6.0 Powerstroke vs 5.9 Cummins vs 6.7 Cummins

True that. I've had damn good luck with my LB7 Duramax. I put injectors in it at 225,000 miles, but it had 218,000 on it when I bought it. If I had owned it since new, it would have been taken care of muuuch better than it was.

View attachment 259735 View attachment 259734 View attachment 259733

CL link for more pictures:
2004.5 Chevrolet 2500HD 4X4 LLY Duramax

2004.5 Chevrolet 2500HD 4X4 LLY Duramax with 153,xxx miles.

$17,500 OBRO

Has Magna Flow exhaust, and nicktane Caterpillar 2 micron fuel filter adapter, otherwise it's completely stock.

Clean title in hand.

I have receipts for everything listed below:

03/2017 147k
New bosch cp3 injection pump, bosch injectors, fuel return lines, glow plugs, waterpump, upper and lower thermostat, mahle head gaskets and arp studs.

Head gaskets were not blown, I wanted to replace them as preventive maintenance. Heads were checked, cleaned and new valve seals installed.

10/2017 152k
Rare Parts - Tie rods, pitman arm and idler arm.

Kryptonite upper control arms and ball joints.

Mevotech lower control arms and ball joints.

Call ONLY, 980 Seven22 0nine33 NO text!!

@ckruzer here ya go
42efc345584fad35481fe6216fd476b1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@ckruzer here ya go
42efc345584fad35481fe6216fd476b1.jpg

Elderly owned is where it is at! Thanks man! On the way to pick up the wife’s new velvet lined carriage now. But then a AK trip and then sell the car. Then purchase time.

Last edited:
Here is a question that deserves to be asked but hasn’t (by me lol)

Why diesel over gas? Why gas over diesel? Pro cons list? Gunna go DuckDuckGo but figured y’all might have better insight than the keyboard warriors.

(Not a “needs” discussion. Everything here is about wants lol. FYI)

Oh and I’m very grateful for all y’all input. Truly appreciated.

Last edited:

Why diesel over gas? Why gas over diesel? Pro cons list? Gunna go ducksuckgo but figured y’all might have better insight than the keyboard warriors.

Diesel:
Pros:
- Better mpg
- Engines typically last longer than gas towing heavy loads
- Higher tow rating/more power

Cons:
- Higher initial purchase price
- Higher fuel cost (offset by higher mpg)
- Higher oil change cost (negligible in my mind when you are talking about expensive ass diesel trucks, but I am sure someone will mention it if I don't)
- More expensive to replace the motor if it does take a dump

From everything I have read on the internet, the general consensus seems to be that if you are towing a standard single car trailer with a typical 3,500-4,500 pound trail rig, then you don't NEED a diesel. A typical modern 3/4 or 1 ton truck with big gas engine will be sufficient. If you are towing a larger/heavier trail rig and trailer combo, or two rigs on a big trailer, then you truly need a diesel.

Diesel:
Pros:
- Better mpg

Cons:
- Higher oil change cost (negligible in my mind when you are talking about expensive ass diesel trucks, but I am sure someone will mention it if I don't)

From everything I have read on the internet, the general consensus seems to be that if you are towing a standard single car trailer with a typical 3,500-4,500 pound trail rig, then you don't NEED a diesel. A typical modern 3/4 or 1 ton truck with big gas engine will be sufficient. If you are towing a larger/heavier trail rig and trailer combo, or two rigs on a big trailer, then you truly need a diesel.
Most diesel repair cost are double compared to a gas!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Something else that hasn't been mentioned,an underpowered gas engine will work an automatic trans to death(literally) when towing.For me personally I don't want gas in anything in I'm using to pull with.Ill absorb the operating cost to have the reliability/power.

If you get a Ford, then you definitely have to keep the oil changed. That's just how it is...it would hurt my feelings to have to change 4 gallons of oil every 3,000 to 5,000 miles though.

The Duramax engines are very easy on oil and I'm at about 10k right now on Amsoil 15w-40 and one of their filters. My plan is to change it soon and send in for oil analysis and see what that tells me. I didn't want to just jump right in and shoot for 25k, but if science says I can, then I probably will. I do plan on a remote oil filter and bypass setup too.

I'd guess a Cummins is fairly easy on oil as well. I run dino oil in mine though, but still run it for a while.

Oh, and if you do get a Ford...I'd try to stay 05 and newer unless you like 15 point turns :D

Shit I change the oil in my Cummins every 5,000 I don't see why everyone is trying to make oil the blood of your engine last 10,000 to 15,000 miles the way I look at it is about 60$ to change my oil vs who knows how much for a new motor

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Why diesel over gas? Why gas over diesel? Pro cons list? Gunna go DuckDuckGo but figured y’all might have better insight than the keyboard warriors.

Diesel:
Pros:
- Better mpg

Cons:

I tow heavy, daily, with my f450 v-10/5 speed gas truck. My definition of heavy is 25-30k gross. It's not easy to compare f450/manual to f250+/auto, especially as a dd. More below...

