98 XJ basic weekend project

Attachments

• 971E1624-2166-47D3-9AD7-F4D319B2A5DC.jpeg
    971E1624-2166-47D3-9AD7-F4D319B2A5DC.jpeg
    104.2 KB · Views: 380
Been a little bit since an update but some good stuff going on. Picked up some sliders and mid stiffeners a few weeks ago and hooked up with @marty79 to help weld them in. While I was out there he noticed the sh!tty position my axle was in. My coils were resting on my bumpstops o_O We talked about the best option for now and we went with a version of the IRO kit. John is a great dude and does some awesome work!

Now for some pictures:

Also picked up some shackle relocation boxes from @BUCKEYE PERFORMANCE INC. (they are very well built) and sway bar disconnects.

I wanna see some articulation with those sway bars disconnected (should've done it here haha). Glad to hear it drove so much better and very blessed to make a new friend.

Not a whole lot to report on. Got the the relocation brackets and disconnects installed. Painted inside the front fender wells and stiffeners...it came out pretty good. Not much left, sold off my bumpers and have some new ones being made, pretty stoked for them. Looking to make a day trip somewhere to see how she does. Anyone down or have some recommendations?

Not a whole lot to report on. Got the the relocation brackets and disconnects installed. Painted inside the front fender wells and stiffeners...it came out pretty good. Not much left, sold off my bumpers and have some new ones being made, pretty stoked for them. Looking to make a day trip somewhere to see how she does. Anyone down or have some recommendations?

I will be in uwharrie this coming weekend, and would enjoy riding with another xj if you are down.

I will be in uwharrie this coming weekend, and would enjoy riding with another xj if you are down.

I would be down for a Saturday ride. My wife has to shoot a photo session Sunday so I’ll be on dad duty.

Am I the only one that welds up the entire rosette on frame stiffeners? Those need more welding in my opinion.

Am I the only one that welds up the entire rosette on frame stiffeners? Those need more welding in my opinion.

No, you are not. and they need much more weld.

No, you are not. and they need much more weld.

The reasoning was being nervous for heat distortion with the uni and I read somewhere intermittent welding was good for stiffeners... do you guys recommend hitting the whole perimeter? I am definitely not an expert in welding LOL.

Fill the rosettes and double the welds on the edges. From the pictures it doesn’t look like you even have 50% of the edges welded

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The trip to Uwharrie went well. Jumped in with a Jeep club that offered a tremendous amount of help and guidance. Took it light to make sure nothing fell off and to get a good feel for things. Enjoyed the time and ready for some more!

Shipped it down to Erik at red eye fab in SC for some new bumpers / tire carrier.

Also picked up this baby for $600.

The trip to Uwharrie went well. Jumped in with a Jeep club that offered a tremendous amount of help and guidance. Took it light to make sure nothing fell off and to get a good feel for things. Enjoyed the time and ready for some more!

Shipped it down to Erik at red eye fab in SC for some new bumpers / tire carrier.

Also picked up this baby for $600.

Just saw a bumper posted on FB marketplace by them. Never heard of them until today.

Just saw a bumper posted on FB marketplace by them. Never heard of them until today.

He just branched out on his own in February I think. He does some phenomenal work. You talking about the Cherokee bumper? If so, that is my Cherokee. We are building a little more off the pictures in the ad.

He just branched out on his own in February I think. He does some phenomenal work. You talking about the Cherokee bumper? If so, that is my Cherokee. We are building a little more off the pictures in the ad.
Yes that is what I figured.

Awesome to see a place like that so close. Please let us know how the process goes.

Looks cool but I wonder about ergonomics. How are the, uh, 'swing arm mounts' on the d pillar area mounted? Seems like it might be a PITA to use the hatch if you have to unbolt each side and let it down. And maybe tough to get the 2nd bolt out if it's got the weight of the whole shebang pulling on it.

Back