April 20th 2013 Workday

Working on the sauce!!!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366335910.506414.jpg

How hard is the rain up there right now ?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

That's what Chris just said on the phone.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

It's not bad right now me, Zack and Jason are bout to go hit Daniel.

Edit: nvm it's rainin good here

Sent from my mobile Toyota base using Tapatalk

We had a great time helping this weekend and meeting some new people. I believe we will become more active in the work days from now on as we have seen it is a much needed service to keep the trails open for future generations. Any clubs that are supporters of the cause shoot me a pm with membership opertunities. Again thank you to all that came out.

dang right we had a good time.The silt retention crews put out nearly 100 bales of straw and that really didn't scratch the surface.A few places that we did were also illegal trail entrances so they got a psuedo blockage.Found out quick that my M416 won't carry enough straw.Only 12 bales at the time.The tools,stakes,water kegs,and the two young limber colledge students is all that trailer wants to haul.Put a crew or two ahead of us putting out the bales while we place them/nail em down and we can cover a lot more terratory.The dinner was excellent and shoot,didn't even get heart burn with 2 bowls down my gizzard.I will be doing this again.

Thanks to everyone that can out! We got ALOT of stuff done. It was nice to be off and gone from hunt camp by 20 after! The crews came in for lunch around 1(all but Mike and Jason that is) for some grub. We had a few crews that wanted to finish up and some stayed until 6:15 on Daniel blocking bypasses.

We had a blast when i finally got to get my hands dirty and work some. If you stayed and worked after 2 look for a new thread and log your hours in so i can get them to the forrest service please. So i have to ask, how can we improve the work days???

Sorry I didn't make it we didn't get done splitting wood until like 2.....I felt terrible I didn't make it. But if anyone is heading up there next weekend to do anything I am available.

Sent from my zombie assault vechicle using a ham radio

Great work day! We rode up Daniel to check out the handiwork there, I hope that will do the trick for a while. We also rode out Dicky Bell and counted 86 tail ditches that still need hay bales. We did see a few with 3 or 4 bales, so I don't know if they all need that many or if some are wider than others... Hopefully someone knows better than me to estimate bales needed.

We blocked a bypass where atvs are crossing onto a horse trail but there were several others that need to be blocked.

the way I did the bales was from one side to another,kind of rounded or hooked to catch the water and slow it down.Then we worked dirt up around the bottom edge and on both ends to make sure the water passed through and not just under the bales.I found 3 bales the norm with the cut that was made.If the cut could be made narrower,less bales needed.So if you figure each cut at 3 bales and 3 stobs,that should give you a close number to go by.Again,if I can get a crew or two ahead of me dumping bales and stobs off,I can get more done.Next time I'll also eat lunch on the trails instead of coming out.

the way I did the bales was from one side to another,kind of rounded or hooked to catch the water and slow it down.Then we worked dirt up around the bottom edge and on both ends to make sure the water passed through and not just under the bales.I found 3 bales the norm with the cut that was made.If the cut could be made narrower,less bales needed.So if you figure each cut at 3 bales and 3 stobs,that should give you a close number to go by.Again,if I can get a crew or two ahead of me dumping bales and stobs off,I can get more done.Next time I'll also eat lunch on the trails instead of coming out.
We can arrange this and food to be be droped off to the guys in the field!

We worked our buts off on daniel till 6.15, Thanks to all that came out. Highly motivated crew out there!
Yup, had an awesome day out there and was glad to put the K5 to work hauling some logs. Big thanks to Snappy and all the helpers who made lunch possible. It's awesome to have a hot meal during the workdays.

I had a great time Sat; seeing old friends, meeting new ones, enjoying good conversation and superb spaghetti.
And I was proud to use WOODGO to haul and help put out the bales for Jimmy and crew to secure.
But--my contributon was nothing compared to the crew that I worked with: Joe, Jen, and Kristen were terrific companions and excellent at unloading and placing the bales, plus staking initially, as we worked until we ran out of supplies first on Falls Dam and then Dickey Bell.
I'd do it again.
(I'm sorry about the original misspelling of your names if you've already read this.)

Last edited:
So i have to ask, how can we improve the work days???
I think the work day went great. A lot was accomplished, but there is a lot more left to do.

This is an echo of what some folks have said and I agree. When a meal is provided, I think we could utilize our time better if we fed ourselves lunch and then gathered at the end of the day for dinner. This way folks wouldn't have to stop and head in to a central location in the middle of the workday and then have to head back out to where they were before lunch. We are all used to eating on the trails and I think we would have enjoyed the great food you and the ladies prepared more if it was after the work was done for the day.

Every crew needs some diamonds to mark the trail in areas that are questionable.

The use of "DO NOT ENTER" tape in addition to fallen trees will help keep people off illegal bypasses as well as a easy way to block an area quickly when materials are not available. It is also easily removed later when not needed etc.

There are two trailers available at Arrowhead to haul hay bales etc that were untapped. There are only 11 bales left at arrowhead, we need 200+ just to finish Dicky Bell not to mention the rest of the trails

Every crew should have some literature to hand out to the uninformed about tread lightly and trail rules to help foster responsible stewardship of the trails.

Another thing I know I heard Xenia mention was getting all the OHV work days on the calendar but also getting the work days for other groups, the horse folks and hikers, etc., on the calendar so people can help when they have a free weekend, even if it isn't an OHV work day.

Another thing I know I heard Xenia mention was getting all the OHV work days on the calendar but also getting the work days for other groups, the horse folks and hikers, etc., on the calendar so people can help when they have a free weekend, even if it isn't an OHV work day.
There was talk of this going on the FOU board, but would be awesome on this one also.

Also, I think we tentatively planned a workday for April 25th for the ones that couldn't make it the weekend of the 17th. I think the earlier we plan the dates, people can mark calendars and better plan.

Back