Camper remodel

That USB with volts is neat. I have not seen one of those before. It gives you actual voltage? I need that in the jeep.

That USB with volts is neat. I have not seen one of those before. It gives you actual voltage? I need that in the jeep.

Yes they are great. They read instantly and very accurately. @adamk and me noticed my alternator spiking back and forth, and was able to run back and put on a spare before being left stranded way out in Harlan. Then by the end of the weekend my spare also gave up but we caught it once again with this thing and high tailed it back.

Here you go buddy.

YONHAN Quick Charge 3.0 Dual USB... Amazon product ASIN B07FXH5ZZK

My whole body hurts, but I just keep going. I so badly want this to be over. I leave for Ohio Friday night and I’m trying to get as much done as possible. Maybe if I tire myself out enough I can get some sleep on the way there.
D495705B-2616-448E-8E06-D5BE9F2DA522.jpeg

The floor is 90% done. I ran out of flooring and energy. My knees are killing me. I made a few mistakes that would make a flooring guru cringe but don’t have enough care to do it over. I did flooring for a few months when I was 17 and it’s just wasn’t my thing, looks like it still ain’t.

But it’s good enough for the girls I date.

Kids bedding is done, 100% done.
Kitchen is 100% done.
Bedroom is 97% done, changing to outlets will finish it.

We also gave birth to a mattress tonight. It was like an inflatable raft, and I’m sure glad we opened it in the bedroom. My wife can’t wait to put the bedding on tomorrow after it airs out. It kinda has a chemical smell to it. I did lay on it though and it’s super comfy! But I was so tired and sore I almost couldn’t get back up. We are rounding the corner and I can see the end!

7F161667-4725-4A2C-A70C-F4D97FD18C59.jpeg
543B8621-5C3F-4B92-B56B-9CE992029E3B.jpeg
2E080AE9-F765-48E0-B17D-11BF8822AD8A.jpeg
CDAAEA1F-87A9-4EB0-8759-CD371B6214A9.jpeg

Yankee truck but the price is right...
2007 Crew cab c8500, isuzu motor, Allison transmission with pto air compressor, 132,000 miles

Sell the service body and buy the flatbed off my 7500 and you'll be in business

Finally got around to covering the couch. My wife bought some fabric from Hobby Lobby and totally guessed on how much she needed based on a rough measurement she took while I was at work.
I had some quotes on reupholstering the thing but they were all $350+ and I just wanted to see if I could do it.
I have never done anything like this, but I have put new fitted replacement covers on old Chevelle, C10 and Camaro seats with hog rings pliers many years ago. So I thought I’d take the same approach but fold the edges (since I me nor my wife can sew) and use zip ties, just covering over the old fabric.
74D96133-BADA-4126-B228-2381894509D9.jpeg
C4630DBE-CE3F-4520-9992-464E034DAF56.jpeg
A46B50B6-7BC1-4AEB-A21F-B76F40DBBB6B.jpeg
AFBCB786-A3BD-4B69-AE63-31FF225E346E.jpeg
E1399DA8-E8A8-4685-BCC1-C72D09BCC889.jpeg
574BF364-9B62-4DAE-B844-DD937138D539.jpeg

It honestly worked out quite well I thought! I removed the seat bottoms and back from the pivoting jack knife frame and wrapped each one separately, pulling them tight and keeping wrinkles out.
Once reinstalled on the frame and put back in the camper I was blown away! There is a vinyl cover that goes under the couch, which hides the stuff under it. It’s being painted tomorrow.

10364D78-EF11-4318-B03B-CCA94D16DE5F.jpeg

D463EE30-D4CE-49F5-990E-C7FBBA9BEECE.jpeg

3A0E4965-7F2C-43C2-AC7E-0851178E1DC0.jpeg

We also finished up our coffee bar.

B03CD096-4001-4EAE-881E-5277A418BC04.jpeg

3FB69C09-4071-4D86-95DF-9C677A43DFB8.jpeg

Tomorrow I will finish out the flooring, change the door knobs, finish the dinette, trim on the ceiling, and 1-2 other things I’m forgetting, and be done.
Except the fact that I need to put 1/4 round molding all around. I’ll need a chop saw and probably some better experienced help for that. But I’ll probably just try it myself, screw up several times and get it close enough lol.

So I’m gonna get a little sappy here so skip this if you don’t care. Another cool thing about this project has been how well me and my wife have done. I thought we’d be at the end of our ropes and ready to kill each other by now, but it’s actually been quite nice. Sure we had some frustrations, but only 2 times we actually disagreed and that was over in a few minutes.

