Chainsaws

@CasterTroy , have you got anything yet? I went looking for a Stihl today because my other powered equipment is Stihl and runs great, and my Dad and brother have Stihl chainsaws that just flat out work. The hardware store guy showed me the Stihl, then the comparable Echo for the same price. Like your salesman, he was convinced the Echo was the better saw. He showed me several things that the Echo has done better, and the Echo warranty is 5 years vs 1 year warranty for the Stihl. I came home with an Echo catalog. Haven't decided yet though.

@CasterTroy , have you got anything yet? .

Not yet. I'm taking @BigClay up on his offer and going to try out a couple to see the size that I "need" first.
Then I'll head back over and decide between stihl and echo.
Let me know which way you finally sway!! I'm interested in seeing where this goes.

I'll keep that offer in mind encase I get on the meth or something. Lol

I have disassembled it, and can say it's not as fun to work on as husky's of the same size. Stuff just harder to get to in my opinion.
They are different Fer sure ...it's all in what you get used to

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

While not worthy of this thread by any means, never write off a saw that doesn't run. 2stroke engines are simple. This is probably the 5th or so saw that I have been given in the last few years that someone had given up on. And like all the others, it needed very little work to get it running. Only money spent on this one has been a new chain. Even nicer saws that need a top end you can be into for $150 or so if you do the work yourself.
IMG_1463.JPG

I found out an engineer I work with refurbs chainsaws. He has a Craftsman Poulan 3816 for sale right now with a new chain and rebuilt carb. I could get it for 1/3 of a new Stihl or Echo. Now I'm trying to decide if I should just settle for that or go all out. Knowing me, I'd regret it if I settled.

I found out an engineer I work with refurbs chainsaws. He has a Craftsman Poulan 3816 for sale right now with a new chain and rebuilt carb. I could get it for 1/3 of a new Stihl or Echo. Now I'm trying to decide if I should just settle for that or go all out. Knowing me, I'd regret it if I settled.

The hit or miss on these cheaper saws is settling. Only reason I own two Poulans is there's is maybe $60 spent between the two.

The only reason the Poulan pro I have in the garage doesnt' run is because the fuel lines have all disintegrated and I can't find a way to get more fuel line thru the fill hole in the fuel tank to connect to the nipple on the carb pickup. And I'm not spending $150 for someone else to repair it when I can get a 251 stihl for $329

The only reason the Poulan pro I have in the garage doesnt' run is because the fuel lines have all disintegrated and I can't find a way to get more fuel line thru the fill hole in the fuel tank to connect to the nipple on the carb pickup. And I'm not spending $150 for someone else to repair it when I can get a 251 stihl for $329

So basically your just using the bad fuel lines as justification to buy a new chainsaw. Yours is still perfectly fixable with minimal effort :lol:

Aboristsite seems to keep throwing out the Dolmar 421 as being SO much better than the stihl

I've never even HEARD of a Dolmar?!?!?

Aboristsite seems to keep throwing out the Dolmar 421 as being SO much better than the stihl

Yeah and the 4x4 site keeps throwing out jeep as the best option too. We all know how slanted(and wrong:flipoff2:) a specialty board can get

I have a 4 stroke Dolmar weed eater that I've had for a couple years. It usually starts on the 1st or 2nd pull. So far I haven't had a single problem with it.

Dolmar, Stihl, and Husky pro grade stuff is all on the same level. Dolmar can be had a little cheaper. If you're branching out from the mainstream brands, also consider Jonsered and Redmax. But be careful, internet chainsaw research is an endless cesspool. Go with what you like, they are all more reliable than chains staying sharp and fuel staying fresh.

internet chainsaw research is an endless cesspool.

Without a doubt. There are whole corners of the internet that I didn't know existed. But I suppose if there are entire forums dedicated to those vaping thingies, a whole forum dedicated to just chainsaws with typical forum elitist trolls shouldn't be so surprising.

I had just never heard of Dolmar....or if I had, hadn't recognized it.

At some point it was Sachs-Dolmar, and now just Dolmar. So if you are familiar with old Sachs...

I just got a Stihl 170 because I don’t need a big saw and the dealer/service is real close to home. If I’m cutting bigger stuff, it will be because I’m helping my daddy or father in law and both of them have big saws. So far it has cut down about 8 trees about 12” diameter. It wasn’t the fastest, but it got the job done.

Back