Carport/lean-to width for trailers

CasterTroy

Faster'N You
Lets say you had a 28-32 ft trailer, and you would like a carport to park it under. What would be a comfortable (minimal) width that you could back your trailer into when it's dark and raining?

12ft too narrow to work with?

I'd think 12' would be sufficient. My garage doors are 10' and I've backed car trailers and my old goose in, but not in adverse conditions.

12' would suffice but I personally would rather have 14-16' so you had walking room around the trailer to unload cooler/gear/etc out of the weather.

I'd take dark and raining out of the equation. If its dark and Ive got a tight window to hit the bitch can sit until the morning.

I'd take dark and raining out of the equation. If its dark and Ive got a tight window to hit the bitch can sit until the morning.

Hell no!

It's sunday night, and you've just driven 6hrs to get home (SOME of us on here still wheel at least once a month, even if we have to travel to do so :flipoff2::D) and you've just used 3 days vacation to hit some killer trails, so it's back to work for your sorry ass. And because it's winter (lets say it's mid-December) you have the pleasure of getting to the office in the dark, and leaving for home in the dark ALL DANG WEEK :rolleyes: so your next opportunity for daylight is saturday.....and that's blown because one of your kids has ......travelball, horse riding event out of town, broken vehicle 3 hrs away, dance recital in BFE....etc

This rig has to be parked tonight!

I'm going to make mine 16 or 20 wide

Hell no!

It's sunday night, and you've just driven 6hrs to get home (SOME of us on here still wheel at least once a month, even if we have to travel to do so :flipoff2::D) and you've just used 3 days vacation to hit some killer trails, so it's back to work for your sorry ass. And because it's winter (lets say it's mid-December) you have the pleasure of getting to the office in the dark, and leaving for home in the dark ALL DANG WEEK :rolleyes: so your next opportunity for daylight is saturday.....and that's blown because one of your kids has ......travelball, horse riding event out of town, broken vehicle 3 hrs away, dance recital in BFE....etc

Then make the bitch pull through where reverse isn't needed.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Hell no!

Looks like you need to get your priorities straight "Yeah boss man, I am gonna be in late tomorrow, I need to back in my trailer to the carport... errr I mean I have a dentist appointment I forgot about"

Can you square up to the opening and back straight in, or are you going to have to turn to get under it?

If you're turning into it, are you backing toward the PS or the DS?

I vote sell the open trailer, add the budget for carport, and buy the pimped out enclosed trailer.

Can you square up to the opening and back straight in
That's the plan. May be in grass a little doing so....or may have that far out gravelled. But SHOULD be able to come along the side and then pull away straight to back right in

Like mentioned before I would do 16 or 20ft wide so you can unload the trailer while it's raining. I have never heard anyone say, dang I really should have made this shelter smaller.

Sounds like you need to sell that 5 acres and buy 10 acres. [emoji16]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

That's a given. Five acres means you can't ever get further than 466ft from the neighbor's property. We have 3.5, and it's fine, but I'd be happier with 10.

Also, can/will you have some lights wired up in there or in front of it? To me, that would make a BIG difference in backing it in there at night and in the rain. You'd be able to see better with them hanging under the shelter than you would with them making a glare or shining out towards you when it's rainy and dark.

You're going to need a few of these:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00IY3YLCI/
Got 2 of those, as well as these (6 down at the corners and wheels, 2 up on the deck under the axles) and for good measure one of these pointing straight back on the tail as well as one shining down on the deck from the toolbox. Plus, what SHOULD be motion sensor lighting on every post of the "shed"

I should be able to see

Btw Casey, I have an offer in on the adjacent 22 acres...fingers crossed :huggy:

As long as your illumination is under the shed, you should be fine. Shining towards it in the rain will make a horrible glare. I'm thinking along the lines of how turning the lights on inside the house doesn't help you see outside through the window, it just lets everyone outside see inside of the house better.

If the price isn't much different, I'd go as wide as you can.

QUOTE="obullfish, post: 1604993, member: 16628"]I’d go 16’ as it shouldn’t cost that much more $$$ than 12’ [/QUOTE]

If the price isn't much different, I'd go as wide as you can.

This is where cost comes in. I'll post an elevation in the am to get an understanding of what I'm facing, but at this point the span is a shed length...i.e. the truss has terminated and now We're tying in at the facia for a spanned length. 12' is easily achieved....16ft would be a stretch over 80 ft (enclosed garage area is 80x30)

Back