Bought a Jeep yesterday.... NEVER trust a garage!!!!

Blue70

Well I bought car #52 yesterday...
1999 Grand Cherokee Limited
For $500!!!! NOTHING wrong with it!!!
Check out the photos at the bottom of the page..

One word of advice to you all....
NEVER trust a garage you don't know!!!

OK.. Here'e the story if you're interested

Found the Jeep on Craigslist, said it needed a radiator, I went and looked at it (it was at a garage)

Garage where the Jeep was parked said that it needed a fan, radiator, and lower radiator hose..
They said the electric fan broke, and that caused it to overheat and blow the radiator and lower hose

So I went and picked all those parts up and drove the Jeep across the street into a Books-a-Million
parking lot to repair it... I noticed the fan was un plugged, so just for giggles I took some wire and
jumped it over to the battery, and it worked.. they said it needed a new one.. hummm #1

SO.. I look at the lower hose, and can't find where it was split, so I decided to fill the radiator to see
where the leak in that was, and it was 3/4 full.. if the lower hose had burst it should have drained out...
hummmm #2

Look around and did not see a leak in the radiator... hummm #3

Jeeps have a bleeder for the coolant at the high point in the system, so I cracked that and let a bunch of
air out and topped off the radiator and overflow tank.. Then I drove it around the parking lot for 20 min,
and then let it sit and idle for 20 min and the temp never went over 205.. and I saw no leaks
WTF...

The guy had said the upper radiator hose split and he replaced it himself, I am thinking that's when his problems
started, I'm guessing that he did not bleed the air out of the system with the bleeder, which caused an
air pocket in the system causing it to overheat and boil over.. he then towed it to the garage...
That tried to SCREW him!!!!

I drove it home, and drove it to work today... no leaks and no overheating, the thing is nice
Nice Leather heated seats, dual zone automatic temp control, sunroof/moonroof,
Jeep 10 disk CD changer, memory seats, towing package, etc...
also that V8 is pretty quick, and it's got a 5speed auto in it...

Not a bad deal for $500... to bad I spent another 240 in parts that I didn't need.. GRRRRRR

WJ1.jpg

WJ3.jpg

WJI.jpg

WJ2.jpg

yeah, I never can tell whether a lot of garages are straight up crooked, or just really dumb.
I bought a Beetle a few years back for $250 that the local VW specialty shop had sworn up and down that it needed a complete engine rebuild because it had no compression...
well, after 30 minutes to retorque the heads, adjust the valves, and correctly set the timing, it ran perfectly...I even tried to fix it for the owner so they could keep it, but by then he was just DONE with it...
so yeah, learn to fix, or at least properly diagnose, your own stuff...

So what you're saying is you got the base for your build a beater at the uwharrie race?
:D

:tongue:

My wife kind of likes it, and may take it over..
If she does, It'll just get a small 2.5" lift or so with some 31.5s
Here in Wilmington we don't have anything other than sand,
My wife like to drive out onto the beach..

I miss the woods, hills, and rocks back home :(

i'm so broke right now it's not even funny and no matter how hard i look i can't find a good deal on a vehicle to save my life... ugh... lucky bastard!

as-is? i've got my title right here beside me...

i broke the ignition two days ago, the tranny is slipping and the rear springs are shot...

got another tranny and ignition, but i'm mad at her right now so she's parked for a week in time-out... in the mean time, i'm trying to find a daily driver since i gotta stop driving the jeep every day and a part of me tells me it's time to sell....

but i'm mad at her right now so she's parked for a week in time-out

Should the Jeep be in time-out for a week because it broke, or should you be in time out for a week for breaking your DD? :D

I'll give you $1000 cash for it right now. Cash in hand!

So, who did you buy this from, the owner or the shop. Also who is this tool that would sell you this for the same amount that would take to fix it. Even if it needed a motor, it would be worth fixing. Just curious.

I have a roof leak on my house, I need $3k worth of shingles, think Ill sell for $2 since I cant afford the shingles. WTF!!

yea i'd love to know what shop employs idiots, hehe

-Erik <--- should be in time-out for breaking his DD... i'm buying an Astro Van!

Back