Bourbon

If y’all ever get down to TX grab one of these. Love this one.
IMG_6688.jpeg

Found a place in Ga that is regularly stocked with buffalo trace and eagle rare :bounce:
Did a little hunting this weekend and no joke passed on BT in no less than 7 stores.
Including Hendersonville and Tryon (close to you)

Did a little hunting this weekend and no joke passed on BT in no less than 7 stores.
Including Hendersonville and Tryon (close to you)

BT and eagle rare are my favorite. but i have not experienced a wide variety. whenever i look for them in aville, they are always gone or they cant remember the last time it was in stock

When i try a new bourbon, I pick one that isnt "on sale", has a cool label, and is not the highest inventory one on the shelf. Lmao Otherwise i head in to buy one specifically praised in some tiktok video etc

but at what price?

Me and @No fries visited a nice place last weekend but...everything was museum priced

IMG_8779.jpeg
IMG_8778.jpeg
IMG_8777.jpeg
IMG_8775.jpeg
IMG_8776.jpeg

What should be the top 10 bottles i should keep an eye out for ($150 or less per bottle) - to try and experience?

I am a fan of old forester, BT, eagle rare. had a small batch Noahs Mill that i loved awhile back. Havent found it since. I liked Michters pretty good.
Ill like old forester better than evan williams. Makers doesnt get me up. Woodford tastes like airport terminals.

What should be the top 10 bottles i should keep an eye out for ($150 or less per bottle) - to try and experience?

I am a fan of old forester, BT, eagle rare. had a small batch Noahs Mill that i loved awhile back. Havent found it since. I liked Michters pretty good.
Ill like old forester better than evan williams. Makers doesnt get me up. Woodford tastes like airport terminals.

Sub-$150, I always have a bottle or 10 the following:

1) Clyde May's
2) Eagle Rare
3) Blanton's
4) Buffalo Trace
5) Penelope (white label)
6) Bibb & Tucker
7) Willett Pot Still
8) Heaven Hill Bottled in Bond
9) Henry McKenna Bottled in Bond
10) Blue Run (relatively new, but I think I like all their offerings)

All of those, you should be able to find relatively easily and are all under $100 in NC. Outside of NC, they may start pushing the $150 mark.

IMG_8863.jpeg

$150/less retail there’s a ton.
that’s an interesting pour! Toasted Michter’s products are always good.

Sub-$150, I always have a bottle or 10 the following:

1) Clyde May's
2) Eagle Rare
3) Blanton's
4) Buffalo Trace
5) Penelope (white label)
6) Bibb & Tucker
7) Willett Pot Still
8) Heaven Hill Bottled in Bond
9) Henry McKenna Bottled in Bond
10) Blue Run (relatively new, but I think I like all their offerings)

All of those, you should be able to find relatively easily and are all under $100 in NC. Outside of NC, they may start pushing the $150 mark.
All of those can be found for under $100 around me but if you're strictly talking price vs what you get, nothing will beat Eagle Rare at $45/bottle. Just my opinion.

All of those can be found for under $100 around me but if you're strictly talking price vs what you get, nothing will beat Eagle Rare at $45/bottle. Just my opinion.

Only one I’d potentially counter with would be the Willett pot still at $36. Clyde is up there for me because locally there’s always 10+ bottles on the shelf, and it’s a better pour IMO than the makers/woodford/any other basic bar setting top shelf whiskey. But ER is definitely a top 2 for me.

Only one I’d potentially counter with would be the Willett pot still at $36. Clyde is up there for me because locally there’s always 10+ bottles on the shelf, and it’s a better pour IMO than the makers/woodford/any other basic bar setting top shelf whiskey. But ER is definitely a top 2 for me.
Pot Still is one of my favorites!

Man I just can’t get into pot still. Been a while since I had it but to me it’s just meh. Nothing stands out about it. But that’s why they make so many different bourbons! We all like something different.

My go to cheap bottle is stagg. It’s definitely harder to find, but MSRP in NC is still $50 and I love it.

