'64 International Scout 80 Build

On the rear wheel lugs I took measurements and looked through the Dorman catalog and didn't find a 1/2-20 stud that would fit. so I ordered 4 sets of 5 lugs from Jegs. They were 1/2-20 3" long Moroso studs.
The Moroso studs are .618 so I was going to drill out the holes with a 39/64 drill. The problem was the knurl on the originals started 1/2inch from the end and the very base was 5/8's. The Moroso's only had 1/2" of knurl starting at the end. They dropped in and spun with way too much slop. I couldn't even have welded them straight they were so loose.
I took the hub/drum and a stud to NAPA and we went back to the Dorman book and found a 9/16-18 stud that would work.
The rusty one was the original in the hub. The clean one in the new 9/16's.

alh6.googleusercontent.com__1by7z_HetZc_UM0YEsbSYxI_AAAAAAAAAWM__ssNLzGM0BI_s140_DSC_0369.jpg
alh3.googleusercontent.com__6TVhP06_tU8_UM0YHfJ42vI_AAAAAAAAAWU_BPmlRjlo9aM_s140_DSC_0373.jpg

I still had to drill out the ends of the holes in the hub 39/64 to let the longer stud go through without cracking the hub.
alh4.googleusercontent.com__QAgufY2Nqu4_UM0YDI2GRFI_AAAAAAAAAWE_4njAkQxujqs_s140_DSC_0368.jpg

Last edited:
hello! this is the Stephen that was mentioned haha. I've done some of the welding on Kendal's scout. This is my first time ever doing anything with a lifted vehicle.. i've worked on cars adn minitrucks mostly.. i'm used to turbo'd cars and i've helped build airbagged isuzus and nissan lowriders. Im so excited to be able to work on this though! this is the exact kind of work that i'd like to get into. I have total confidence in my welds, but if you guys that have done this before see anything that should be re-done or reinforced or anything, let me know!

I replaced the front and rear seals and fixed the "KDP" issue. I went to put my new clutch in and it didn't fit. I think I got a GM 11" and I need a Ford 11".

alh4.googleusercontent.com___biJ3ZW_dQ8_UM0YL1D3QLI_AAAAAAAAAWs_NxTYPpzk__s_s140_DSC_0392.jpg

Last edited:
I really wanted to use it but, the 2 middle cylinders were rusted, the injection pump was waxed up, it came with an Automatic tranny and it didn't have the turbo. 4 strikes so I traded it for an Axel.

Got my Clutch today from T-Hoff in Raleigh. Its an 07-022, the 07-027 was listed on 4BT Swaps but the holes didn't line up. It's still a Ford clutch but the thowout Bearing is a little different. I hung around the machine shop a while and watched them put a new sleeve in a porche cylinder, seat some valves and machine some heads. The valve seat machine is cool! It uses cutter heads and does the compond seat in one shot.

Got the suspension done and tested the travel. I didn't push it and got the front wheel 32" off the ground.
alh4.googleusercontent.com__NorSMyYbNUg_UM0YPaqdfYI_AAAAAAAAAW0_4VKVsqwv8xo_s140_DSC_0397.jpg

Last edited:
These are the Ballistic Fabrication joints.
alh5.googleusercontent.com__7UEBQO9LQAM_UM0YRTuKGZI_AAAAAAAAAW8_hE2XeLJuh1c_s140_DSC_0399.jpg

Last edited:
My best friend Steve came over with his wrecker and we put the body on. I only need to cut the body to fit the Clutch slave and drive line brake. Both are minor so I can finally start packing everything in!
alh4.googleusercontent.com__iRdVmDIDlRQ_UZ152p3YIOI_AAAAAAAAAcw_Heei1BMC_6c_s140_DSC_0405.jpg

Last edited:
I have been consumed with little detail crap like steering, brakes, clutch, fuel pedal... I ended up using a HydroBoost off an Astro Van but I haven't found a master cylinder I like yet. My Air brake compressor is in the way of the steeing shaft and I upgraded to power steering box to one off an old Ford and it is suprisingly similar to the Scout 80 manual box. I had a ScoutII collapsable, tilt steering column but the shaft was bent. I took it apart and straightened the shaft but I blew the little bearings apart putting back together. The damn bearing kit costs $75 dollars! It is just a Chevy column but it is 38" long. I am thinking about getting an Ididit column but those are $350++. I got the DOM tubing, inserts and Rod Ends for my Panhard and Steering but I haven't had time to make them yet. My clutch master and slave out of the bread van were shot so I ordered up what I thought was the same thing but the slave was a 1/4" bigger in diameter so I had to fabricate a bracket for it. I aslo had to modify the stock firewall bracket for the clutch master and the hydroboost unit. I bought an aftermarket pedal for the fuel. It's the only thing I have done lately that actually worked as planned!

I finally got my front Dana 44 guts fully installed this weekend. It's a Chevy housing with Ford outers. I had to use the chevy long side axel because the fords was about 1" too short. I wouldn't want to replace those U joints on the trail, my 12 ton press bairly broke the U-jpoint loose.

I got the shocks mounted. I ordered the older F250 shock mounts and bolted them on to a 2.5" C channel I welded to the frame. My driveshafts will be in next week. So all I have left is the Air Dryer and Air tanks. I bought two 9"x53" 15 gal Freightliner tanks off ebay but they are huge. I am hoping to mount them outboard of the frame. The Air Dryer is a Bendix AD-IS. I made a braket that holds it, the Primary fuel filter and the fuel pump. Just need some 1/2" and 3/4" DOT airline and I will be able to hook up the Air Starter and test it.

I went to LKQ and picked up a '78 Cadillac Seville Steering column. I used the top end to rebuild the Scout II column that I had with the bad bearings. The Caddy is tilt and telescopic! The next step is to install the column and plumb the Hydroboost/Steering gear.

Here is a video of the travel, I didn't go to the limits because I don't have the Limit Straps welded in yet.

http://rides.webshots.com/video/3049284480014026355dOccox

The bags are off a kneeling bus and I have an airbrake compressor mounted to the AUX port of the Cummins, a Bendix AD-IS air dryer and a 15 gallon air tank.

alh6.googleusercontent.com__hdTZR8R8_cI_UM0XonD0VlI_AAAAAAAAAT0_LrvfVl4_mOY_w587_h742_no_Air_Bag.jpg

Last edited:
It seems that Webshots was taken over by Smile and I lost all of my links to photos. I had been with Webshots for at least 10 years, this really sucks!

Finally got the Scout back from paint and Rhino Lining. I made the bumper.
20130613_180638.jpeg DSC_1027.jpg DSC_1040.jpg DSC_1039.jpg

Can I tell from the ESN if the Cummins was made in Rocky Mount, NC.

Back