That said, I've owned/heavy towed every variant of big 3 manufacturers 3500 diesel (from 99-2008) except the latest 6.7 Cummins and ford. From buying brand new to buying 200k mile used units.

Duramax-

Bad;
Bought 2 new 08's LMM ; srw and drw 3500 4wd crew.
Drw engine shit the bed at 140k, $8k later with a used block, $550+ per new injector, $800 cp3.
Both trucks started spitting out $200 parts after 200k miles, from electrical to mechanical.
Also owned a used '06 lbz. No issues iirc

(All) Suspension is sub par for towing, as well as brakes. Comfort level is high, cab noise is comfortable, ride is great. I thought the Allison was king for towing... until I bought a ford with the 5r110.

Chevy is by far the most expensive to repair per event with higher mileage, albeit fewer events. But that's how Chevrolet rolls.

Dodge: used 2000 new 2005 both drw 4wd, both manual trans, ext cab and crew, 5 and 6 speed respectively.

Between the two, 5 transmissions in a 2 year span. I don't drive retarded, just heavy. No motor issues iirc. Chassis, brakes, and suspension are sub par towing heavy.

I would only buy another dodge to have the engine (5.9 mechanical up to 03.5-05 crd) to swap into a different chassis, period. Sorry just not a fan of the truck in general.

Ford; new and used, all cab configurations, srw and drw; 2-7.3's, 2-6.0's, 1-08 6.4, 1-v10 gas; In short; I've gone to ford simply for economics and safety (brakes, suspension, and chassis on the f450) ; parts are much cheaper and easier to find, especially in relation to Cummins and anything Chevrolet.

7.3- weak and noisy by today's standard, cheap enough to work on but too dated for my taste.

6.0 05 f550- we all know they're short comings, but parts are cheap enough and the repair formulas are pretty standard now. Basically only had to buy injectors, $200 each.

6.4 f450 love and hate. Power and towing performance is unmatched in my experience pool. Pain in the ass when they go down, skipping the details for the time being. 5r110 trans is my favorite towing.

V-10 2000 2 valve manual f450; honestly it surprised me. I didn't have high hopes for it. But, in comparison to all the above diesels, it holds its own quite well. But you don't drive it like a diesel, no lugging. It likes rpms. Spin it to 4000, it works. Doesn't pull hills like a diesel, but in my maturing years, that doesn't bother me like it would have in my twenties. May not work as well for auto, no experience there. Parts are cheap, and gas engines are easier to diagnose and cheaper to repair and maintain. Easily drives loaded on 9 cylinders, been there done that.

Bought this truck with 170k, salvage title, 2wd, for $4500. Motor let go at 200k. Swapped in a 100k motor myself in a weekend for $1500.... last diesel motor to go down cost me over $6500 and down for 2 months.... time is money. This has been the cheapest work truck for me to own and operate (2years now) in my 12 years of being in business.

The v10 should be highly considered in a light duty truck comparison. Especially in cost of ownership and purchase price. Btw, all f350 v10 came with a block heater I believe....[emoji6].

Again, I choose the Fords of the f450 variant for brakes suspension, chassis, spacious cabs , and parts availability and price, new and used. They are so many Fords in salvage yards, because they are the best selling work truck (and didn't change much since 1999), I can find anything I need in my customer base as a recycler. No 3500/2500 truck of any make has a great suspension for heavier towing, and no one's brakes rival Ford's all the way back to 1999.

My next work truck build, (after I repair and sell my 6.4 f450) will list like this...

-05 and up f450 crew 4wd chassis.
-Square body Chevrolet 3+3 cab, my own custom interior.
- my own flat bed
- one of 3 motors... 5.9 p-pump mechanical Cummins, 03.5-05 Cummins common rail- both hooked to a 5r110 or 4l80, or Chevy 6.0 ls Allison/ 6l80e

Truthfully I'm leaning towards gas. I love driving a diesel truck but I'm really about done with them. This v10 has made me a believer in gas towing again. Cheaper at the pump and overall cheaper in ownership. Especially if there happens to be catastrophic engine failure.

To each his own...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Hold my beer. :lol:

Ha...well...I forgot about you! There's one in every bunch :D

Shit I change the oil in my Cummins every 5,000 I don't see why everyone is trying to make oil the blood of your engine last 10,000 to 15,000 miles the way I look at it is about 60$ to change my oil vs who knows how much for a new motor

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

That's why I'm going to send it for analysis. The additives in it are what wears out...so if they're still good, why not get your money's worth? If I can go a year and drop 90 bucks to change my oil once, why wouldn't I do that? Especially if it's still perfectly good oil.

It'd sorta be like changing tires with 1/4" of tread left on them.

I figure with the advancements in synthetic oil technology, oil filter medias, and oil analysis, I should be fine.

@mcutler If you did a GM gas motor, why not an 8.1/Allison? I've never had the opportunity to ride/drive one, but I hear they're torque monsters.