Man I just can’t get into pot still. Been a while since I had it but to me it’s just meh. Nothing stands out about it. But that’s why they make so many different bourbons! We all like something different.

My go to cheap bottle is stagg. It’s definitely harder to find, but MSRP in NC is still $50 and I love it.
Pot still is a beautiful bottle with rotten juice inside. Hate it.

Love love love Stagg (jr) haven’t seen a bottle in store under 250 in years.

It’s a bottle I’ll pay 100 for all day everyday.

I’ll like old forester better than evan williams. Makers doesnt get me up. Woodford tastes like airport terminals.
Do you follow Asheville ABC on Facebook?
If not, you should. They do announced drops and lotteries if you didn’t know that.

To actually answer your question… I love this bottle. $75
IMG_6708.jpeg

I’m also a huge 4 roses fan…. The small batch select is great at $60.

Do you follow Asheville ABC on Facebook?
If not, you should. They do announced drops and lotteries if you didn’t know that.

I’m also a huge 4 roses fan…. The small batch select is great at $60.
^^^^^ 4 Roses Small Batch and Select!! This this has been my go to since I can't find EW single barrel anymore on the shelves.

Had stayed away from 4 Roses since I had a major hangover years ago but I think it was the bottle of Woodford we killed before cracking open the 4 Roses that did it.

To weigh in on the beginner selection crowd...

There are so many varieties out there and brands now that you almost have to just selectively narrow your vision.
Ive seen 4 roses mentioned a few times - to me 4r and Makers Mark fall in the same category of too sweet. I dont hate either, but they arent my preferred tasting notes.

Also within brands there are wildly different flavor profiles.

You mentioned Old Forester which is a great example. On top of the more sought after versions I keep 1910, 1920 and Statesman on hand nearly at all times.
1910 is a heavy oak - its a better version of woodford double oak to me. (WDO is a very good attainable bottle and a great entry to test your appetite for oak)
1920 - ups the proof a tad and gets a bit more of the intense flavor and pulls a little spice into the pallet. I've turned into a bit of a proof head of late...again an excellent gateway to up proofed bourbons
Statesman is a utility player that doesnt master anything but Ive never heard anyone dislike it.

Moving away from the OL lineup...
Bakers 107 - is again very attainable and tasty. Though it leans a bit on the Beam peanut profile...Im still a fan

A nice taste lineup is Russel Reserve 10, Russel Reserve single barrel, Wild Turkey rare Breed and Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit. - All 4 will be well under $80/each and on every store shelf you walk in. They all originate from the same lineage but have significant subtle differences ...to let you figure out if you like the wild turkey lineup. (if you happen to stumble across a RR13 you should know that it is horrible, horrible dreck. However you should always buy it upon sight and then call me and Ill prevent you having to drink it :D)

For me, the propaganda around Buffalo Trace Distillery has turned me off. While I am still a huge fan of Stagg and find Blanton's to be perfectly fine - the hysteria around it makes me avoid it. Its kinda like ducks on a jeep to me.

I always end up back at Heaven Hill. Evan Williams or Henry McKenna are my mixer of choice. Elijah Craig is what I am ordering at a typical restaurant or hotel bar. HM10 and HHBib7 punch well above their cost point. Mellow Corn is a cult icon...though its kinda meh if I am honest....but Larceny Barrel Proof and Elijah Craig barrel proof are probably my two most common pours. (Even though EC18 remains the single most disappointing bottles Ive ever bought)

Off to work now.

To weigh in on the beginner selection crowd...

There are so many varieties out there and brands now that you almost have to just selectively narrow your vision.
Ive seen 4 roses mentioned a few times - to me 4r and Makers Mark fall in the same category of too sweet. I dont hate either, but they arent my preferred tasting notes.
I tend to gravitate towards the more mellow maybe sweeter side. I like the complexity of "spicier" and higher proof bourbons but I'll add a few drops of water or (Gasp) an ice cube to tone down the proof or "bite"
If I'm having a few I might move to a higher proof or spicier Rye after the 1st or second.
I don't care for an IPA beer either but like a Stout or Porter over a lager or Pilsner. if that has any bearing on how I like my Bourbons.
Also within brands there are wildly different flavor profiles.

