Another 87 YJ build (my 3rd one)

Nice, now you can "throw all the LS at it" like the rest of the idiots... myself included :dumbass:

Explain beef up the front diff please. Like load bolt or??
Superjoints and drive flanges.
It has chromo shafts but stock joints. The locking hubs were assembled incorrectly and show wear. I grabbed my spare TeraFlex drive flanges out of my spare parts box and will use them.
I'll pop the carrier out and verify the diff is bueno also.

Superjoints and drive flanges.
It has chromo shafts but stock joints. The locking hubs were assembled incorrectly and show wear. I grabbed my spare TeraFlex drive flanges out of my spare parts box and will use them.
I'll pop the carrier out and verify the diff is bueno also.
ahhh, thought you was going to do some super voodoo lp60 magic that only those of gear and axle magicians understand.

Deciding on new paint scheme. Based on availability (what I already have a bunch of :flipoff2:) the decision has been made.
PXL_20220825_195259059.jpg

Is it on the way from Camden to Gulches? Not sure where you are these days
Most of the time I don't either. :laughing:
Yes. I'm right off of hwy 34 about 45 min from Gulches.

That rear diff cover gave me a hard time, and had some wonky bolts that got thrown in it in a pinch before a trip. It leaked less than before after that so I was scared to touch it again lol.

I do not recommend the weld on shave kit on a 14 bolt. Simply cutting the bottom off a little and running a 13 bolt cover is the best way. Curse the guy that did that to that Jeep.

That rear diff cover gave me a hard time, and had some wonky bolts that got thrown in it in a pinch before a trip. It leaked less than before after that so I was scared to touch it again lol.

I do not recommend the weld on shave kit on a 14 bolt. Simply cutting the bottom off a little and running a 13 bolt cover is the best way. Curse the guy that did that to that Jeep.
AGREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE. Now imagine having one in front application and using it as a battering ram because you drive like Ray Charles.

I'll probably weld a piece of 3/8" round stock to the bottom of the diff to give a little lip protection

I had added over an 1/8th of material to the bottom of that cover awhile back and precision ground the cover back flat with a high quality Milwaukee surface grinder :laughing: Had planned to or did (really can't remember) weld a plate to the bottom to try and help but the above mentioned driving styles were at play.

I ground the shit outta mine so I could install some regular bolts in it instead of that allen head trash. Three regular bolts, whole tube of silicone, and 50/50 mix of gear oil and stop leak is all thats required for it to actually not leak. Allen head bolts belong in the trash right beside avocados.

Back