@mcutler If you did a GM gas motor, why not an 8.1/Allison? I've never had the opportunity to ride/drive one, but I hear they're torque monsters.
I have and would still consider it. It's just hard to beat the ls platform. I have heard of oiling issues with the 8.1.

But frankly my ls2 6.0 has more horsepower and a close torque rating to my current v10 and the 8.1, and the v10 pulls petty damn good.

9b9020bf042e7dcd504202fa353c3e86.jpg
71c0a4317d46855001ed787125d9c9a4.jpg
f4dcdf13813a8dc88f463b72c6a7aacc.jpg

I tow heavy, daily, with my f450 v-10/5 speed gas truck. My definition of heavy is 25-30k gross. It's not easy to compare f450/manual to f250+/auto, especially as a dd.

Ever considered a 4400? I bet your TCO would be less, maintenance interval should definitely be better. Could get one with a Cummins for sure, probably with the choice of 7 spd Eaton (hate) or Allison.

Ever considered a 4400? I bet your TCO would be less, maintenance interval should definitely be better. Could get one with a Cummins for sure, probably with the choice of 7 spd Eaton (hate) or Allison.
I have. But my business is not like many others. I work alone, sometimes travel into some rough terrain tight yards, travel alone, and drive the trucks for personal use. I don't cross state lines for business much anymore, and I pay cash for every expense. I could basically pull into any garage and get a small gas engine repaired at a reasonable rate (away from home) , versus having to pay the higher rate of a diesel shop, at possibly an odd hour of the day or weekend... and having a higher out of pocket expense.

If I found one for the right price, condition and configuration I would still consider it, I've never ruled it out. But I get more overall useability out of a light duty truck.

All I ever tow is my rig on a 16ft trailer, I am more than happy with the power ,comfort, brakes etc on my gm 6.0. As has been said, if all you do is pull around a car trailer with a Jeep a diesel is far from nessecary.

I am not the one to be worried about being the fastest up the mountain, I love reliability and ease of maintnance.

Cost of ownership!! I bought my 2016 4dr 4wd 2500hd with 20,000 miles for 30 grand. Cloth seats, manual shift 4wd, touch screen with bluetooth. I wanted a nice newer truck without paying 65,000 dollars.

Having a deisel truck when you dont really need one is not worth it.

The only issues I've heard about with 8.1 oiling is just that they have a consumption rate...usually about a quart between oil changes.

This is a legit question. Wouldn't the larger bore and stroke be better for longevity even though the LS2 makes close to the same power? Also, at 11:1, the LS2 would need 93 octane pump gas instead of some cheap old 87, wouldn't it? Not to mention the RPM power range difference between the two...but surely you'd opt for an L92 6.0 for a tow rig instead of an LS2.

I bought my 01 cc dually w 142k on it for $6200.5 years and 150k later all I have done is up pipes,css and vc gaskets and uvch’s and two batteries.Less than a grand in repairs in five years.

The only issues I've heard about with 8.1 oiling is just that they have a consumption rate...usually about a quart between oil changes.

This is a legit question. Wouldn't the larger bore and stroke be better for longevity even though the LS2 makes close to the same power? Also, at 11:1, the LS2 would need 93 octane pump gas instead of some cheap old 87, wouldn't it? Not to mention the RPM power range difference between the two...but surely you'd opt for an L92 6.0 for a tow rig instead of an LS2.

Oh yeah, they've all got a consumption rates, lol. Seems iirc something more along lines of starvation, not consumption.

Yes, I would use an iron block 6.0 or 6.2. Either way, the cost evaluation of gas over diesel per catastrophic event is my biggest concern. I can get junkyard ls motors for a third or less the cost of diesel repair, likely do it myself in a weekend versus weeks of downtime for the diesel (as long as I'm physically able).

The newer gm 6.0 with 6L90 will smoke the 8.1. Only seat of the pants difference are the super big hills. The 8.1 has slightly more pulling power in the 3000-3500 range. The 6.0 kills it from 3500-5000.

The 8.1 does have a little better compression braking on downhills, but to me is negligible when comparing all factors.

Unloaded the 6.0/6L90 I get 17mpg hwy.

Unloaded the 8.1 gets 11ish on a good day.

Loaded the newer 6.0 averaged 9.5 mpg towing 7k to Harlan and back.

The 8.1 averaged 7.5 on the same trip.

Towing a 3500lbs trailer the 8.1 gets 9, the newer 6.0 gets 12.5.

Around town the 6.0 gets 14, the 8.1 gets 9.

I was in love with the 8.1 after driving and towing older 6.0/4L80, and 454.

Towed once with the newer 6.0/6L90 and it’s a night and day difference that’s drastically noticeable. Keep the 6.0 above 3500 and let it eat.

Mileage does fall off in the hills, but does the same with the 8.1. The mpg benefit is noticeable not towing or towing a smaller load.

Just my experience with gm gassers. I would think the 8.1 would be better with Allison over the 4L80, but to me would be a waste of time over the newer 6.0 or 6.2 etc.

I’d rather have a 454 4l80 over the 8.1 as you don’t have all the torque management crap.

Back