Chainsaws

Finally put the 385 back together tonight.
New brake, “ported” muffler, a few bearings, dogs, tapped the dog mounts out to 1/4-20 since they were stripped and a fresh 28” bar and chain.
E6C1E5DE-7A68-4286-816A-F705FC09690C.jpeg

A68FAD8A-1E11-44DE-BAD9-F2FA6C855A7F.jpeg

one of my dads buddies is rebuilding my 262xp right now

Picked up a ms461 power head the other day needs a top end( it's ordered) any one run one? If so what bar/chain length balances the saw out? As in I can pick it up by the front handle and it doesn't tip much either way

I have a 462 that I run a 20" bar on and it's pretty balanced. I've ran a 25" and 32" on it too, but it's pretty heavy on the bar end and not very balanced. A 25" light bar might be ok though.

Yep, a 20" is balanced. I prefer a 25" because it adds a little weight out front which saves some effort when cutting below waist height, like bucking up firewood. But it'll run either of those just fine. I had the 20" on my 046/460 this weekend because it was on it when I pulled it out. @Danger_Ranger's 462 might be lighter than an 046/461 also. At some point in the past 15 years, I bought an 18" for mine, and it just doesn't feel like enough load on the motor, so I'd advise against that. I've also used it with a 36" in a pinch when the MS661 was acting up, and with a brand new chain it did great, but the 25" just feels right on it to me and is what's on mine 80% of the time.

Picked up a ms461 power head the other day needs a top end( it's ordered) any one run one? If so what bar/chain length balances the saw out? As in I can pick it up by the front handle and it doesn't tip much either way
I run a 25" bar with a 3/8 skip tooth chain on my 461. I feel like that combo performs best on a 46 size saw. I grew up with a dad that logged and then later did tree work. I've always based the bar off of what the saw performed best with, until you get to a bigger saw. I run a 20" or 25" on an 036, 25" on 461 (like Matt said, I also prefer a 25" because it makes cutting up wood on the ground a lot easier on my back), and my 066 and 880 go between 25", 33", and 44" bars, depending on what I'm cutting.

@Danger_Ranger
@jeepinmatt

Appreciate the feed back. I'm not sure I'll even keep it, I will give it a chance though. May just throw a Oregon or similar aftermarket 24" on there.
Keep it and run it a bit and see it you start to love it. I’ve had everything from the tiny little MS140 to an MS661 (and the Husky equivalent of an MS880), but my go to is my old 046. The 046/460/461/462 size saw is my favorite.

Keep it and run it a bit and see it you start to love it. I’ve had everything from the tiny little MS140 to an MS661 (and the Husky equivalent of an MS880), but my go to is my old 046. The 046/460/461/462 size saw is my favorite.
I will. But if it doesn't run/start any better than my 066 it'll have to find a new home.

It will. I'm with Matt. 46 is my favorite Stihl. I share your same love hate relationship with my 066.
I bought a 661 Mtronic so I wouldn’t have to deal with that. Sucker cranks great!

Then runs for 4-5 minutes and dies. Won’t crank back up for another half hour. Every dang time I’ve used it in the past year.

:kaioken:

My 066 runs great when it runs, two different folks have worked on it and brag about how good of shape its in and how good it runs. Then it decides it doesn't want to run on certain days, has fuel, spark and 120-130# compression. I would gladly trade it for another 390-395xp in good shape

I bought a 661 Mtronic so I wouldn’t have to deal with that. Sucker cranks great!

Then runs for 4-5 minutes and dies. Won’t crank back up for another half hour. Every dang time I’ve used it in the past year.

Have you had it in to test the compression on the top and bottom end? A while back when my husky was giving me fits it was the exact same scenario and wound up being a jug issue (starvation due to the carb leaning out) causing scoring. Replaced the top end and carb, and it’s like a new saw. Went kinda cheap on parts but it is still going strong. I think I had $75-80 into it.

Have you had it in to test the compression on the top and bottom end? A while back when my husky was giving me fits it was the exact same scenario and wound up being a jug issue (starvation due to the carb leaning out) causing scoring. Replaced the top end and carb, and it’s like a new saw. Went kinda cheap on parts but it is still going strong. I think I had $75-80 into it.
It's a fairly new top end.

I've got the 461 from Matt with a 32" bar for cutting down these big pines. I use a 261 with a 18" bar for limbing. The 461 is eating starter rope. SO I plan to take it to the shop today. Great saw. I'd like to get a bigger one but haven't looked into which one to get.

It had less than 1hr on it when I got it. Now it might have 2hrs. Compression is stupid high. It’s also professionally ported.
I've got the 461 from Matt with a 32" bar for cutting down these big pines. I use a 261 with a 18" bar for limbing. The 461 is eating starter rope. SO I plan to take it to the shop today. Great saw. I'd like to get a bigger one but haven't looked into which one to get.
Check the little ferrule or whatever its called on the side cover where the rope slides through. There shouldn't be anything wearing on it. If I remember right, I replaced the pull cord on that one before I sold it to you. The one on my 046 looked 15 years old and original in 2007 when I bought it, and it held on another 10 or 12 years after that, so they should last a pretty good while.

It had less than 1hr on it when I got it. Now it might have 2hrs. Compression is stupid high. It’s also professionally ported.

Check the little ferrule or whatever its called on the side cover where the rope slides through. There shouldn't be anything wearing on it. If I remember right, I replaced the pull cord on that one before I sold it to you. The one on my 046 looked 15 years old and original in 2007 when I bought it, and it held on another 10 or 12 years after that, so they should last a pretty good while.
I actually had that replaced last year when it ate a rope. I noticed it was worn. This time I put a new rope on and it exploded the pawls and the wheel. Luckily I had a cheap Chinese knock off and was able to cut the tree down yesterday. the knock off the pawls don't eject right so I have to monkey with it to get it to catch. I'm becoming a firm believer of getting it done right these days. I think the saw is somehow catching the wheel and snapping the rope. The last one it ate did that.

My dad bought my 066 with a busted case from being dropped. We replaced the case and rebuilt the saw. It pretty much does the same thing. When it runs, it runs great. It just doesn't like to run when I like for it to run, so it sits on the shelf and the 880 gets brought out. I can't say anything bad about the 880, except for it being heavy. Starts every time. If you pinch the bar, it'll just shove itself out. Its a lot of fun to run. But the 461 is always my go to unless it's big hardwood.

Found out today my saw is a 460 Magnum. Was sold to a timber company in VA in 2012. Sounds like I need to avoid the 660’s.

Just ordered a new top end kit for my 660 today. Spark plug hole stripped put. Figured if I had to take the jug off to fix the threads, I might as well replace it all while I was at it.

Back