93 XJ build

Last crossmember done. Got to cut out the rest of the transmission tunnel to help with general access to the transfer case and to make room for shifters. Looking like I’ll have to start looking for suspension seats sooner rather than later :D

590BC31C-D108-4487-933F-88A177B5FA4D.jpeg

0CE3A6FB-7C11-4A41-BBA9-F44ED4608B90.jpeg

DAF516DD-6416-4500-84E5-EED6F01A5E46.jpeg

3B86B4FD-0251-4781-93D0-3AB7305DF1EF.jpeg

Shifter discussion time. Thinking of doing custom shifters for the two cases. I would drop coin on the JB fab cable shifters if there is room to loop the cables back around but this looks too tight for that.

The center console will be made removable to help when it comes time to drop either case. The top bolts on the 205 and eco box are sort of a bitch to access underneath. I am also going to incorporate the parking brake lever in there too. Sheet metal isn’t my strongest skill but at this point it’s function over looks.

FC7DD7F4-A413-4CDA-B0FA-473FCC09CA7C.jpeg
312513D2-64D7-436E-B60D-1BDC2FCCC8BC.jpeg

Shifter discussion time. Thinking of doing custom shifters for the two cases. I would drop coin on the JB fab cable shifters if there is room to loop the cables back around but this looks too tight for that.
If you're looking for ideas, you could utilize the transfer case shifter mount off the side of the AX15 (I think that is what you have) to create a pivot point for simple solid linkage shifters.

I would build a simple custom console, bring the shifters straight up from the case and just use one cable shifter for the reduction box.

Seat probably sitting on top of the TCase though.

I'd say you're fine to use these bosses for what you want to do. Not like shifters are going to tear this apart.

The center console will be made removable to help when it comes time to drop either case. The top bolts on the 205 and eco box are sort of a bitch to access underneath. I am also going to incorporate the parking brake lever in there too. Sheet metal isn’t my strongest skill but at this point it’s function over looks.

View attachment 363062View attachment 363063
Having been there done that.... I bought a twin stick kit that had a grease-able bolt that bolted to a bracket I made. Bracket bolts to the AW4. I can shoot some pictures if you want. I did a google search and could not find the shifters I used. My guess is they aren't available any more. I did build it in 2007. Of what I found I'd look at this and modify it to work with mine. OMIX-ADA 18674.01 OMIX-ADA Twin Stick Transfer Case Shifters | Summit Racing

If you're looking for ideas, you could utilize the transfer case shifter mount off the side of the AX15 (I think that is what you have) to create a pivot point for simple solid linkage shifters.
I think that will be the plan. Put in a really thick piece of steel to try and keep any bending around the fasteners at bay.

I would build a simple custom console, bring the shifters straight up from the case and just use one cable shifter for the reduction box.
The plan right now is to do all three shifters in a row. I can snake in the cable shifter for the eco box I think. I have the shifters and cables from when I did the dana 300 tcase.

Seat probably sitting on top of the TCase though.

I'd say you're fine to use these bosses for what you want to do. Not like shifters are going to tear this apart.
Seat frame is literally touching the driver's side vertical face of the np 205. I will be addressing that...later :)

Having been there done that.... I bought a twin stick kit that had a grease-able bolt that bolted to a bracket I made. Bracket bolts to the AW4. I can shoot some pictures if you want. I did a google search and could not find the shifters I used. My guess is they aren't available any more. I did build it in 2007. Of what I found I'd look at this and modify it to work with mine. OMIX-ADA 18674.01 OMIX-ADA Twin Stick Transfer Case Shifters | Summit Racing
It looks like I will be making some from scratch. Just picked up some 3/4 inch solid round bar for levers and some tube with 3/4 inch ID for pivoting. I'll find some bronze bushings tomorrow so lubrication isn't a concern for the pivot points. 3/4 inch ID will also slide over the np205 shifter rails 🤌

C1F5AE02-14EF-4F3A-B047-6FC0A9720D28.jpeg

Maiden Voyage

The XJ took its first offroad trip since steering mods and larger tires. I ventured out to the Cove for a ride with the Big Dogs. I got a good feel for some item that need to be addressed after a weekend on the trails.

View attachment 218243

View attachment 218244

GF had to get one poser shot in :flipoff2:
View attachment 218245

My trac bar and my trac bar brace have been making contact. I am not sure I want to ditch the trac bar brace so I may have to add a puck to the bump stop mounts up front. I may just need a new trac bar made. This will have to be custom since I do not have a tubing bender.

Rear wheel wells need to be trimmed a tad behind the doors. The bumpstop pads in the back worked great.

Tire carrier needs to be reinforced. It bounces off of the rear hatch on really bumpy roads.

The jeep handled a 5 hour trip on the highway and in the hills just great. Still averaging decent gas mileage. I want to say at least 15 mpg with a speedometer that is just a few mph off correct. 4.56 gears seem to be a happy medium with the 35s that are on there now.

Driveshafts are worn out big time. Slop in the slip joints. Will need a replacement for the front soon as they are old driveshafts from the trans swap.

Right before the trip I found some bilstein 5100s on craigslists for a deal. They came off of a dodge truck and were less than a year old. I am not quite sure how the valving is compared to ones sold for a jeep but they are acceptable. Way better than the JK shocks I had on the front.

