93 XJ build

Got drivetrain on my mind. So I bought the sterling 10.5 rear from a guy that chipped a tooth on one of the spider gears. It is a LSD carrier and for some reason I can’t find any new spider gears out there other then find one in a pick and pull. However I came across this on Insta the other day

6609f7173001377398e9f6011ef0048f.jpg

A company is prototyping a drop in ratchet locker for the OE LSD carrier. I thought that was pretty cool. Might have to message them about pricing. I was really considering the Yukon auto locker but this looks pretty neat if it saves me a couple hundo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
A drop in ratchet for a 10.5 would be the ticket! Why there's not more options out there for Sterling's is beyond me, considering the 10.25 and 10.5 share the same internals. ARB, full case Detroit, Grizzly and Trutrac are all I'm aware of. None of them are cheap either.
I ended up opting for the Grizzly for mine. I can tell you first hand, there is nothing gentle about a Grizzly locker at all. My wheelbase is still hovering around 100", which has a lot to do with it. It bites hard as hell going into even the mildest turn. It wouldn't be as noticable with a longer wheelbase like you've got. Part of me almost regrets not going Trutrac in a way.

I ended up opting for the Grizzly for mine. I can tell you first hand, there is nothing gentle about a Grizzly locker at all.

I've got one in a 14 bolt and I agree. Mine is in a longer wheelbase than yours but still pretty violent. I also don't much care for the "slack" in it either. When you park it will roll enough to catch you off guard. It also gets "slack" in it in driving where your on and off the throttle quickly (like a parking lot).

Another option that I think gets often overlooked for the sterling is the factory electric locker. It's a selectable locker that pretty strong and becoming pretty cheap also. Probably about as much as the drop in locker would be.

2011-2019 Ford Differential Assembly BC3Z-4026-B | Waldorf Ford Parts

@1stgenxxx runs one in his cherokee and seems to work good.

This swap was super easy. I'd definitely recommend it

If one local pops up I’ll grab one! It sounds like you can walk into the dealership parts dept and ask for one too. Not sure how expensive it would be.

I've got one in a 14 bolt and I agree. Mine is in a longer wheelbase than yours but still pretty violent. I also don't much care for the "slack" in it either. When you park it will roll enough to catch you off guard. It also gets "slack" in it in driving where your on and off the throttle quickly (like a parking lot).
I get that exactly. It's almost like the sensation of about to run out of gas.

Not a Sterling axle, but I used to have Lockrites in the front and rear of my XJ. I wore the front Lockrite teeth out and changed it to a Grizzly locker. It is indeed a very aggressive locker; not much play at all - generally locked.

Lol. Accurate. Summer schedule. 3 weddings. Two family vacations. Hosting a his and hers bridal shower for some friends. House projects.
That sounds like torture to me. I have finally aged out of all of those things, none of my friends are getting married anymore. I have no family for vacations, and I'd rather pluck my eye lashes one by one than deal with bridal whatever you said..... I'll never be done with house projects, but I'm pretty good at doing them next weekend.

That sounds like torture to me. I have finally aged out of all of those things, none of my friends are getting married anymore. I have no family for vacations, and I'd rather pluck my eye lashes one by one than deal with bridal whatever you said..... I'll never be done with house projects, but I'm pretty good at doing them next weekend.
COVID created a 2021 summer with double events since there were no weddings or trips last summer. Fortunately I can actually work on my jeep at my house now instead of 45 minutes away in a RV sized storage unit. Small victories here and there.

Back at the crossmember work. Want something low profile and simple. Flange tube connection will be welded to the stiffeners. Center section will drop out similar to the forward crossmember. Single bushing mounted in the same direction as the AX15 mount.

Probably going to chop out the entire trans tunnel after finishing this.

730A7F1E-DF3C-43EA-BD9B-556E59496FF7.jpeg
62C927EC-1D7F-47FD-8A47-A15CAEA6EE29.jpeg
1804EDD7-B4A2-4C1C-B116-A4EA1F030E52.jpeg

Wait…you’re still building this?

All jokes aside, I’m really hoping to see this this thing finished soon
Time has just been in warp mode for the last two years. Walking by it every now and then watching the dust build up on it during that period has been pretty rough. But I’m going to see it through. The list is long but the priority is to get the gas tank, battery, and radiator back in so I can fire it up again. I have driveshafts I need to cut, run brake lines, then get some cable shifters. Gears and lockers last unfortunately :(

Time has just been in warp mode for the last two years. Walking by it every now and then watching the dust build up on it during that period has been pretty rough. But I’m going to see it through. The list is long but the priority is to get the gas tank, battery, and radiator back in so I can fire it up again. I have driveshafts I need to cut, run brake lines, then get some cable shifters. Gears and lockers last unfortunately :(

you can do it cheering GIF

Man I had to come 2 pages back to find this. This could possibly be the slowest build I’ve seen. All the parks will be closed and we will all be in a rest home talking to ourselves and this will still be on jack stands :stirthepot:

Edit: maybe you need to come ride passenger on a trip for some motivation.

Man I had to come 2 pages back to find this. This could possibly be the slowest build I’ve seen. All the parks will be closed and we will all be in a rest home talking to ourselves and this will still be on jack stands :stirthepot:

Edit: maybe you need to come ride passenger on a trip for some motivation.
I’d be down for some riding early months next year!

I’m wrapping up my doubler crossmember now. After that it’s all the smaller things like radiator, battery, and gas tank/fuel cell. So a handful more Benjamin’s and we can start working out all of the kinks. There have been two built rigs on here for sale that have been tempting (the land cruiser and the frontier) but I only have room for one extra car here at my house haha.

My old friend wheeling buddy @BigClay never calls me up anymore for rock crawling trips :shaking:

My old friend wheeling buddy @BigClay never calls me up anymore for rock crawling trips :shaking:

That’s because that fool don’t go either :(

I’m wrapping up my doubler crossmember now. After that it’s all the smaller things like radiator, battery, and gas tank/fuel cell. So a handful more Benjamin’s and we can start working out all of the kinks. There have been two built rigs on here for sale that have been tempting (the land cruiser and the frontier) but I only have room for one extra car here at my house haha.

We will change that next year, you need to see the Ranch and Kairos

Back