Chainsaws

I did the panther conversion on my 2511T and it makes a big difference. I also just added the 3 point dogs from west coast saw and that helps it dig in a little better too.

So I have bent the 24” bar on my 461. Where is the best place to buy a new bar?

I've not got a lot of experience with saws as mch as most of you. I have saw, about the same saws for the most part, except for the bar length. They are Husky 435m an a 440. I took a road trip down to my friend George's house and he worked on them, neither had been cranked in 2-3 years. Emptied out everything, pulled cover, cleaned up the air filter (neither were really bad). Spark plugs looke good, lil cleaning, checked gap, Put them all back together. Primer bulb was full one one, It cranked on first pull! Took three pulls for the other. the 440 needed a lil carb adjustment. In the end, had two good running saws! I've run a couple tanks through them, and had to sharpen one again. Very happy with them.

If replacing it with another Stihl bar, pretty much any dealer. I don't know of anyplace that sells Stihl for less than MSRP.
Yep, you might can find something on CL/FB, but otherwise the dealer is your best bet. Also, you can straighten them if its not too bad. I ran over one with my dozer one time, and bent it back enough to function. It was never as good as new though.

Yep, you might can find something on CL/FB, but otherwise the dealer is your best bet. Also, you can straighten them if its not too bad. I ran over one with my dozer one time, and bent it back enough to function. It was never as good as new though.
Yeah I have “straightened” it but still likes to walk in cuts. Plus I have burn on it from pinching the chain. I guess I should go get a nice new purdy one so I can admire it on the shelf like I do my jeep in the garage :laughing:

While we're on the topic of chainsaws...

I got some Archer brand chain for the 36" bar, and it stretched like a mofo. I had to tighten it 5 times in less than 2hrs of use, and now I'm almost out of bar travel. Stihl OEM chain is the way to go.

While we're on the topic of chainsaws...

I got some Archer brand chain for the 36" bar, and it stretched like a mofo. I had to tighten it 5 times in less than 2hrs of use, and now I'm almost out of bar travel. Stihl OEM chain is the way to go.
This and make sure it is the “may kill you” yellow line chain

This and make sure it is the “may kill you” yellow line chain
Actually for this saw I run the "will kill you" skip tooth that they don't even put a color on :D

Actually for this saw I run the "will kill you" skip tooth that they don't even put a color on :D
Same!! That thing eats, but it will throw back on you pretty easy

Rural king here in Morganton, is a sthil dealer, their prices seem to be pretty good.
So is the Rural King in Martinsville. I have not seen a difference in price at ant brick and mortar store. Northwest hardware, Rutal King, Eden Lawnmower, Scotts equipment and Big Apple all have the same prices on chains. Didn't pay attention on bars as when I bought my 261CM, I just told the man to give me the 16" bar and chain at the same time.

Great little Stihl shop above me in Union Grove. They actually sent me to another shop (Statesville area) when I had the Echo rebuilt. They send each other work when the other brand pops up. That is respect in my book, instead of trying to only sell themselves.

Great little Stihl shop above me in Union Grove. They actually sent me to another shop (Statesville area) when I had the Echo rebuilt. They send each other work when the other brand pops up. That is respect in my book, instead of trying to only sell themselves.

FWIW the one in union Grove is who we use for the FD

Webster Brothers in Walkertown or Farmers Feed and Seed in K'ville should have what you need.

I "cut my teeth" with saw in 1985 when my dad stopped cutting trees down w his friends and gave it to me.
20230205_155418.jpg
20230205_155734.jpg
20230205_155817.jpg

And no, I did not cut down the these trees. I had a old man that worked at Burke Hardware work on it in 89?, new piston etc. and after the rebuild the saw scared me! It would cut hickory like butter. Only problem was the noise, so loud even w my ear muffs it hurt my ears! I cut down a bunch of trees/storm felled/ fire wood over the years. It Stihl runs like scalded dog but my neighbors get their panties in a wad whenever I start it and run it.

Last edited:
I "cut my teeth" with saw in 1985 when my dad stopped cutting trees down w his friends and gave it to me.View attachment 391265View attachment 391266View attachment 391267
And no, I did not cut down the these trees. I had a old man that worked at Burke Hardware work on it in 89?, new piston etc. and after the rebuild the saw scared me! It would cut hickory like butter. Only problem was the noise, so loud even w my ear muffs it hurt my ears! I cut down a bunch of trees/storm felled/ fire wood over the years. It Stihl runs like scalded dog but my neighbors get their panties in a wad whenever I start it and run it.
You know what model that one is? I've got one that looks just like that I think it's an xl 101

Grabbed this 385xp off marketplace for a while back for a price that made me question its source and history. The brake has never worked and the handguard was pretty rough to move. I needed to drink a beer and tinker tonight so I threw it on the bench and got to work. Brake band was broken not to mention all of the springs and pretty much the whole saw was packed full of sawdust. The clutch drum bearing was drier than a nun as well.

I’ll get some parts on order, give it a deep cleaning and have it back in service.
A76D6FD8-F3E8-405A-814E-81683C1B0C44.jpeg

9528D288-31D2-4116-8B44-B735775AB956.jpeg

I've been using my Milwaukee M18 saw for 99% of the stuff i have to drop or trim around the house. The stroms last week made me break out my old Husky 50. It made quick work of this mess
IMG_9240.jpeg
IMG_3212.jpeg

Grabbed this 385xp off marketplace for a while back for a price that made me question its source and history. The brake has never worked and the handguard was pretty rough to move. I needed to drink a beer and tinker tonight so I threw it on the bench and got to work. Brake band was broken not to mention all of the springs and pretty much the whole saw was packed full of sawdust. The clutch drum bearing was drier than a nun as well.

I’ll get some parts on order, give it a deep cleaning and have it back in service.
View attachment 396554
View attachment 396555
Your pinky is very chode like

Back