[Apr 20, 2012] Down & Dirty for Life - A Cancer Benefit & Open Ride at The Flats (Marion, NC)

Looked like a great day to be out wheeling. I saw a couple of pics that were sent by some friends who knew how totally bummed I was not to be able to make it. Keep uploading the pics and vids so I can live vicariously through ya'll. Hate that I missed it and hoped that everybody had a great time.

I saw several people wheeling Saturday, with no seat belts on. I am not talking about people riding around, I am talking about people beating on it preaty hard. I asked a couple people to put there belts on, an they did with out any problems. An want to thank those people. We just try to keep people safe. I think it would be a good idea maybe to get a sign or 3 an put them up in the park in a few places to remind people how important it is to wear them. It only take a second to get hurt bad. Thanks

I am guilty of riding a passenger with no belt. I took Conrad the Crawdad for a tour of the parking area and upper flats, he had to take his shoes off to get in, and with the costume, my belts would not fit around him! I did take it easy though!

That was really cool that Conrad the Crawdad got to come. We emailed the Crawdads 6 months ago and they called us Friday for details. We tried to get the Bobcats mascot and a few other ones but most of them charged.

There were four rigs asked to leave. Two were newer model Nissan Titan trucks, two were older model Ford trucks. Spinning mud is not an issue, but when you back up and intentionally spin mud to cover up the port a johns then it is an issue. This type of behavior will just not be tolerated. Total disregard for other peoples property. While it may seem fun or funny, it isn't. I would not be surprised if the company who owns the two units did not charge us extra for the extra cleaning involved.
In the case of the first two asked to leave, alcohol was involved. IN the second situation, they were just trying to see who could spin the most mud in 2 WD. I had the displeasure of being involved in both situations.
This was the first time in The Flats history that we have ever had to tell anyone to leave. More than likely this will result in filling in the what used to be a small mud hole, that turned into a large slip and slide, so that a repeat will not happen.

night rain washed some of it off, but here's a pic of what was done.

View attachment 44879

i agree with you on this. it sucks that people have no regard for how hard many of the members of our club, and others in similar units, work their butts off to maintain and take their own personal time and money away from their families to keep our wheeling places open and up to date. it was a great weekend to wheel and raise money for a wonderful cause.

The wife & I had great time!!! Thanks to Rock Corps & American cancer society for putting this on:beer:....I also have some gopro video of the hill climb race,try get them up soon.

If anyone has pictures they wouldn't mind sharing with me, please do. I am normally the one with the camera in hand for everything but I would have only been able to get pictures of people buying shirts or raffle tickets. Wouldn't change it for the world but I would like to see the action.

There were four rigs asked to leave. ...

This is the same reason we did away with the mud pits at The Farm. Seems it was always a few drunken assholes in two wheel drives that were the worst offenders! (maybe... "4x4 envy"??!:rolleyes:)

Glad it was handled and the event was none the less spectacular!

Yup had a good time at the flats first time we had ever been.went to the upper campground yesterday afternoon when I seen the guys throwing mud on the port a johns it was disappointing even when I asked if they were going to wash them it was like they didn't care,this is why we have places to close,we broke one rig so we just wheeled in the Sammy had a blast

Had a grand time at yet another wonderful event at The Flats...I do admit I teared up a couple of times, heard some stories that touched me. I am just lucky to still be here and enjoy what I do have. I will keep praying for all who has been through any type of cancer, it is a tough road! And yes I won a ECORS T-shirt in the raffle which I love but even better to have fun doing a raffle for a great cause.
I did beat "Pinky" pretty hard this weekend and it was sooooooo much fun!!! :)
Thanks to all of you for all your hard work, it was a awesome event!!!

Wondering if it was the ones that went up the hills to the top on the worst one in a 2 wheel small pick up? I saw them and they were about to flip side ways down the hill then some of them jumped in the bed to give more weight to try to get up it. I immediately ran over there and told them to get out and got Paul to pull them up the hill....DO NOT ENTER a bed of a truck when about to roll.......Anyway, all was good Badass and Badass Too to the rescue....lol
And Ol' Jeeps is correct about the mud pits.....Bad news in my opinion....
It was a awesome event though, I had a blast!!! Props to all of you involved.

I had an aawesome time, big thanks to John and michelle, and the American Cancer society for this event. All of you and all the volunteers did a great job. The weather was great and the turnout was huge.

had a blast at the event... my brothers rig broke and he was towing so we headed out saturday evening. I had a blast on my trucks maiden run, nothing broke, and it didnt kill me either. I count that as a success.

The best weekend I`ve ever had!!!
I hope they made a ton of $$ for the Cancer society.
And yes the porta potties where a whole lot worse before the rain.
And we watched first hand .
Thanks for keeping it safe.
We did learn that rotted body mounts and daylight under all 4 tires don`t mix.

Attachments

• PICT4290.JPG
    PICT4290.JPG
    230.2 KB · Views: 302
  • PICT4320.JPG
    PICT4320.JPG
    187.8 KB · Views: 275
had a great time. i hope that we had an awesome impact for the cure of cancer.

Me on easy street stuck on log with some great guys trying to help rock me off the log thanks

Attachments

• imagejpeg_2_31.jpg
    imagejpeg_2_31.jpg
    214.8 KB · Views: 313
  • imagejpeg_2_31.jpg
    imagejpeg_2_31.jpg
    214.8 KB · Views: 367
Thanks to Rock Corps for putting on this event. Means alot to support such a worthy cause that touches so many families. Special thanks to Chris Coley for charging my daughter's Barbie Jeep all nite with his (well Chip's :D) ... (& Chris' gas) generator...no other reason....and for the heads up on the trailer flat as we were headed out....Now that's the kinda folks I like watchin' out for the other guy. You guys are the Best...my daughter even rode to the top of the mountain last nite and called her mom at home to tell her the Luminaries spelled "HOPE". Just overwhelmed with the turnout & Great People in attendance...didn't witness the mud slinging..but heard it was dealt with. Also thanks to Kenny for carrying over his leftover firewood as they were leaving Sat. nite. Made my daughters nite to have that campfire.
Again...can't say enough about the folks I have been surrounded by at these events. Thanks!!

Had a great time at the flats this weekend. We wheel as a family with friends and this weekend was our first time as a family trip. We commend you for sticking to your guns on the four rigs that were asked to leave and keeping it fun and safe for the rest of us.

I hope these pictures don't turn out too large, I'm still new to this uploading pictures onto the forums using a PC.. hah! This weekend was so much fun, thanks to everyone who was hosting the event and I look forward to the next one. Most fun I've had in months!

Attachments

• 100_0666.JPG
    100_0666.JPG
    175.9 KB · Views: 331
  • 100_0679.JPG
    100_0679.JPG
    249.2 KB · Views: 319
  • 100_0680.JPG
    100_0680.JPG
    226.3 KB · Views: 311
  • 100_0685.JPG
    100_0685.JPG