip intake and exhaust

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whatchumeam WAS?!?!? you said you never sell trucks!!

It's the one in my sig...it's got a 6.0 in it now and a solid axle.

Regarding DOD and DI, they've been using DOD since 2008 or so on the 1500s and direct injection came in around 2014. You can't swap a 6L in to anything very easily as far as I know...there's so damn many electronics on them, it's insane.

Back