Anyone ever owned or built a ramp truck?

BRUISER

silent.. but deadly
Been thinking about building one and was curious to what you liked or did not like?

if I do it I will use my dodge CTD and build on that.
it already has the CTD, 4 doors, and 4x4.

I know I would need to get a dually rear axle and extend the frame.

any input would be great

Thanks

Here is thread that shows truck I would use..
http://www.nc4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41246

and pics of truck

100_5502.jpg

100_5503.jpg

100_5504.jpg

100_5505.jpg

you would be money ahead to buy a rollback there high but if you look around you can find them cheaper. I give 10k for a 2000 550 by the time you strech the frame, box it for support,get a rear end,buy your steel,ect you could buy one and still have a good looking dodge.

it also take's half the time to load it if your broke

What is the reason for looking in this direction?
What problem are you fixing.

Search for 'Hodges' or Hodeges conversion. They make/made ramp decks and its also the term folks will use to list other types.. I have a boat load of pics.. I'll try to post them...

I've looked into this at several points. Had the F600, considered back halfing the Uhaul truck to open deck, and will likely consider this down the road. I think if you not into camping and just shell out for a room/cabin someplace this is a good way to haul...

BUT you need to make sure your using the right platform. Many smaller ramp trucks I've seen don't seem to do well with a tall 5k rig on them.

1b_1.jpg

05_1.jpg

6b_1.jpg

19_1.jpg

frontdrivers.jpg

22_1.jpg
Ill post pics in a bit...

Ken, I have one, and love it!
I can load my Jeep and be gone way before anyone with a trailer. Much easier to dive and handle. My Hauler weighs in at ~9300lbs, my Jeep weighs 6400lbs, and I only slow down on the steeper hills.
What I like about mine is:
The winch, pull anything that rolls on to it
The tie downs,...a chain with a gear lock at all four corners. Front chains have a hook to lock back on it's self, and also one of those gizmo's to fit into the frame of most cars(oval slot) The rear chains have a big J hook, and a smaller hook. All four corners you can bind them down and be gone, fast.
My truck also has a light bar, that I can use when picking something up on the side of the road, hadn't used it much, but have it when I do.
It also has some rear lights mounted on the headache bar, currently not working, but did, and will again, just have to redo some wiring.
Also in the bed are some flush mounted lights that if were working, would make an awesome light show and give great view to work under my Jeep like I have so many times, but as of now, none of them are working, the need replaced, and as with the other lights, I will when I get the chance.
It has one storage box on the drivers side, thinking of adding one to the right side.
It has a storage box in the very rear too.
It also has 2 20 gallon tanks, one on each side, good when you only want to get gas in one tank, so you can pull to either side of the pump. Bad when you want to fill both up, and have to fill one then turn the truck to fill the other.
What I don't like is:
The hitch is welded on, I would rather have a Reese type hitch, and as with other things I will have when I get a roundtoit. My ramps while very heavy duty, are just too damn heavy, esp with a bad back(that's why I was asking you about your ramps)
IT has a 465 tranny, heavy duty, but an over drive unit would be great and I am sure would help me on the MPG's
It would be great if it were a four door. I don't have much use for more passengers, but would be great to have the extra room for stuff when I haul and camp. (pop up campers offer little room for stuff!)

Attachments

• IMGA0090.jpg
    IMGA0090.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 892
  • IMGA0091.jpg
    IMGA0091.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 910
  • IMGA0093.jpg
    IMGA0093.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 998
please sell me the dodge before you cut it. please....

here is my dilemma and reason I am thinking of going this way.

I am really just trying to figure out how to have a truck/trailer combo for day trips when wheeling but then also have a 19' or 21' camper also.. if we could double tow in NC then this would not be a problem. but my current tow set up is great for when I go wheeling but not great for day trips or just camping trips with family and dog.

100_6494.jpg

if I had a ramp truck I could load jeep go wheeling for day trips or go places were we rent a house or stay in motel with out having big trailer with me. I could also tow a large pull behind camper with me if I wanted for wheeling/camping trips..but then if I just wanted to go camping with family Grand Cherokee could tow just camper.

I have seen lots of ramp trucks but most are 2 door and I HAVE to have a 4 door to carry entire family when needed.

few more.... Last one, ramp van is my favorite !

View attachment 31826

Mike thanks for all the pics..

That van bed looks pretty easy to build and that is more along what I had in my head for a design.. simple but works

here is my dilemma and reason I am thinking of going this way.

I am really just trying to figure out how to have a truck/trailer combo for day trips when wheeling but then also have a 19' or 21' camper also.. if we could double tow in NC then this would not be a problem. but my current tow set up is great for when I go wheeling but not great for day trips or just camping trips with family and dog.

100_6494.jpg

if I had a ramp truck I could load jeep go wheeling for day trips or go places were we rent a house or stay in motel with out having big trailer with me. I could also tow a large pull behind camper with me if I wanted for wheeling/camping trips..but then if I just wanted to go camping with family Grand Cherokee could tow just camper.

I have seen lots of ramp trucks but most are 2 door and I HAVE to have a 4 door to carry entire family when needed.

Sounds like you shouldve kept your tag along trailer :flipoff2:. While I understand your situation, it would be a crime to convert the CC into a ramp truck. I dream about the day my CC will be as clean as yours.

Duane

moter home. camping towing wheeling. just u = smaller trailer and the truck. yeah I know a moterhome is a huge price and most small ones don't tow well, but thats my dream outfit. Still thats a rare very clean ride to cut up. I'd find an all ready built unit, maybe a crew cab chebby wouldn't be hard to find. They aren't as rare.

moter home. camping towing wheeling. just u = smaller trailer and the truck. yeah I know a moterhome is a huge price and most small ones don't tow well, but thats my dream outfit. Still thats a rare very clean ride to cut up. I'd find an all ready built unit, maybe a crew cab chebby wouldn't be hard to find. They aren't as rare.
You can find American Coach motorhomes at good prices now. 1994-1998 are great buys and won't depreciate hardly any more and if ya want you can tow your house!

ive got a straight 2wd chevy dually that needs a motor. its a 4door and would make a good project, it has very little rust. had a 454 but it got hot and cracked the heads. if interested pm me. you could always cut it up and make a ramp truck.

yuo can get the double trailer endorsement on your license, i have mine and never used it. you could do that and pull two trailers, but it may be overweight?? i know it would probably get you pulled and harassed a lot too.:lol:

Back