You mentioned Old Forester which is a great example. On top of the more sought after versions I keep 1910, 1920 and Statesman on hand nearly at all times.
1910 is a heavy oak - its a better version of woodford double oak to me. (WDO is a very good attainable bottle and a great entry to test your appetite for oak)
1920 - ups the proof a tad and gets a bit more of the intense flavor and pulls a little spice into the pallet. I've turned into a bit of a proof head of late...again an excellent gateway to up proofed bourbons
Statesman is a utility player that doesnt master anything but Ive never heard anyone dislike it.
I like the 1920 better than the 10 and Statesmen was pretty good, WDO was pretty good but I think has more oak flavor than the 1910. (never tried them same time sided by side though)
Moving away from the OL lineup...
Bakers 107 - is again very attainable and tasty. Though it leans a bit on the Beam peanut profile...Im still a fan

A nice taste lineup is Russel Reserve 10, Russel Reserve single barrel, Wild Turkey rare Breed and Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit. - All 4 will be well under $80/each and on every store shelf you walk in. They all originate from the same lineage but have significant subtle differences ...to let you figure out if you like the wild turkey lineup. (if you happen to stumble across a RR13 you should know that it is horrible, horrible dreck. However you should always buy it upon sight and then call me and Ill prevent you having to drink it :D)
RR10 I like and that is always in the cabinet haven't tried the RR13 but I've heard others say it also is not worth the money. not a hard and fast rule but it seems to me anything over 12yrs really changes the flavor profiles, and if you are on a budget the added cost is not worth it. Though my pallet and taste has really changed each time after having Covid.
For me, the propaganda around Buffalo Trace Distillery has turned me off. While I am still a huge fan of Stagg and find Blanton's to be perfectly fine - the hysteria around it makes me avoid it. Its kinda like ducks on a jeep to me.

I always end up back at Heaven Hill. Evan Williams or Henry McKenna are my mixer of choice. Elijah Craig is what I am ordering at a typical restaurant or hotel bar. HM10 and HHBib7 punch well above their cost point. Mellow Corn is a cult icon...though its kinda meh if I am honest....but Larceny Barrel Proof and Elijah Craig barrel proof are probably my two most common pours. (Even though EC18 remains the single most disappointing bottles Ive ever bought)

Off to work now.
Breckenridge is another decent Bourbon I've had and wouldn't turn down for the money. Noting that, my budget and taste I've pretty much decided any bottle priced past the century mark hasn't impressed me enough to see its worth. Maybe it's my limited pallet or wallet but that is where I've fallen in the spectrum. I do like the hunt for rare hard to find but it's always fun to find a brown liquor that I like and can be found on the shelves for a reasonable price, that will always be there when I want.

Soo many choices and profiles I have yet to try it would be and is a self inflicted daunting task, to find that perfect Bourbon, this has affected me like wheeling has. But slightly more affordable at the moment.

the hysteria around it

This is probably the worst part of bourbon in general. It became the hipster cool thing for some reason about 5 years ago. The fratboi scotch, if you will. Blantons is the perfect example for me, not the end all be all, but was a good pour at a decent price when you could find the bottles with dust on the boxes. Now every body has to have a bottle so it's allocated and $150+ in non-ABC states. Pappy is another great example, I personally think it's trash, but some how you can't touch even their taint water 10yr for under a few hundred, the 25yr is $10k+. So you end up going down the path of finding something you like and it becomes the "it" bottle...then you can't get it anymore and/or the price quadruples. Then it'll get frustrating because you're spending $50-100/bottle just find out you don't like what you just purchased. So I've come full circle and my dailies are $35 bottles and if I find something cool, great...

Back