Another 87 YJ build (my 3rd one)

FB_IMG_1673186244660~2.jpg

When you get back in the Ranger when it’s all said and done, I’d like to hear your thoughts on the LS compared to the Ford in the Ranger. You may already have thoughts but it’s been a while since you drove the truck lol.
I didn’t think to ask while on the phone with you today. It was over cammed IMO but did well enough.

When you get back in the Ranger when it’s all said and done, I’d like to hear your thoughts on the LS compared to the Ford in the Ranger. You may already have thoughts but it’s been a while since you drove the truck lol.
I didn’t think to ask while on the phone with you today. It was over cammed IMO but did well enough.
I'm not impressed at all with the power from the 5.3. Granted it's stock with a hog ass cam
They're not at all apples to oranges comparison.
If the 5.3 had similar heads, higher compression, proper cam/converter and such, it would be the typical nasty LS many folks have
But, it's super reliable, runs cool and has adequate power as it is

I'm not impressed at all with the power from the 5.3. Granted it's stock with a hog ass cam
Here's your problem.
LS don't make great low end torque compared to an old school engine. And a hog ass cam will absolutely kill the low end even more.

Honestly, I don't think they are that great of an engine when it comes to torque output, but they have an exceptional price/perf ratio and the engine management really brought simple and reliable EFI to the masses.

I've driven similarly priced BBF, BBC and LS, I'll take a big block over an LS any day. But you gotta shell out some $$ and can't find anything at a junkyard for these guys.

Here's your problem.
LS don't make great low end torque compared to an old school engine. And a hog ass cam will absolutely kill the low end even more.

Honestly, I don't think they are that great of an engine when it comes to torque output, but they have an exceptional price/perf ratio and the engine management really brought simple and reliable EFI to the masses.

I've driven similarly priced BBF, BBC and LS, I'll take a big block over an LS any day. But you gotta shell out some $$ and can't find anything at a junkyard for these guys.
Agreed.
On one hand to get similiar HP/TQ numbers from a SBF, you're spending easily double. For a SBC, you begin to lose some driveability at higher performance output. For me the biggest advantage of LS engines is the aftermarket support on the ECM and electronics side. You can have a 500 HP 6.0 that starts like a DD.

Last edited:
Agreed.
On on ehand to get similiar HP/TQ numbers from a SBF, you're spending easily double. For a SBC, you begin to lose some driveability at higher performance output. For me the biggest advantage of LS engines is the aftermarket support on the ECM and electronics side. You can have a 500 HPO 6.0 that starts like a DD.
My buddy that has a nasty big block always fears he won't be able to start it when the temps go under 40 deg.

My LS will fire after half a turn every time.

2 weeks ago, I started it for the first time in 2 months when it was cold outside. It fired right up but ran like shit. I moved the car outside, did what I had to do, fired it back up then moved it back inside and started to investigate. Turns out I had unplugged the left bank coil packs and one of the right bank coil pack 2 months ago and completely forgot to plug them back in. Damn thing was running on 3 cylinders and moved my car around in below freezing temps.

Go do that with a TBI engine haha

Last edited:
My buddy that has a nasty big block always fears he won't be able to start it when the temps go under 40 deg.

My LS will fire after half a turn every time.

2 weeks ago, I started it for the first time in 2 months when it was cold outside. It fired right up but ran like shit. I moved the car outside, did what I had to do, fired it back up then moved it back inside and started to investigate. Turns out I had unplugged the left bank coil packs and one of the right bank coil pack 2 months ago and completely forgot to plug them back in. Damn thing was running on 3 cylinders and moved my car around in below freezing temps.

Go do that with a TBI engine haha
since we have already derailed the thread...

I have wondered about building adapters that allowed factory LS injection & ignition components to be used on other engines. The more I have thought about it, I feel like it wouldnt really end up much different that running an MPFI setup from Holley/Edelbrock/etc on the same engine. Thoughts? & maybe there is more to the LS that makes it work like it does, than just the EFI system.

