Automotive bubble....has it burst?

not yet...i can't find $1000 project cars like the good ol days!
Sure you can. They cost $2500 now.
I have bought, fixed and flipped ZJs, XJs and WJs for 20 years. The ones I used to buy for $1k-$2k now cost $3-$5k.
But they sell for prportionally more $$$.

so yea....like i said....can't find the $1000 project cars anymore

what if I don't want to sell?

i need the bubble to burst.
So yeah...like I said... you won't find them anymore. Those days are gone. Along with numerous other items that simply have a higher cost now.
Once the bubble bursts, do you expect to see MORE $1000 project cars? Nope, they're gonna be worth even more since more folks will theoretically need cheap cars.

So yeah...like I said... you won't find them anymore. Those days are gone. Along with numerous other items that simply have a higher cost now.
Once the bubble bursts, do you expect to see MORE $1000 project cars? Nope, they're gonna be worth even more since more folks will theoretically need cheap cars.
I wonder if we will ever see another cash for clunkers scam? I might need to buy some obscure property and start filling it with ZJs WJs and XJs :D

these beat to death XJs, FJs, MJs, e36, OBS chevys, Dentside fords, CJs, that are sinking into peoples back yards are not gonna be DDs for people

they are also owned by deranged individuals who spend too much time on BaT and ebay

these crazies are out there 'asking' $10k for square body 4*4 chevys with no drivetrain and missing hoods......i call that a bubble

junk is sitting at $5k......i'm waiting....

I wonder if we will ever see another cash for clunkers scam? I might need to buy some obscure property and start filling it with ZJs WJs and XJs :D
That was going on when I was at the dealership. It was heartbreaking having to seize up so many engines in perfectly good vehicles. Also they put people into debt and payments who otherwise would never have considered it.
There are so many layers to the downside of cash for clunkers.

Last edited:
That was going on when I was at the dealership. It was heartbreaking having to seize up so many engines in perfectly good vehicles. Also they can put people into debt and payments who otherwise would never have considered it.
Man my grandparents traded in like a 30k mile mint v8 exploder for a Sentra. We tried to tell them it was a scam. The dealers made out like bandits

Soooo... has the automotive bubble burst yet?
No, but it is leaking. Like others said, it will probably not burst, but it certainly is shrinking itself down to a more manageable point.

No, but it is leaking. Like others said, it will probably not burst, but it certainly is shrinking itself down to a more manageable point.
I agree my son wants a newish truck but used are still almost what new is. He plans to wait a little longer per my advice and see if interest drops some and what nut is in charge in a few months.

Yes, but it will be called Cash for ICE. The government will push it to get more people to buy EVs

That was going on when I was at the dealership. It was heartbreaking having to seize up so many engines in perfectly good vehicles. Also they can put people into debt and payments who otherwise would never have considered it.
I specifically remember seeing H3 hummer as a candidate vehicle for the credit :shaking:

Pick and pulls were loaded with XJs for years after that.

these beat to death XJs, FJs, MJs, e36, OBS chevys, Dentside fords, CJs, that are sinking into peoples back yards are not gonna be DDs for people

they are also owned by deranged individuals who spend too much time on BaT and ebay

these crazies are out there 'asking' $10k for square body 4*4 chevys with no drivetrain and missing hoods......i call that a bubble

junk is sitting at $5k......i'm waiting....

AKA "inflation".
Prices do not go back down. If they do, there is a much bigger problem.

Problem with that one for me as a flipper (we all see project vehicle definition differently) is it is a shit box. Great for a young adult to buy, take wheeling and trash for some cool social media points. But you won't buy it to fix up, freshen up and sell as a first vehicle, back up vehicle or the like.
If someone wants a beater to wheel, well there ya go.

Problem with that one for me as a flipper (we all see project vehicle definition differently) is it is a shit box. Great for a young adult to buy, take wheeling and trash for some cool social media points. But you won't buy it to fix up, freshen up and sell as a first vehicle, back up vehicle or the like.
If someone wants a beater to wheel, well there ya go.
Yep. I’d make something like that street worthy enough to not leave me stranded, but shitty enough to go beat on. That wouldn’t be flipper for sure.

Since yall are crawling FB for XJs anyway apparently :laughing:, if anybody sees a decent deal on a manual trans ZJ or 97+ XJ in reasonably good shape, let me know.

Last edited:
That's what you call a parts cheap. You buy it for 300 bucks. Keep the axles and scrap the rest.
The front axle is a HP30 so yea. The rear being a 35 is useless. I agree on the price though.
I never knew this. They seized up the motors? What was the process?
I saw a video somewhere that they pored something in the valve cover and ran it.

Back