88 XJ..." The Abomination"

amedia_cache_ec0.pinimg.com_736x_21_f3_32_21f332f658ef30eb5b63df08abdb4680.jpg
is this how you mean to bend the arms and joints...this would be ideal for my setup and should work perfect if i can get it done

is this what he needs it to look like? Sorry I am a toyota guy! Lol
looks like it could work..so now the real question..if i'm using the JK arm ends/bushings is there a way to weld to them without ruining the bushing or am i just SOL and need to start investing in heim joints for custom arms?

I'd bend them inward for tire clearance as opposed to upward which gives them ground clearance.
that's the plan for my setup...so are the Iron Rock arms in the picture a good example to follow for the bend and such

You seem to have a custom application. Don't copy someone else's and try to make it work.
Do your own arms made to suit your own needs.

ten for..i'm sure i will come up with something interesting as always. well off to the drawing board and thinking booth. thank you for your help and time.

so my friend wanted his jeep painted camo over the weekend and after his turned out pretty good...couldn't help to do mine with what little leftover paint i had...his looks great, mine is weird...but i like it. flashy for sure lol don't pick at the Bunny Ears...my little girl likes them!!
dans jeep camo front.jpg
88xj camo paint.jpg

can anyone confirm if the Dodge Durango Steering Gearbox is worth a upgrade since i'm locked front and is it worth the swap. i read lots of mixed information about it being bolt on and not and mixed info about it being worth it or not...anyone ever done it or just leave it alone until i can afford Hydro Assist? thanks for any input

can anyone confirm if the Dodge Durango Steering Gearbox is worth a upgrade since i'm locked front and is it worth the swap. i read lots of mixed information about it being bolt on and not and mixed info about it being worth it or not...anyone ever done it or just leave it alone until i can afford Hydro Assist? thanks for any input
Durango box is OK. I've known many a rigs with them. YJ box is a good bet too. In foresight you can use a YJ box for now, to drill and tap later. It seems to have a good compatible ratio with hydro assist. Don't sweat being able to afford hydro assist. Less than $200 if you know how to shop.
I can shoot you part numbers for all the hydraulic parts you would need to get it nearly identical to what's on my TJ buggy. Steers 42s with welded front like no tomorrow.

Last edited:
I can shoot you part numbers for all the hydraulic parts you would need to get it nearly identical to what's on my TJ buggy. Steers 42s with welded front like no tomorrow.
this would be great. thank you very much. got my second set of JK arms today...i'm hoping I won't screw these up too lol.

hey at least i've improved from combining 2 stock sets lengthened to make one into using at least some strong angle iron LMAO...hope to have my new ones done tomorrow unless i get busy

Do us all a favor and go to tripplet and coffey and buy some some real tubing. Stop butchering factory JK arms and angle iron.

better yet buy the tubing from them, cut it to length yourself, tack it together how you like it and they will probably weld it together for you for less than $30

HA HA HAHA...ohhh now i know who you are cause i know where i was today with the jeep and how this picture got on here LOL i don't blame you, they are pretty embarrasing to look at and quite a trophy to show others!!

You haven't even the slightest idea. Technology is cool though. I do commend you for knowing where you were in your own Jeep. That part is pretty badass. And no, they are not a trophy to show others...they are scrap metal. Don't church that shit up.

Last edited:
Do us all a favor and go to tripplet and coffey and buy some some real tubing. Stop butchering factory JK arms and angle iron.

better yet buy the tubing from them, cut it to length yourself, tack it together how you like it and they will probably weld it together for you for less than $30
yeah i know i know...this is only first set i've ruined..(think my ADD was acting up real hard lol). i actually was dealing with some crap that weekend and thought i would try to work off frustrations but didn't turn out too well. everyone has a bad day here and now and that was mine. trust me i'm mad as hell cause i'm the one that ruined $40 set of arms!!

And no, they are not a trophy to show others...they are scrap metal. Don't church that shit up.
he he he...you obviously totally missed the joke bud, that's ok.

funny thing is, it rode like a charm yesterday. got it up to about 53/55 and rode smooth as i could expect with these arm style. front end seems to be more solid with the upper arm not having a bushing on body end to hold the front pinion angle at a more set angle.

so got my new arms made today and i decided to keep the original 4 link setup which does ride smoother and now i can turn full lock...WOOHOO!!mission accomplished. also decided to mount a power steering cooler with extra trans cooler laying around and modified the piston on the P/S pump which surprisingly both things made noticeable difference in turning the 35s and much easier so at least for now its better steering while saving up for the hydro.
new upper jk arms.jpg
upper arm welds.jpg
new lower arms jk.jpg

the lowers are only one cut, lol, and angle iron to "box in" the 2 halves where cut...at least i got my full lock steering back and they don't look so trashy lol. probably could've made them prettier but ahh, looks is overrated.

hey anyone got any advise on tire carrier on these 88xj with the "fiberglass" hatch? i got a spare 35 today and would like to make a carrier for it on the back but being fiberglass, would that hold up the weight of a 35" tire...i know i could put it on top but i like the back end idea because it protects the back hatch/glass a little more. any ideas would be great. thanks

for real or joking

someday, God willing, this would be my dream exterior for my jeep
my dream xj exterior.jpg

and for those who might have run rear tire carrier...how annoying does it get, if at all, not being able to see out of the back window..cause i just really gave that some thought

Back