I have wondered about building adapters that allowed factory LS injection & ignition components to be used on other engines. The more I have thought about it, I feel like it wouldnt really end up much different that running an MPFI setup from Holley/Edelbrock/etc on the same engine. Thoughts? & maybe there is more to the LS that makes it work like it does, than just the EFI system.
I've seen SBF with LS style COP and electronics before. I assume there are folks who make the conversion kit to do it.
I know on a 5.0 for example, ditching the intake manifolds and going with an old school lower with injector provisions is a very clean way to go. Doing this, with a cam sensor (all a dizzy really is) and COP with remote coils, would be super clean.

If you were trying to do it cheaply and better than gm, megasquirt and the correct efi intake would be your best bet.

Ms provides 50 different ways to run the ignition and coils, but for easy and reliable whatever ignition you'd use with a carb would work fine.

I'm pretty sure they do. I feel like I've seen it on The Skid Factory and Hot Rod Garage.

Holley sells these as well:

And Jody never derails his threads

Edelbrock pro flo 4 has mpi units for all sbc sbf

I'm pretty sure they do. I feel like I've seen it on The Skid Factory and Hot Rod Garage.

Holley sells these as well:

And Jody never derails his threads
Yes, I know that the aftermarket makes MPFI for the engines, I was suggesting being able to use factory LS parts, sensors, etc.

That is really my question, what makes the LS setup special, as mentioned above. Is it the factory EFI setup & pieces or more the mechanics of the engine. I believe that @Bebop is running aftermarket EFI, which would indicate its more about the engine itself.

On the LS torque output aspect of things...

MOST people that grab a cam for their engine don't know jack shit about them, what they reallllly do, how to match a setup to their cam, or pick a cam for their setup. There's a million "off the shelf" ones you can get from numerous sources that, ehh, kinda work, but could be better for a particular engine. I'm a big believer in a custom grind/having one spec'd for your intended use. I'd say the majority want peak numbers and neglect useable, under the curve (overall) power and it makes other areas suffer.

Yes, I know that the aftermarket makes MPFI for the engines, I was suggesting being able to use factory LS parts, sensors, etc.

That is really my question, what makes the LS setup special, as mentioned above. Is it the factory EFI setup & pieces or more the mechanics of the engine. I believe that @Bebop is running aftermarket EFI, which would indicate its more about the engine itself.

There is a big difference in intake manifold / TB design between the factory LS ones and the aftermarket stuff.

The aftermarket MFPI TBs with a carb pattern aren't usually as good as the factory butterfly units.

This :

112-588.jpg

url

Kinda sucks for drivability.

When it comes to ECUs, there is no big difference in what they can do, but there is a big difference in what you can program. It would be really hard to setup a factory LS ECU to work on a SBF. Holley will do that shit all day long and support coil near plugs to replace the dizzy etc.

On the LS torque output aspect of things...

MOST people that grab a cam for their engine don't know jack shit about them, what they reallllly do, how to match a setup to their cam, or pick a cam for their setup. There's a million "off the shelf" ones you can get from numerous sources that, ehh, kinda work, but could be better for a particular engine. I'm a big believer in a custom grind/having one spec'd for your intended use. I'd say the majority want peak numbers and neglect useable, under the curve (overall) power and it makes other areas suffer.
hawg ass cam =/> 3/4 race cam

If you were trying to do it cheaply and better than gm, megasquirt and the correct efi intake would be your best bet.

Ms provides 50 different ways to run the ignition and coils, but for easy and reliable whatever ignition you'd use with a carb would work fine.

I know the hot ticket back in the day was to run Megasquirt with for EDIS. Several people made a 36-1 trigger wheel that would mount to balancers to make it easier.

I know the hot ticket back in the day was to run Megasquirt with for EDIS. Several people made a 36-1 trigger wheel that would mount to balancers to make it easier.
Been there, tried that, by the time you source all the parts and the research to get ms running you’ve almost paid for a terminator and then you need a dyno tune unless you’re buddies with someone on the forum with your exact setup, then troubleshooting is a bitch.

Ford get a 5.0 from an exploder

Chevy get an ls

Otherwise you’ll be troubleshooting poor performance and bad gas mileage forever

I have experience with 2 go karts using a 4cyl Crotch rocket motor and 2 iterations on a jeep 4.0. It is only obd1 level at best and with the right skills can be a great system, just not user friendly

Attachments

• 76A56B68-4E5E-4782-9A16-C86700A4392D.jpeg
    76A56B68-4E5E-4782-9A16-C86700A4392D.jpeg
    51.8 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
Back