88 XJ..." The Abomination"

John Fuller

XJ Fanatic!!
Banned
so i started the 88 xj build now that i sold my other.
88 Cherokee 4.0 AW4 231 HPD30 Disco & Turdyfive (for now lol) motor is great, just finished rebuilding from the head up along with 500 worth of sensors and other engine/drivetrain parts for reliability (i think computer and ignition module only old parts left lol). started out on my "new to me" long arm setup and here it goes... 2014 JK Upper and Lower Arms will be used with some angle iron to lenghten lowers and round DOM to lengthen uppers. will be making the arms tomorrow but what i got so far...
0303120300.jpg
0311113247.jpg
0328123709.jpg
0328125801.jpg
0328131657.jpg
0328125724.jpg

question to the pros on fab work: do those brackets need to be tied together/boxed in or will this hold up for strength in the long run being welded on all sides. i still have a lot to learn on how fabrication works ans stuff but i'm learning little by little...

got driveshaft and exhaust grooves made and set in place...i'm fairly happy with it
0328110756.jpg

i'm pretty sure many will wonder why i didn't make a new crossmember for tranny out of it....i'm working my way to that type of design next...gotta take one step at a time lol I'm only woking with saw saw and grinder so that would take quite a bit more cutting and stuff but will get there.

picked up my "Axle Breakers" today LOL...35x14.50x15 Super Swamper Thornbirds which me like many are not fond of them BUT this is the new and improved Thornbird..
0329181500.jpg
0329183904.jpg
0329183922.jpg

I'm pretty sure the Turdyfive is quivering to death right now LMAO!! good thing i have several spares sittin in the yard

That looks interesting. While I would have done a more directional theme, you may be into something there! :huggy:

anyone ever do the cable setup for the Disco on D30...i bought a heavy duty stainless steel cable from tractor supply and i have a pretty good idea but just wondering if any drawbacks to look out for or be cautious with.

That looks interesting. While I would have done a more directional theme, you may be into something there! :huggy:
i did a set like this on 38.5s thornbirds long time ago and it did wonders for traction...lucky for me it was on my 85 bronco that could handle the aggresive cuts...good thing i like to crawl through/over stuff cause these tires would not make one trip on these jeep axles lol

the interesting part (and I MEAN INTERESTING!!) will be seeing how 14.50wide mounts on my stock 7"rims LOL. i've done it on 15x8 but never on stock wheels. 12.50 is wide as i've gone on stock wheels and i like it that way for deflating without worry of breaking beads but this will be interesting tomorrow when i go mount them up. tire shop gonna hate me :D

Its possible. I've seen 39.5x18 boggers mounted on 8 wides before. o_O

Its possible. I've seen 39.5x18 boggers mounted on 8 wides before. o_O
HOLY GAZZUKERS BATMAN!! well this gives me hope that they will fit then. sweet, i can sleep better now knowing they will fit and work well with my 2" hubcentric spacers that are on the way. i always figure 112 for set of hubcentric spacers is cheaper than aftermarket rims so i've always done it that way..except for that fancy shmancy ASU jeep i had..hoity toity rims on that sucker lol

dang right...tire groover was the coolest thing someone showed me long time ago..since then i haven't found one tire that i can't beef up lol. can't wait to someday purchase the Van Alstein big boy Groover.

I've done the disco with a lawn mower throttle cable. You'll have to remove the housing and take the diaphragm apart. If your using an open diff just lock the disco and don't mess with the cable.

well i'm gonna weld the carrier so i got the cable for easier disengagement when need to make sharp turns

got tires mounted up today...pain in the arss!!! they look REDICULOUS!!!! LOL i like em though. with 2" spacers and stock 7"wheel, barely and i mean barely clear the leafs in the back...actually had to take 1/4off some of those real big long lugs on the back but now good. Got rear 35 welded, got the front 30 welded and tested it out today on this hill to see how true 4wd really works with good tires...i was happy..made it up that far without hardly giving it gas with tires at 7psi...didn't want to tear up my bank lol otherwise i would've gone all the way. also got new paint on it..the ruff stuff:rockon:
88xj ramp flex front 2.jpg
88xj hill test new tires.jpg
88xj paint job.jpg
88xj ramp flex stuff.jpg
88xj rear ramp flex.jpg

i was going to not show these but why not...sunday i totally screwed up my measurements on my long arms and uppers. ended up having to recut them twice then the third time got it right which then figured might as well stretch the front forward 2" which i like anyways in case i ever go up in lift my long arms will be perfect length for another 2" of lift but they look like ASS :poop: straight butcrack!!! they are def strong enough with all that 1/4" angle iron boxed in around the original JK arms but was hoping and looking forward to my long arms not looking all jacked up for a change, lol. oh well. so here it is. (boy i'm probably gonna regret posting this picture:()
88xj LCAs.jpg

finished dual electric fans right before dark and ready to hit trails saturday. still gotta figure out some cable setup for the Disco or vacuum switch in the cab to control the stock one. it works good now, redone all the vacuum lines and engages/disengages perfect but need ability to disengage in 4lo so i can turn....she doesn't turn to well with all 4 locked and power steering seems to be my next upgrade to consider. Any ideas on affordable upgrades for power steering/gearbox/hydro assist but affordable hydro assist?

That upper link tied to the top of the diff does not look very beefy. My buddy ripped his aftermarket link mount off and it caused all kinds of damage. Might want to rethink that design...

we aren't trying to be mean, well Stretch might be haha, we are just trying to keep you from dying!

Back