Best years of Suburban/Yukon XL 2500 4x4

So, ASSuming I check the oil @ fill-ups (which would be often w/ an 8.1) - it would be a decent mild towpig?

GMT900 thoughts:

6.0 with nothing on the roof and not towing:
16.5mpg at 65
15mpg at 75
12mpg at 85
Subtract two points if there's stuff on the roof.

The fuel capacity is supposed to be 39 gallons. Typical refuel is 33 gallons. I've never gotten more than about 36 in it, even after running empty.

Agreed on the 6 speed trans. I wish 5th and 6th were closer, but no complaints other than that.

The motor is fine. I think it's ~350hp/350tq or thereabouts. It would be better with more. More cam would be a good starting point. No cylinder deactivation like the 5.3.

The rear axle is a FF 14 with discs, likely with a gov lock, mounted on leaves. No complaints there.

The interior.... these trucks went to market as GM was going out of business. There aren't any fancy cubby holes or hidey places or nice finishes. If you've had a GM car from the 80s, you pretty much know what to expect. They're kind of dinosaurs in a way. That's good and bad.

The factory fog lights are entirely useless. Headlights are good. The cluster doesn't get dark enough.

It's predictable in dirt and snow. The rear end will step out at speed, but it's slow and controllable. Front tie rods are weak and prone to bending. The air dam on the front bumper is very low and will hit on all sorts of things.

Note: edited mpgs, I think I was a little pessimistic at first.

Last edited:
Oh, and the steering wheel is at least 1.5" off center to the right.

The interior.... these trucks went to market as GM was going out of business. There aren't any fancy cubby holes or hidey places or nice finishes. If you've had a GM car from the 80s, you pretty much know what to expect. They're kind of dinosaurs in a way. That's good and bad.
yeah it’s weird those early 00s in the Tahoe and a Burban had some really neat and luxe interiors for what they were. Hen thwy regressed around bailout time to stay afloat and didn’t really fix it until the re build in 15/16 and went way too far the other way where they are 70k sticker..

I still think the 01 Tahoe and Yukon we had were the most comfortable seats and best quality real leather I’ve ever had in a car interior

I just had the seats on my 02 reupholstered. It's amazing. Totally worth it. Better than anything you can buy new now.

I love my GMT800s

I hate my 2013, I will sell it to you for $29k :laughing:

Shit my is for sale for half that...of course it’s a half ton 5.3
I was just messing around, I love mine and don’t plan on selling but... if some one hands me that kind of cash I could be tempted haha

I have seen some 2018 3500 burbs for sale to the public at a local dealer. "Pre-owned with 600mi". Extremely rare occurence though, I agree.

I have a 8.1 and it doesn't make that much power. I'd be curious to try your 2020 for comparison.

Mine doesn't burn any. I guess I'm lucky.

as far as torque feel the 8.1 definitely felt more upfront. granted both engines weren't designed and geared for "speed" couldn't tell you which felt faster but the 8.1 defiantly felt like it had more down low grunt

Holy hell...was this a test vehicle parked at the gun range and used to practice quick deployment?

26k mileage but @77GreenMachine .5Mil mile truck seats look better

bs.JPG
fs.JPG

bet those seats were takne out upon delivery, lived in a warehouse and been slid around for 9 years and now back in.
That or they had multi sets and this pair didnt really belong with this truck.

the cloth front and vinyl rear would set my tourettes ticking and Id crash into a culvert

Our 2011 that is ex customs and border protection had cloth front and vinyl rear. weird combos on these fleet ones. I wonder if these have the 1/4” steel skid plate like ours.
Yeah every ex popo tahoe and burb I've looked at had the cloth/Pleather combos

I wonder if these have the 1/4” steel skid plate like ours.
Yeah, this one does. It's cleaner than the Carmax one, too.

That place in Madison has several that look like ex-DHS or LEO, varying years but the condition is similar on all. Asia Motors and Chicago Motors have a bunch (as usual), but not local.

Yeah, this one does. It's cleaner than the Carmax one, too.

That place in Madison has several that look like ex-DHS or LEO, varying years but the condition is similar on all. Asia Motors and Chicago Motors have a bunch (as usual), but not local.
Asia motors/Chicago motors were bidding online at one we were checking out at auction in Richmond. ‘13, silver, 43k miles, they pushed price to up 37k. Local guy got it for 37,5, and turned around and advertised it at his dealership for $43k!!!!!! The first bid was above our max haha

I've looked at that one repeatedly...wonder how many hours the low mileage motor has?

The rear seats are interesting...they have another 2500 that looks like someone died on the back of the rear seat.

I've looked at that one repeatedly...wonder how many hours the low mileage motor has?
It all depends on how they were used. Oftentimes, the black ones with (p)leather interiors sat in a garage in Arlington for most of their lives. If you look at the Carfax, it's a bunch of trips to the dealership for dead batteries.

I've always wondered for you guys wanting a 3/4 ton suburban, how about an express van? They seem like a HUGE bang for buck deal out there. Kinda like a hidden gem. Same drivetrain and more room inside.

I've always wondered for you guys wanting a 3/4 ton suburban, how about an express van? They seem like a HUGE bang for buck deal out there. Kinda like a hidden gem. Same drivetrain and more room inside.

Missing a key element (front axle)

And not worth trying to add one

@CasterTroy is right, if I had a dollar for every time I got our Express van stuck I could afford a Quigley conversion van.

Back