We have both worked incredibly hard. I’m super proud of her for trying new things, willingness to pick up a tool and try something, get down on her hands and knees and attempt to fix some plumbing in a place I can’t fit, and she went and bought all of the paint and flooring and stuff all on her own while I was at work. We really grew together over this project and it’s been pretty awesome.

She mentioned last night how many times I’ve fixed our vehicles, washer/dryer, built a deck and more, now this. Said she was glad she married a capable man, even if he is a bit fat and has a wheeling addiction. Now realize, I never saw myself as all that capable. I’ve always called in a favor from a friend or a pro with big things. I was super intimidated when I started ripping that ceiling down and wasn’t real sure how in the heck I’d replace it. Sure it ain’t perfect, and I see all the imperfections but it’s way better than it was, and it don’t leak now.

We are very excited to see this come together, plus we’ve showed our kids how hard work and trying new things can pay off and that you don’t always have to run out and buy the nicest newest thing.

Now the final piece comes together this weekend, as me and @Chris_Keziah jump in a rental car and drive north all thru the night with a fat stack of cash, only to return broke and smiling….. stay tuned for the ultimate reveal soon!

Last edited:
It’s finished. Less than a month. I’m exhausted but it was so worth it. I still need to do the 1/4 round molding but that’ll be later.

I’ll get you guys more finished pics, and maybe a walk around video in a little bit. But for now, I believe I earned this first beer I’ve had in my new camper. Soaking it all in cause it just doesn’t even seem real.
560150BB-3111-4081-8598-AC213B87AF10.jpeg

Last edited:
It’s finished. Less than a month. I’m exhausted but it was so worth it. I still need to do the 1/4 round molding but that’ll be later.

I’ll get you guys more finished pics, and maybe a walk around video in a little bit. But for now, I believe I earned this first beer I’ve had in my new camper. Soaking it all in cause it just doesn’t even seem real.
View attachment 371720
Looks great. Nice job.

Awesome! This would have been a min 6yr project at the pace that I work.
Same for me, I've got several projects going on and I've vowed not to take another on until I at least finish one. I've also been trying to make a concerted effort lust recently to work on one a few hours on free nights. I tore my jeep down over a year ago and it still isn't back together, just because I haven't made the time to work on it. I need to motivate myself.
@77GreenMachine Its great your wife and kids can and are willing to help, not only are you doing a great thing remodeling it but building memories the girls will have forever, and building a stronger relationship with your wife. My son will jump in and help and we work together well most of the time. My wife wants to help but she gets bored quickly and I need to be more patient and less critical on things she tries to help with. The trailer looks great.

Same for me, I've got several projects going on and I've vowed not to take another on until I at least finish one. I've also been trying to make a concerted effort lust recently to work on one a few hours on free nights. I tore my jeep down over a year ago and it still isn't back together, just because I haven't made the time to work on it. I need to motivate myself.
@77GreenMachine Its great your wife and kids can and are willing to help, not only are you doing a great thing remodeling it but building memories the girls will have forever, and building a stronger relationship with your wife. My son will jump in and help and we work together well most of the time. My wife wants to help but she gets bored quickly and I need to be more patient and less critical on things she tries to help with. The trailer looks great.

Thanks for the kind words. I wish I could say my kids helped more and we had this amazing family time. While that did happen to a degree, there was a lot of “y’all go play and entertain yourself we are busy”
There was also a lot of neglect of regular house chores. The laundry got pretty backed up and we only recently got a handle back on that. My garage is awful.

I only say all that cause I’m not much for smoke and mirrors. I’m not nearly as patient and gentle as I need be. It’s a work in progress. But we did get them involved in painting and many other things, just in small doses.

I only say all that cause I’m not much for smoke and mirrors. I’m not nearly as patient and gentle as I need be. It’s a work in progress. But we did get them involved in painting and many other things, just in small doses.
Getting them involved in small doses is how it starts IMHO! I think a lot of us are guilty of the just let me do it mind frame from time to time.... If that is what you are saying. Great job.

Getting them involved in small doses is how it starts IMHO! I think a lot of us are guilty of the just let me do it mind frame from time to time.... If that is what you are saying. Great job.
Yeah it is "generally" easier to just do it myself so I don't have to teach and they don't have the learning curve I'm still struggling with.

Back