98 XJ basic weekend project

The mids and rear will need the carpet lifted. It’s a crappy job but it is worth it! Can’t wait to keep seeing progress!

I welded my mid frame stiffeners with no problems. I was also very patient and had two fire extinguishers with me. You can definitely feel the warmth generate on the carpet though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Started on the frame stiffeners tonight and got the passenger side done and the drivers side prepped. Also picked up a set of rubicon wheels with some 285/75/17, hoping to get to 315/70 before long. Picked up paint for the axles, pads, rotors, and gear oil for the diffs. I’m really looking forward to this running this thing!

These are not my welds, had one of my techs at work weld for me! Not my strong point and don’t want to practice on these!

Looks great!

What gear ratio are you running?

Very nice. Smart move on the front stiffeners and the steering box brace. I would also suggest the track bar brace too. Love that color xj.

Very nice. Smart move on the front stiffeners and the steering box brace. I would also suggest the track bar brace too. Love that color xj.
I would recommend a track bar that replaces the frame side bracket and eliminates the tie rod end.

Thanks guys, I’ll check it out.

First time having stiffeners and brace on an XJ, I’m excited to see the difference.

Are you going to put something to protect the rocker panels from rock rash?

Yeah for sure. Next will be the mid stiffeners and then sliders. Waiting for some used ones to pop up for sale.

Well last night was not as productive as I would have liked but I was able to paint the rear axle, get the front primered, tack up the other stiffener, and trim the passenger side fenders. The rear fender looks like crap but it will do. The axle is turning out slick!

Finally got everything together and the first test drive done! Brakes need to be bled in a bad way, have a nasty grinding noise when turning the wheel stationary, and the steering wheel is off center. Nothing crazy, I think the grinding is the gearbox being low on fluid.. hopefully.

I am pretty sure the leaf pack sits higher on the C8.25. I’ll likely get 5.5” coils up front to compensate and get rid of the spacers.

Also found out the BFG KM2s are annoying as hell. I don’t plan to keep them.

Here we are:

Before you hit the trails you want to put the rear brake hoses over top of the leaf spring packs. They should reach there no problem :)

Before you hit the trails you want to put the rear brake hoses over top of the leaf spring packs. They should reach there no problem :)

For sure! I actually have the line you had plus mine on there, I need to take one off and re route but we were ready to test it out :driver:

Struggling on 33's or 35's. Can someone sway me one way or the other?

I’m running 33x10.50s in stock wheels with 5.5 front/4.5 rear and they rub the control arm.

With a 12.50 they would hit the rear leaf springs pretty much sitting still without new wheels or thick spacers

Either:
bring the rear down a hair = 33 with room to roam.
Or
Lift the front a hair = 35 and may need to adjust bump stops.

I’d say 35” and roll out
I’m running 33x10.50s in stock wheels with 5.5 front/4.5 rear and they rub the control arm.

With a 12.50 they would hit the rear leaf springs pretty much sitting still without new wheels or thick spacers

Right on. I've got the 5.5" coils, hockey pucks, and bump stops ready to go. I'm just waiting on the 5100's to come in and do it all at once. The adapters will help with rubbing and if i decided to go with a 15" wheel i'll just get a decent backspacing to prevent rubbing.

Personally I would run a high quality 33” mud terrain tire. I’m not convinced a 35” tire is worth the added mass over a 33” tire (especially on an xj that has a good wheelbase). I think some 33” cooper stt would do well. That keeps your 4.56 gears happy and keeps your axle shafts and ring and pinions safe.

To see real off road benefits of a larger tire a jump from 33” to 37” seems more realistic. 33” to 35” is just splitting hairs.

Bump stopping is a pain and so is trimming fenders if you appreciate the look of stock fender flares.

Looking good!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quick little update: Both front stiffeners are welded in, just need to shoot them with some paint, installed the 5.5" springs, installed the bilstein 5100's and the bumpstops. Also, thanks to the 33 vs 35 thread i started, I have decided to go 33" and ordered a set of Maxxis Razr's. I am going to run a 15" wheel instead of the 17's for more sidewall.

The ride with the 5100's are awesome, rides like a caddy! Cant wait to see what some decent tires run like! Looking out for some rock sliders now.

I took my XJ out to an (undisclosed location) this past weekend and the RAZRs did great! I'm running about 32psi in mine and that seems about right for driving to go wheel. I drove back from Lenoir to Todd (45 minutes) and the tires handled well on the highway.

I took my XJ out to an (undisclosed location) this past weekend and the RAZRs did great! I'm running about 32psi in mine and that seems about right for driving to go wheel. I drove back from Lenoir to Todd (45 minutes) and the tires handled well on the highway.

Awesome, that's good to know! My friend has a set of 285/75/16 on his tacoma and loves them. He is a big puss and hasn't wheeled it so I havent had a solid review.

My belt popped off the other night, found the tensioner not tight, I assumed the guy prior that put the alternator on never tightened the pulley itself just the adjustment. I was hoping that would fix the squeak as well but no cigar. Put a new belt on and heard the fan hitting something along with a heavier squeak. Noticed the crank pulley sticking out about a 1/2 inch. Pushed it back and started it to watch and the pulley is wobbling. Looks like a new balancer will be put on this weekend.

Picked up a set of 15s and had the new tires mounted and ready to go. Those will be mounted on the Jeep this weekend too. Hopefully all the bugs will be ironed out.

I love how aggressive the sidewall is on the Razrs.

Back