April 20th 2013 Workday

Daniel seems to be the 'need of the hour'. We need to begin fixing a lot of the spider trails. Looks to be the biggest issue to me.

I'd love to see some signs posted to stay on trail. Only violators I saw were bikes/quads. I'd love to have a way to kick them out

We are going to need to hit up daniel with a vengence, the trail is coverd in bypasses, even down at the mud lane on the back side there are spider trails all over the place. Also slabpile was a mess as well, Trash was at a minimum at the whole place though, I think Shawn was the only one in our group to find a bunch of trash in one place.

I completely agree, I'm not sure if anybody notice but I marked some spots I saw that needed to be blocked with blue tape. Daniel is seeing a lot more traffic now than ever and if we don't get on top of this now we are gonna be shit out of luck.

Sent from my mobile Toyota base using Tapatalk

Trash was at a minimum at the whole place though, I think Shawn was the only one in our group to find a bunch of trash in one place.
Before riding later in the day w/ Zack, Nicholai and I went and picked up a lot of trash at the Falls Dam camping spots. Met a couple of folks down in URE for the first time from northern New York state on Tuesday. They were astonished by the amount of trash on the trails. They said they had never seen trails that dirty wheeling up there.

Thanks Shawn for trying to put it back in place. As you can imagine it wasn't easy to get it where we had it blocking both access points to the lower part of the bypass which is why it pissed me off to hear that someone thought it was the appropriate thing to move it out of their way.

If the FS has other planes for the official workday, I propose we hit Daniel on our own when we are done with what the FS wants/needs us to do. I will stay and work on Sunday as well if needed to try and get some of these major issues resolved.

Thoughts...

If the FS has other planes for the official workday, I propose we hit Daniel on our own when we are done with what the FS wants/needs us to do. I will stay and work on Sunday as well if needed to try and get some of these major issues resolved.

Thoughts...

Even if there are other plans if its been like other work days when they call it quits at 3 there's still a good bit of day light left. I'm down to put in a fills day work on Daniel. I'm sure tomorrow at the fou meeting we can figure out a direction for the workday.

Even if there are other plans if its been like other work days when they call it quits at 3 there's still a good bit of day light left. I'm down to put in a fills day work on Daniel. I'm sure tomorrow at the fou meeting we can figure out a direction for the workday.

I am suppose to talk to Terry today and i will update her on these ideas and see what she says. Len has the right idea workdays or work afternoons can happen any time, just remember to log in your hours with the FS.

Snappy will post up later and elaborate, Daniel will be the priority on sat. There are going to be many tasks other than daniel also.

Redneck92 and goofy call me 828 855 618one

There are going to be a few groups out there. And yes Daniel is a big part of it. RML is also another big one along with some other things. The biggest thing we need is a big showing of people.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Ok guys got an Email from Terry

Key items to be adressed....

Remove split rail and gaurd rail from Rocky Mount for contractors to install perm wooden fence.... Group will be lead by Charles aka Broncosbybart

Daniel trail bypass blockages....lead by Jason W

Straw Bales in tail ditches near streams along OHV trails..... JC and atleast one other rig will be droping bales

Slab Pile bypasses... Need vol group for this

Falls Damn bypasses.... Need Vol Group for this

Install Orange diamnonds on Trails.

Bypasses should be blocked with Slash(already dead and downed trees and brush)

I will be starting a second thread with a roll call and update on list on groups and who will be helping who. I want this to be the most organized work day in a while. I will be set up cooking lunch for you guys with a master list of task, we will have back up items if people get done or more people show than are needed for the main tasks.

I've been so busy I haven't been on in a few days. Just got caught up on this thread. I took the first week off and camped at Uwharrie for 5 days. I was astonished to see how much trash was on the trails. It kills me that people act this way! Daniel does need immediate attention.
Me and cody spent some time blocking an illegal trail on Dickey Bell as well as a few other random ones. We also spoke with Snappy and the Canadian (don't know you name but your "Canadian" in my head cause that's how I first met you lol) at the outpost, we put blue tape to mark places too.

I will be coming with my TJ with a winch. I have several friends coming as well, possibly 5. I know my way around and can confidently lead a crew and use natural surrounding to block illegal trails or whatever takes priority if this sounds like a good idea and anyone's interested. Just throwing it out as an option. Either way I'm coming and ready to work! We need to make this work day count to show what we as volunteers are capable of.
I hate to hear that people traveled from NY to see our trails and were disappointed because of bunch of idiots throwing beer cans and everything else out on the trail!

This is the email from Terry

Hi Everyone – This year has been a whirlwind already! I appreciate everyone’s help and I’ve talked to several of you recently trying to coordinate this upcoming work day and to come up with a better way to get the work done and organized. We’ll keep things going as best we can. If anyone that is chainsaw certified is coming up please bring your gear and let me know if you need anything like chaps, ear plugs, etc. & I’ll bring them but you need to let me know in time.

For this upcoming work day, April 20th , these are the overall projects to work on depending on how many people show up: Install straw bales in tail ditches near streams along all OHV trails, remove split rail fencing and guardrail on Rocky Mountain Loop Trail in preparation for a contractor that will be replacing these with our wooden guiderail fencing (the type we have around the trailheads), prune back shrubs & branches along trail, block off illegal bypasses on Daniel Trail & Slab Pile Trail & Falls Dam Trail with slash, already dead and downed trees, install orange diamonds and arrows on trails.

Plan on meeting me at Uwharrie Hunt Camp at 9 am. If anyone has trail trailers or trailers or pickup trucks we can use to haul the straw from Arrowhead Campground out to the trails for people to take onto the trails to put the straw bales on the trails - please bring them. Bring hammers, loppers, clippers, sledge hammers, shovels, socket sets and wrenches, chainsaws and protective equipment if you’re certified, lunch and water. Make sure to bring / wear work boots, work gloves, and appropriate work clothes.

Where are the bypasses on Falls Dam and Slab Pile that she's talking about?

I know the big one on Falls Dam. It is back behind the new parking lot. Not Art Lilley but the parking lot on the other end. If you go up the trail going toward Soup Bowl from that parking lot it will be on the left hand side about 300 meters down the trail. It has some old split rail fencing up but has been torn down for camping. Back behind the camping they have a good sized trail going a way back up in there.

There are several narrow track small spider trails/bypasses on falls dam and slab pile. Some of the ones I saw last week look fairly new and don't jump out at you like some of the older ones so should be easy to recover.

Okay. The biggest problem right now with Daniel is that they had a burn down there on the bottom side, so there isn't really any small stuff to round up and use to "reclaim" spider trails. Still plenty of 4-10" dead fall, though.

Friday evening I am going to check the sides of the road on cottonplace leading to the daniel trail head for any nice fallen trees on the edege, we can drag them in if neccesary.

Just a safety check here , If you dont have a mat to put across steel winch cable during operation, bring a chunky blanket or large old floor mat to lay across the cable. Lets not cut anyone in half!

Looking like we're gonna get pounded with some rain Friday. Gonna be slick out there!

Back