Now it is time to prepare a winch bumper. This will be a recessed winch bumper with the winch under the radiator. I already have a 2x6 piece of steel, IRO bumper brackets, and a steel hawse for the winch. I will be building it to match the look of ORS stubby winch bumper.
View attachment 218246
Just throwing this out there that this is the last time your jeep saw the trails… you posted this on May 16, 2016…you better have this pile back together before the five year mark.

Just throwing this out there that this is the last time your jeep saw the trails… you posted this on May 16, 2016…you better have this pile back together before the five year mark.

E5DDEB3B-0A1F-4200-9A8E-703AB3157420.jpeg

Right before the 18 fun caravan you mofos :huggy: but it’s moving along. Just don’t want to have to redo shit down the road.

It’s a Jeep, you’ll always end up redoing something down the road…ask me how I know :laughing:
You right. In my early years I used to build things real quick with not a lot of planning and anytime I had to revisit it, it was a giant pain in the ass. My first crossmember skid plate was the worst thing in the world to remove. I remember hating is after the first time I had to pull it off. That was way back in 2015 haha.

I figured I would actually try to make this thing quality after I tore it down and put it on jack stands.

Nothing major to report lately. I have one more plate to cut for the fuel tank enclosure. I ordered a bunch of flanges from WFO. Two flanges for the np205 and one flange for the Dana 60. The sterling already has a factory flange.

I plan to reuse my almost new 1310 Dave’s driveshaft for the front shaft. I have a gently used 1350 superduty front shaft for my rear shaft that I drilled out the flange holes to 1/2 inch diameter. All flanges for ultimate strength fingers crossed.

4259AA68-D502-4E11-8541-28FF5ECCAFFC.jpeg

9D4A8BDB-7390-44AF-9C13-B0065A557B5A.jpeg

A868B90E-A5FA-4E8F-BED8-8A9E2C127F62.jpeg

Nothing major to report lately. I have one more plate to cut for the fuel tank enclosure. I ordered a bunch of flanges from WFO. Two flanges for the np205 and one flange for the Dana 60. The sterling already has a factory flange.

I plan to reuse my almost new 1310 Dave’s driveshaft for the front shaft. I have a gently used 1350 superduty front shaft for my rear shaft that I drilled out the flange holes to 1/2 inch diameter. All flanges for ultimate strength fingers crossed.

View attachment 382630

View attachment 382631

View attachment 382632
Serious question. How do you keep track of what you have and don’t have and have ordered and not ordered over the 4 year time span? I can’t remember what I have eaten for breakfast most days :laughing:

You got a tow rig now, so finish this up! You gonna have grey hairs and grand kids at this rate before the jeep sees the trail :flipoff2:

Serious question. How do you keep track of what you have and don’t have and have ordered and not ordered over the 4 year time span? I can’t remember what I have eaten for breakfast most days :laughing:
I spend countless nights lying awake thinking about all of the things I have left to do :laughing:

I’ll admit all of this slowed down as soon as I bought a house. Should have managed that expectation better. But I’m trying to get the holes on the floor covered up and the radiator back on so we can start moving this around!

I like that I found this build. It lifts my spirits when I find another builder working on my time frame. Sadly more has been done on this unit then I have to my personal ride.

So is your New Years resolution to see trail time in your own XJ in 2023? :flipoff2:

I mean it has only been 5 years…
You bet your ass! I’ll be pushing myself to get in the garage everyday after Christmas Holiday working on things. Also buying the rest of my axle parts will be a nice for my motivation.

Last edited:
Got off my ass and did some welding. This beautiful spring like weather inspired me to push this hog out of the garage for some cutting, grinding, and welding.

Fixed up my front bumper by chopping a section out of it and welding it back together so it is pushed back closer to the radiator. I would like to be closer to engine but I’ll live with it. Also welded the rest of the newer rock slider connections with the stick welder while it was running. I swear that thing has 100% duty cycle.

Threw up a simple back bumper from a 2x4 tube that used to be one of my old rock sliders. I bought some cheap premade bumper brackets that slide into the unibody off Amazon and had low expectations. I was surprised that it was made from a quarter inch steel and came with grade 8 hardware. I built off of the brackets and put a slight tilt on the tube. Finished it off with more cheap amazon D ring clevis mounts.

F1795C06-1F09-45C3-9C1B-F9E899D579AB.jpeg

F17BD2CF-C8A2-4694-BFA8-F4B9A8B02892.jpeg

4B716DE7-1645-418D-B0B2-B96A9D5290A2.jpeg

BCD14B8F-1374-45B5-91A5-1A543AE2D13C.jpeg

FE095983-E359-4DDC-9710-2EF6E3F8D8D7.jpeg

990D66E4-46B7-465A-9090-082DBB863361.jpeg

Made a horrible decision and built a box around my old fuel tank. Really could have saved some time and done a fuel cell but I liked the trouble free history I’ve had with my old tank.

I need to pop out the rear quarter glass panel and throw in a steel plate to get a fuel filler passed through.

I’ve got a lot of electrical work to get a battery hooked back up. I was initially thinking of putting it in the trunk but now I think it will stay under the hood somewhere. I hate electrical work :kaioken:

3E27B570-5390-436B-A493-985E335A8E5A.jpeg

When… the F…is this pile going to be on the trail????? I have gone from a normal beard to a full grey beard since the last time this heap has been on the trail. I am wondering if you just want to have an excuse to go to the shop and never intend to wheel again :laughing:

Get a Fin move on and come hang out and wheel, for the love of all that is worth a darn. If not GTFO :D

Back