Chainsaws

Can't believe that did not get one like... So My MS 460 pull broke and the pawls too. Ordered a kit off amazon. If broke on the first few tires and broke the rope. Ordered a stihl rope with the elastic stuff in it. It broke. Grrr.. Got a cheap plate off amazon that was bolt on. Rope pulled through the cheap plastic pull on the second try. Fortunately I've only spent about $75 on it all. She goes to the shop tomorrow unless someone paging @jeepinmatt can tell me wtf is going on? I'm wandering if the saw is snatching the rope in once it starts and breaking it? Doubtful but I'm frustrated here.

Can't believe that did not get one like... So My MS 460 pull broke and the pawls too. Ordered a kit off amazon. If broke on the first few tires and broke the rope. Ordered a stihl rope with the elastic stuff in it. It broke. Grrr.. Got a cheap plate off amazon that was bolt on. Rope pulled through the cheap plastic pull on the second try. Fortunately I've only spent about $75 on it all. She goes to the shop tomorrow unless someone paging @jeepinmatt can tell me wtf is going on? I'm wandering if the saw is snatching the rope in once it starts and breaking it? Doubtful but I'm frustrated here.
Does the saw turn over fairly easily with the decompressor valve engaged? (Disengaged? Haha)

Stihl
Got a smaller one for my wife and she loves it. As light as it is I use hers often. Stihl also extends warranty greatly(at least at Rural king) if you buy 1 bottle of their Stihl 2cycle mix.
Hers is two seasons old and runs great. Mine was my dad's larger model and runs great after 15yrs

Turns over fine to me. It feels no different. Feels like it has plenty of compression. I'll send you a video.
I'd double check to see if there's a sharp edge somewhere. I've only broken a pull string if it were already worn out pretty good.

The pawls breaking is weird. Is there any chance there was something jamming between the fins and the case?

I'd double check to see if there's a sharp edge somewhere. I've only broken a pull string if it were already worn out pretty good.

The pawls breaking is weird. Is there any chance there was something jamming between the fins and the case?
I guess anything is possible. Dropped it off and Hartsville Outdoor. Told them what all I did. The first rope was worn. I was expecting it to go. I was not expecting to find the pawls tab broken. The rope recoil was worn slap out.

Pick it up today. The rope guide was worn and had a sharp edge. They cleaned it up to use until the replacement gets in. Guide was $9. The repair today was $56.

I've had Ryobi 18V tools/batteries for about 20 yrs. since I first bought a 5 tool kit with the blue tools w 2 batteries. These tools have been used and abused and they still work fine. I bought a green 18v blower 4/5 yrs ago and a chainsaw and all of the tools have been used hard for years and they still run fine. Now I have 9 tools. About a month ago I bought this kit and I finally used it today. I was impressed with this cheap/tuff pole saw today. The charger was about junk but I have 4 more ones that work fine.

Last edited:
Figure I'll bump this thread back up since I've been working on saws. My sthil ms251 got flooded when my house flooded and it rusted up the rings and they broke. I debated buying a new saw, but said what the hell I'll try to rebuild it. Well a quick Amazon search I had parts ordered. Got it tore down and rebuilt in about 4 hrs. Spent a while getting the carb tuned and she's running good now. That got me itching to go through the saws that were in my shop when I cleaned it I threw about 2-3 dozen on a shelf to re evaluate at a later time.... it's time. Most were missing a ton of parts and or were just junk. But I saved about a dozen. I've ordered parts and should have two running mcculloch mini max 35s going. Several old homelights to fix and a massive Poulan saw.

Attachments

• 20230109_181257.jpg
    20230109_181257.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 56
Figure I'll bump this thread back up since I've been working on saws. My sthil ms251 got flooded when my house flooded and it rusted up the rings and they broke. I debated buying a new saw, but said what the hell I'll try to rebuild it. Well a quick Amazon search I had parts ordered. Got it tore down and rebuilt in about 4 hrs. Spent a while getting the carb tuned and she's running good now. That got me itching to go through the saws that were in my shop when I cleaned it I threw about 2-3 dozen on a shelf to re evaluate at a later time.... it's time. Most were missing a ton of parts and or were just junk. But I saved about a dozen. I've ordered parts and should have two running mcculloch mini max 35s going. Several old homelights to fix and a massive Poulan saw.
My dad and grandfather both had Homelites circa late 70s that were beasts. Heavy as can be and super powerful.
My young self couldn't hardly pick them up

Well got this power mac 6 and the mini max 35 to start on starting fluid. Power mac needs a new pull cord, bar and chain air filter and spark plug and should be good to go.
The mini max needs air filter and housing, bar and chain, spark plug and I'll probably get a pull cord for it to. And then I gotta figure out what is missing from the manual oiler

Attachments

• 20230110_182353.jpg
    20230110_182353.jpg
    178.7 KB · Views: 50
My 261 ripped the drive sprocket apart. So I replaced it with a proper Stihl one.

3B91B616-75EE-41D1-83FE-244EA2584CEF.jpeg

Busted out my grandpas old xl on a job the other day. Still runs like a champ!
That echo 2511T is my favorite saw. Friend that sent it to me did some exhaust work on it and it puts a smile on my face every time I use it. Sounds just as good to me as my stihl 460 with a bark box. Have you swapped over to the stihl bar and chain on yours? It’s something I need to do.

That echo 2511T is my favorite saw. Friend that sent it to me did some exhaust work on it and it puts a smile on my face every time I use it. Sounds just as good to me as my stihl 460 with a bark box. Have you swapped over to the stihl bar and chain on yours? It’s something I need to do.
Oh yea. I probably use that saw more than anything I have! The exhaust and some tuning really wakes them up for sure. As far as the bar I run the panther kit from monkey beaver. It converted it to 1/4” pitch and I went with a 14” bar. It made a world of difference too. About as much as exhaust and tuning
B9A54A97-21E2-43A5-9EF5-49B4FD0088B7.jpeg

If you go the route of the stihl bar you have to either weld up the oil holes or make a little blocker plate or the oil just leaks out the little hole. The oil ports are in different locations on stihl vs echo. Bar mount is the same however.
F85462DD-A078-4E17-8BFF-EAF35FFAD856.jpeg

And this is the part number for the 1/4 pitch clutch drum for the echo
980BDF4D-D0F8-4736-BE12-E8DB3C43F1B7.jpeg

Back